Any TJs successfully used a ZJ drag link? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Any TJs successfully used a ZJ drag link?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-12-2014, 01:30 AM   #1
Krang
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Any TJs successfully used a ZJ drag link?

Edit: Not track bar, drag link. Sorry, a bit tired when creating this.

Replacing some aging components on the front end I purchased the Crown Automotive HDSTRGCR1 ZJ tierod/trackbar upgrade kit for a TJ. From everything I've read, these components are the same and are swappable between the ZJ/TJ, but I'm beginning to think I didn't research this well enough, as they don't appear to be the same

I got everything installed, tierod and trackbar, but I lack enough mobility in the adjustment mechanism(collar?) for the trackbar. I'm adjusted so far that both the trackbar and the bar end have bottomed out and I've still taken a hit in terms of turning radius as it doesn't allow me to turn as sharply.

I looked at the end that connects to the pitman arm and the one that comes with the ZJ is quite a bit longer, possibly an inch or two along with having a longer adjustment collar on the ZJ. It looks like I may be able to squeak by with using the old end that connects to the pitman arm, but the old one is in really bad shape and I'd hate to re-use it.

So, those who used a ZJ tierod/trackbar, what did you have to do to use the ZJ bar? I've seen most people say it's a direct replacement, but I'm not having luck on that front.

I'd like to get a new bar end that connects to the pitman and give that a try, but I've not been able to find anything but generic ones at the local parts stores. I've been hunting for moog.

Last edited by Krang; 06-12-2014 at 06:46 AM..
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 02:17 AM   #2
thedaringmove
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Never heard of using the ZJ trackbar... and dont think theres any reason to.
thedaringmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 05:40 AM   #3
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

He probably means the drag link and tie rod, not the track bar and tie rod. Stock track bars are not adjustable.
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 05:44 AM   #4
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Only the Tie Rod.. never heard of someone using the Trackbar.. ???

Napa Sells the really nice Tie Rods and TRE's ... you can reuse the Draglink.. the TIE rod and outer Tre are the weak components.
Unread 06-12-2014, 05:44 AM   #5
ItsJustD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm using a ZJ tierod on my TJ, but not the drag link ( I assume you mean drag link and not track bar) from what I understand the drag links are the same but I'm not positive. Maybe you can post some pictures so we can see exactly what you're dealing with.
ItsJustD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 05:45 AM   #6
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

HDSTRGCR1 Doesn't come with a ZJ Track Bar. It is a ZJ Tie Rod and TJ/ZJ Drag Link. Working just fine on my TJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
Krang
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afusco1222 View Post
He probably means the drag link and tie rod, not the track bar and tie rod. Stock track bars are not adjustable.
Yep, that's what I meant. Sorry, late hours, brain slowed down.

Old drag link is in pretty bad shape, well the ends are. I was hoping to use this one as the ends aren't.

I need to tighten it a bit more, but it looks like I'm about as deep into the collar on both sides as I can get. It's hard to see in the second picture, but there's a channel within the collar and both sides are at the end of it. It doesn't appear to be something you can push past without forcing the collar to widen.

Unread 06-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #8
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Use your stock collar. It's stronger anyways. I used my stock Drag link sleeve and the sleeve from my bent Napa ZJ Tie rod.

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 06-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
Krang
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, appreciate the feedback here, everyone.

The other collar appears that it would seat even less, but we'll see. I'm going to stop by NAPA later today after work and see if I can get a replacement end for the stock drag link end that connects to the pitman arm. Is the other end replaceable as well? It's fixed, but it looks like it may be able to be pushed out.

Thanks again everyone for lending me your brains.
Unread 06-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #10
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't waste money on another TRE. It'll likely be identical. The stock sleeve should work fine. Mine are adjusted farther in than what you have pictured.

Quote:
Unread 06-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
Thanks, appreciate the feedback here, everyone.

The other collar appears that it would seat even less, but we'll see. I'm going to stop by NAPA later today after work and see if I can get a replacement end for the stock drag link end that connects to the pitman arm. Is the other end replaceable as well? It's fixed, but it looks like it may be able to be pushed out.

Thanks again everyone for lending me your brains.
Just take it apart and cut 3/8" off of each of the threaded parts, grind that same bevel back on the ends so they start easy and put it back together.

Plus if you look closer, you have one end screwed in further than the other one and the longest is what is limiting your adjustment. Start them both at the same time and you'll get full adjustment.
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #12
Krang
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Took 3/8"-1" off of the drag link, turns out that was enough and I was able to make that work.

I can't thank you guys enough for your help. I bought this jeep used and it's always ridden rough. Lately after replacing the axle seals it's had a wobble that I wouldn't quite call a death wobble, but something that aspired to be death wobble.

Replacing the tierod, steering stabilizer and drag link has made the jeep much more livable when driving. That and my tom wood driveshaft with a better pinion angle has made this a new vehicle. . . now if I could just find out what's squeaking over bumps.

Unread 06-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #13
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Took 3/8"-1" off of the drag link, turns out that was enough and I was able to make that work.
KRANG'S JEEP
Year & Model
TJ Wrangler
Can you fill in your profile for future support, as in do you have an HP front axle?...
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #14
Krang
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Done.
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:35 PM   #15
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-c8K9bQYLhAo/U5qFzIAuoXI/AAAAAAABQSk/2o1qVop7-VE/w1853-h1389-no/IMG_20140612_222705.jpg[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Can you fill in your profile for future support, as in do you have an HP front axle?...
Quote:
Done.
Is your front D44 an HP axle?...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.