Anyone Content With 31" Tires And Don't Wish They Had Gone Bigger? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone Content With 31" Tires And Don't Wish They Had Gone Bigger?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 03-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Rushmore

Anyone Content With 31" Tires And Don't Wish They Had Gone Bigger?

Hello. I just bought another Jeep. It's my third one, and I plan to drive it pretty regularly. I've never had larger than 31" tires w/ a 2" bb lift. The Jeep I had the aforementioned 31"/BB lift was a 4 cyl. , which was part of the reason I didn't go bigger. I now have a TJ Sport w/ the 4.0 and if I choose to do so, I can go / a bigger tire and lift. I don't want to get something and later wish I had gone bigger like many have said has happened with them. I personally didn't feel that before w/ the 31" tires. I don't get many opportunities to offroad it, although I'd like to e able to do so when i do. I basically want to be content and not regret going larger. Should I compromise and go with 32" tires, or go with 31's? I will definitely get a modest lift with whatever I decide. I definitely want to go bigger than stock, but want to have a good balance between daily driving and offroad capability on the times I would want to offroad it. So, anyone completely happy they went 31s? Thanks a bunch. I'm very happy to be driving a Jeep again! I look forward to your replies.

Rushmore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

TJ guys might be more helpful...heck, I run 33s and wish I had 35s...having said that...go with the 32s...friend of mine has an 03 TJ and it has a 2" BB with 32s and it looks great!!

drives and crawls well too
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
Rushmore

##@! My bad mods. Not like me to do this, but I meant to post this in the TJ section. I just refreshed it and noticed. Thanks for the reply anyway Yoda .
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
kswyg001
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, on a TJ deff go with 32s, they'll measure closer to 31 anyhow (I've had 4 tj's)
kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
kizer

33 | 32 | 31

I'm running the 33's personally as well I'm very aware the 31's look a little smaller because they are under the weight of the Jeep, but did it for comparison reasons a while back and I thought it would make a cool picture.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:04 AM   #6
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

not a tj, but I have 31s and wish I went 35s. still plan on it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
davewjcook
Senior Brew-Engr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I decided to go with Bestop bumpers and tire carrier instead of larger tires & lift, and couldn't be happier. '01 4.0L on 31's (BFG AT's) and no lift, never have rubbing issues, and haven't found a spot yet that I couldn't get to that my buddies with 33's and 35's could. Not saying the spots don't exist, but the 31's have gotten me a lot of places where most people assume you need larger tires and a lift. If I were you, I'd look really carefully at whether the 31's would fit without a lift - check clearance at full flex, etc. Leaves more money for other mods!
davewjcook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:59 AM   #8
JustJeepin85
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i had 31's sitting stock hated it... never big enough, felt small and looked small... the stance was nice and i liked how wide it looked but just wasnt enough. that said, now i have 33's with metal cloacks and its still not quite enough... i want bigger... go big or go home... youll regret having to redo the same work youve already done...

my opinion, 31's too small looks too stock just like the soccer moms in the jk's
32" just an odd number but still small...
33" almost perfect but im a jeeper never will be happy with the size but i like the look and ride, gas eats a bit of a hole in your pocket...
35" where i wanna be but at this point you have to regear... and do other work to the ****...

good luck with whatever you go with... a jeeper will still be unsatisfied... and want more... its life, build work, just to tear it down and work on it more...
JustJeepin85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 03:45 AM   #9
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

i built my jeep with 37s, custom axles, arbs, etc etc. i built my dads on 32s and pretty stockish. to be honest i get a real kick out of wheeling his. mine sorta takes the fun out of it on all but the most demanding terrain. his you really have to drive it. its challenging. im kinda over having to "run with the big dogs."
Unread 03-30-2011, 03:53 AM   #10
imbezol
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just start building for 42s out of the gate. Then you don't have to rebuy your whole drivetrain several times as you go larger.
imbezol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:07 AM   #11
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm on Jeep # 7 and had 31" MTZ's many years ago.I thought they looked great with a 2.25" BB and said I'd never go bigger.My brother got 33's three months later and my 31's looked puny.I sold them to a neighbor and jumped to 35's.After running 35's I'd never go smaller.Now even my 35's look small to me. My 35's and auto can creep with ease over things that my 31's couldn't get over after many tries.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 06:29 AM   #12
Russ Chung

2005 TJ Wrangler 

You didn't say what model axle and what your axle ratio is and it's not shown in your profile. You said that your new TJ is a Sport. Hopefully, you have a D44 with 3.73 gears. Before I regeared, I had a D35/3.07 axle, so I couldn't go larger than 31s because I was only turning about 2000 rpm at highway speed. Also, I used to carry spare D35 axle shafts, and I never needed them for myself, but in two years, I loaned them to other wheelers four times. In each case, they were running D35 with 33s or 35s with lockers. I now have D44/4.10 on 33s. I'm turning about 2300 rpm at highway speed and I've run trails such as the Fordyce and Dusy Ershim that I would not have tried to run on 31s.
Unread 03-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #13
Rushmore

Thanks so far for the replies. I was kinda hoping there would be more people who didn't recommend to go bigger since it's more costly etc. , but you guys certainly have me wanting to consider bigger from your stories. I definitely still want to keep it somewhat modest, but it sounds like 32" or 33" is relatively modest in comparison to many here lol. Maybe I should compromise and go 32". Regarding the axl, I am not sure. I feel stupid for saying that, but I really don't know at this point. Thanks a ton for the help thus far, and I welcome any more replies or feedback. Very happy to be back in a Jeep and back here again.
Unread 03-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #14
JMredwine

Rushmore, I've had 3 TJ's. My first one I had 33's and a 4"suspension. It was an awesome set up and I really felt like I could go anywhere with it, without having to change too much as far as axles and the lot go. But the gas mileage loss, along with fewer highway manners, made for not so great a DD. So my last two Jeeps I have run 31" tires and the BB. Well on my current one, I just got it a couple weeks ago, so right now I'm stock on 31's. But the truth is, that's good enough to go anywhere I'm going to take it. When I was young and had no responsibilities and had all this time and money to take lots of trips to OHV parks and places I could do serious wheeling, the 33's were perfect no question. But now that I get to do that stuff maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and the rest of hte time I'm just messing around town or taking it to the OBX, 31's are more than sufficient, allow me to still have off road prowess, but keep all the highway "manners" that a Jeep can possibly have without taking any gas hit. It's just more practical for a Jeep that's on the road 80% of the time. Invest your money in a tummy tuck, and some Lockers instead of a huge lift and tires and all the headache that goes with it. You'll probably always want more, but just learn to be satisfied! Save you time, money, and headaches in the long run.

Just one man's opinion.
JMredwine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #15
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Strictly opinion, of course, but I always thought regular TJs, given the body size and other visual cues, looked proportionately best at about 3" of lift and 33" tires.
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.