Anyone have a VDP KoolBreez top? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone have a VDP KoolBreez top?

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
arveetek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have a VDP KoolBreez top?

I'm trying to decide how to spend my Quadratec gift certificates I received for Christmas ( ), and I'm interested in this KoolBreez top:

Vertically Driven Products 9702FJKB - VDP KoolBreez™ Full Roll Bar Top for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ - Quadratec

Anybody here have one that could share their opinions of it? I have a regular bikini top, but I want a full top to protect my little girl when she's riding in the back. I mostly want to keep the sun off, not worried about water.

Thanks!

Casey

Unread 01-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
arveetek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also, would you choose the VDP KoolBreez or the Spiderweb ShadeTop, if you had the choice? The SpiderWeb is $10 more, but it doesn't cover quite as wide....just a bit of a gap all around the edges.

Thanks,

Casey
Unread 01-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard nothing but fantastic things from the VDP. I will prob pick one up this spring
1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've run the VDP top all summer for the past three years. It's a good top and is holding up well. You will need a windshield header channel to install the VDP top which isn't needed with the Spiderweb top. From what I see in the photos, I don't like the way the front of the Spiderweb attaches to the windshield.

I've ridden in rigs with the solid fabric bikini tops and for what they do I felt like you might as will leave the soft top on and just remove the windows. I much prefer the mesh fabric and the more open sensation feeling you get with it.
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Spider Web top, and love it! Never seen the VDP top. But like the person above me said, the mesh is great at helping you keep the open air feeling. Takes like a minute to install or remove, and can be configured differently if you need/want to.

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
arveetek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
I've run the VDP top all summer for the past three years. It's a good top and is holding up well. You will need a windshield header channel to install the VDP top which isn't needed with the Spiderweb top. From what I see in the photos, I don't like the way the front of the Spiderweb attaches to the windshield.

I've ridden in rigs with the solid fabric bikini tops and for what they do I felt like you might as will leave the soft top on and just remove the windows. I much prefer the mesh fabric and the more open sensation feeling you get with it.
Do you have the full top or bikini top? If full, is it one or two pieces? It kinda looks from the pics like the full top is in two pieces.

Thanks,

Casey
Unread 01-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
Do you have the full top or bikini top? If full, is it one or two pieces? It kinda looks from the pics like the full top is in two pieces.

Thanks,

Casey
I have the full top, it extends across the passenger area. Why should I have shade and make my dog's stay in the sun? They would most likely rebel and go on strike. It's one piece. There's a reinforcing band at about the mid point, that's what you're seeing.
Unread 01-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Bella02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i have the spiderweb shade top, and i love it. it doesn't require a header bar to install, and you configure it in a few different ways. it provides lots of shade for the back seat also, so your little girl will be covered. very easy to install, and you can leave it on and throw your soft top on over it if you get caught in a shower.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
Bella02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
arveetek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
I have the full top, it extends across the passenger area. Why should I have shade and make my dog's stay in the sun? They would most likely rebel and go on strike. It's one piece. There's a reinforcing band at about the mid point, that's what you're seeing.
Thanks, I appreciate the info!

Casey
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
Nrsnit
1999 TJ Wrangler 

VDP KoolBreez™ Full Roll Bar Top

I recently bought the camo full one -- installing the header bar was a sinch.

However, I'm killing myself a slow death trying to get this messh full top on!

NO instructions came with it. I'm not sure:

1. Install the front to the closest part of the Jeep or the next one up.

2. The strap inside in the very middle -- where does that even go???

Any input would be welcomed. TIA.
Nrsnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
wesboy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure what the first question is
My VDP brief top has a hard plastic strip which slots in the windshield header.

The strap in the middle wraps around the rollbar on the Jeep and ties off on the footman loop on the windshield frame - see this pic I nicked off the VDP site
http://www.vdpusa.com/jeep/full-tops...nylon-mesh.php

koolbreez-full-top-lg.jpg
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #12
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought a VDP top, but want to modify it so I don't need to use the windshield header (so I can use it under my soft/hardtop as a sleeve, like the Spiderweb ones.)
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
BrokerDon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I just bought a VDP top, but want to modify it so I don't need to use the windshield header (so I can use it under my soft/hardtop as a sleeve, like the Spiderweb ones.)
I eliminated the windshield header with our VDP KoolBreeze Full Roll Bar Top by wrapping the front of the KoolBreeze around the padded T shaped front piece of our OR Fab Sport Cage and the rear of the KoolBreeze to the rear crossbar of our OR Fab Sport Cage. Fits PERFECTLY, no flapping, and provides shade coverage everywhere we need while leaving easy access to the soft top clamps for easy factory top attachment / removal WITHOUT having to remove the KoolBreeze at all. Best of both worlds having the KoolBreeze and factory soft top.

Read more: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/267734...#ixzz2fACpXipR
img_2286.jpg

vdp-koolbreeze-fab-sport-cage-2.jpg

img_2284.jpg

vdp-koolbreeze-fab-sport-cage-1.jpg

BrokerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks cool BrokerDon, think it would it work that way without the OrFab bars?

I was just thinking of cutting the header part off the VDP top, sewing it flat with or with out something in it to keep the front edge rigid, and using the flat ties like it mounts on the side and back etc to hook it up (kinda like the Spiderweb ones mount)?
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
drandersoninc

2003 TJ Wrangler 

To echo some folks thoughts here. I have the full VDP Coolbreeze top

1) Install instructions are non-existent. Plan for some time / frustration to figure it out
2) Quality is excellent, great coverage and allows enough sunlight out to feel like a convertible but saves you from the direct sunlight
3) Hate the header channel attachment - requires taking that off to put on the soft top and vice versa. Like others I'm looking for a way to avoid doing that.
4) Minimal noise, numerous cinch straps help keep it firm and tight
drandersoninc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.