anyone have a prerunner/long travel/crawler tj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > anyone have a prerunner/long travel/crawler tj?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
mxtrails
2003 TJ Wrangler 

anyone have a prerunner/long travel/crawler tj?

i've been planning out what direction i want to go with my rubicon. being in michigan we have a wide variety of wheeling situations. i enjoy slow crawling type trails and hill climbs but i also like wider high speed two track trails with woops. we've also got silver lake sand dunes nearby makes jumping irresistible. i'm not big into mudding or crazy rock crawling. i do want to be able to drive my truck home from wheeling so i'm looking to maintain stability/streetablity. has anyone built their rig more towards multipurpose/high speed use like a desert prerunner but with some crawling capabilities? anyone got ideas or examples?

mxtrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
mcg311TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

that won't be easy with that short of a wheel base. Might look at running LA and a f/r stretch. coilovers sound like a much.
mcg311TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
mxtrails
2003 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, i understand the short wheelbase is certainly not ideal for high speed stuff however, it's great for tight trails. there's always going to be a compromise. i'd like to keep my 35" tires and stay at 4" of lift. i'm definitely considering long arms (which have some adjustability for length/wheelbase). the new rough country LA upgrade specifically. can't beat the price at 900 bucks. i'm also looking into the diy highline fender idea to keep the up travel i have, not limiting it with extended bumpstops. long arms would also give more downtravel. to take advantage of the longer axle stroke i'd have to find a way to run longer shocks. i'v seen a few ppl notch the outside of the frame in the rear so the shocks can be run outboard of the frame. for the front i'v seen modified and lengthened upper shock towers and custom hoops to lengthen the front shocks. those are my ideas for now. any other input?
Unread 03-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
BarneyJEEP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

if you're looking at jumping and fast stuff then you'll prolly need to build custom control arms that withstand the forces put upon them. You'll also likely need aftermarket axles with thicker tubes and truss them. Coil overs would most deffinately be the way to go for go fast stuff.
Unread 03-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
06rubicon
1998 ZJ 

I think you might want to talk to Mr. Blaine at Savvy Offroad. He has some experience with building TJ's for moving faster on whooped out dirt roads between rock crawling sections. "King of the Hammers" kind of stuff.
06rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
mxtrails
2003 TJ Wrangler 

where is savvy offroad and how do i get a hold of him? sounds like exactly the advice i'm looking for!
Unread 03-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Search for the user mrblaine.
Unread 03-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
The27Jeenyus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxtrails View Post
yeah, i understand the short wheelbase is certainly not ideal for high speed stuff however, it's great for tight trails. there's always going to be a compromise. i'd like to keep my 35" tires and stay at 4" of lift. i'm definitely considering long arms (which have some adjustability for length/wheelbase). the new rough country LA upgrade specifically. can't beat the price at 900 bucks. i'm also looking into the diy highline fender idea to keep the up travel i have, not limiting it with extended bumpstops. long arms would also give more downtravel. to take advantage of the longer axle stroke i'd have to find a way to run longer shocks. i'v seen a few ppl notch the outside of the frame in the rear so the shocks can be run outboard of the frame. for the front i'v seen modified and lengthened upper shock towers and custom hoops to lengthen the front shocks. those are my ideas for now. any other input?
the RC long arm geometry is just plain stupid, please look into a better long arm upgrade. rock krawler or TNT, or if you want to build it yourself check out poly performance's kit
Originally Posted by Willy36 View Post
icequeen's got something sticky in her hair from some dude named zach
The27Jeenyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
The27Jeenyus

oh and if youre from shelby township, where are these high speed trails at?
Originally Posted by Willy36 View Post
icequeen's got something sticky in her hair from some dude named zach
The27Jeenyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
mxtrails
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i know the geometry of the RC is a little funky where it mounts to the frame. i haven't decided on that kit, it just caught my eye. i'm still researching. i like the tnt upgrade, especially the triangulated rear end and y link front. not sure about the 4 link front of the rock krawler setup. i have considered making my own but not really an option for me right now since i don't currently have a shop setup of my own. and there are no high speed trails in shelby township as you obviously know. there are however, plenty up north near my cabin. i also don't plan on living in michigan for more than a few years. looking into utah.
Unread 03-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
spdnjoe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Theres a guy on here. goes by TJDUALSPORT . He runs fox resevoirs with a 4" lift and does pre running with it. I've seenvideo of him in the woops and jumping about 4 feet off the ground over the whole road in the desert.

He also goes by RAWKON on another forum. Click on this link. He got pics and video in a woop section.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f24/joh...ics-42287.html
spdnjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 04:09 AM   #12
mxtrails
2003 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, i've seen that guy. that's a real nice rig! he does a little bit of crawling and a little prerunning. that's how i'd like to set mine up but with a little more suspension travel.

Tags
desert , jump , long travel , prerunner , woops

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.