Anyone break a Truetrac? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone break a Truetrac?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-14-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone break a Truetrac?

Just wondering if anyone has broke a true track? There has been alot of talk about them lately, all good. Just wondering if anyone has had problems with them.....

McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
wil badger

they can break but it takes a lot to get it done or inproper installation
Unread 04-14-2007, 11:18 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Truetrac has a superb reputation for reliability and strength.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
The Truetrac has a superb reputation for reliability and strength.
Thanks guys. I was just wondering about it. It seems like lately I have heard alot of people bashing the Detroit Soft Locker. Saying that when a shaft breaks it will take out the locker with it. I hadn't heard anything like that about the True Track. Maybe because it is a limited slip it allows the axles to slip before the shaft breaks?
Unread 04-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A broken axleshaft can take out a Detroit Locker but installed into the correct axle with strong enough axleshafts like a Dana 44, it's not a problem for the vast majority of us. I've been wheeling for years on my Detroit Locker inside my rear Dana 44 and just hammering the heck out of it on some very tough trails.

Unread 04-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A broken axleshaft can take out a Detroit Locker but installed into the correct axle with strong enough axleshafts like a Dana 44, it's not a problem for the vast majority of us. I've been wheeling for years on my Detroit Locker inside my rear Dana 44 and just hammering the heck out of it on some very tough trails.
Thats kind of what I figured. I am going to be running the detroit in the rear with my super 35. Now while I am saving for gears I am trying to decide on a front locker, for the Dana 30. I want a full case, and don't want an ARB. I was considering the ECTD but I have heard that people with 35's and bigger tires are wearing them out rather quickly. So I am considering a "Soft locker", OX, or a True Track.
Unread 04-15-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why not just go for a lunchbox locker up front? They work fine and are plenty strong enough when in the front axle. I'm running a lunchbox Powertrax No-Slip in the front of my TJ (full-case Detroit Locker in the rear). I believe in full-case lockers in the back but so far, I haven't seen the need up front, at least not strength-wise. If I had my druthers, I'd have an ARB Air Locker front and rear but for now, my No-Slip is performing admirably and it has done so for many years including trips through Johnson Valley.

Unread 04-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why not just go for a lunchbox locker up front? They work fine and are plenty strong enough when in the front axle. I'm running a lunchbox Powertrax No-Slip in the front of my TJ (full-case Detroit Locker in the rear). I believe in full-case lockers in the back but so far, I haven't seen the need up front, at least not strength-wise. If I had my druthers, I'd have an ARB Air Locker front and rear but for now, my No-Slip is performing admirably and it has done so for many years including trips through Johnson Valley.
Thats what I have always ran before, without issue. Just thinking I'd try something new I have to buy a new carrier for my HP30 anyway, thats basically the only reason I have been locking into full case lockers for it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.