Any thoughts on my defroster problem?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Any thoughts on my defroster problem??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
mdplayer

Any thoughts on my defroster problem??

Recently, I have been having a problem with my front defroster and it is baffling to me. Here the problem:

When I turn on the jeep and get it going, I turn on the defroster and nothing comes out. The fan is blowing but no air is coming out of the defroster. When I turn it to high, it sounds as if it is blocked or something like that. So to warm up, I just turn on the vents or something and everything works perfectly. I keep trying to switch back and forth to see if the defroster will work. Eventually, and I am not sure if it has to do with warming up or whatever (I haven't timed it or compared with different temps), but it sounds like the "blockage", for a lack of better words, gets pushed through or bypassed or whatever, and warm air comes through just fine and everything works as it should. If I would turn off the car and start it back up when everything is working, the whole cycle starts over again.

I haven't noticed anything coming out of the vent when all is working properly and I haven't noticed a certain amount of time or temp that is needed to get the air coming through. The jeep is up for inspection in April and I could certainly have them look it over, but thought if I can save some bucks by not having them do it, I would rather do that.

Any thoughts or has this happened to anyone else??

Thanks in advance....

mdplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
grinwa
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check all the vacuum lines from the engine to the switch. One might have crack or leaking. There is a vacuum reservoir in the passenger side fender, too. Also check your switch and the lines coming out of there.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
grinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
LARSONEM
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you have a vacuum problem. Insufficient vacuum is not allowing one of the panel doors in the heater box to open quickly. Beside the radio, looking up from the drivers footwell, there are three vacuum actuators. As you move the lever from floor (heat) to panel (A/C or Vent) to defrost, those actuators will open and close doors in the heater box to direct the airflow to the proper location. The vacuum is supplied off the intake manifold and passes through the firewall near the heater core. Sounds like the defrost eventually works after it builds enough vacuum to fully open the defrost door in the heater box.
Unread 03-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
mdplayer

Hrm, interesting..is what something that a moron (myself) can replace and would something like that be costly??
Unread 03-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I found a leak under the battery on that vacuum tank thing. The hose was cracked. But mine would only come from the defrost no matter where i set the thing at.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
daveg13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Before you start getting too deep, start with the simple things, pull your selector knob off and make sure it's not broken. Sucks when you tear the whole dash apart and find out that's the problem. Don't ask how I know.
daveg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
LARSONEM
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I could be costly. I've got to figure that you have a vacuum leak, since your defrosters eventually work. All of the vacuum lines are color coded going to the actuators. There is a plug on the right side of the radio I believe, where all of the vacuum lines connect (plug together). Make sure that is tight. The line colors are as follows:

Yellow - Defrost actuator (mid position)
Brown - Floor actuator
Blue - Defrost actuator (full position)
Black - Vacuum suppy (from reservoir)
Red - Recirculation actuator

You should be able to get to this connector after removing the glove box. Also this connects to the back of the HVAC control panel which means you have to pull the center of the instrument panel out that covers the radio.
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
mdplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg13 View Post
Before you start getting too deep, start with the simple things, pull your selector knob off and make sure it's not broken. Sucks when you tear the whole dash apart and find out that's the problem. Don't ask how I know.
Definately not the the knob as it works eventually, without me changing anything....so seems like it could be a vacuum issue..

I do agree...would suck to pull everything apart and have it something simple like that.
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
mdplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARSONEM View Post
I could be costly. I've got to figure that you have a vacuum leak, since your defrosters eventually work. All of the vacuum lines are color coded going to the actuators. There is a plug on the right side of the radio I believe, where all of the vacuum lines connect (plug together). Make sure that is tight. The line colors are as follows:

Yellow - Defrost actuator (mid position)
Brown - Floor actuator
Blue - Defrost actuator (full position)
Black - Vacuum suppy (from reservoir)
Red - Recirculation actuator

You should be able to get to this connector after removing the glove box. Also this connects to the back of the HVAC control panel which means you have to pull the center of the instrument panel out that covers the radio.
Thanks for all the info. Seems like I have a little weekend project on my hands...
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Go buy a cheap vacuum gauge (~$10-20). It will really help you find the problem. I had 20" at the manifold, but only 4" at the fitting that goes into the cab.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
mdplayer

One more question

I didn't quite get to it this weekend, but some new info has risen about it that might help pinpoint the problem, although it seems as if it is the vacuum problem.

When it is warmer, say 40 degrees and warmer, the defroster kicks right on, no waiting. Will the outside air temp have some effect on the vacuum issue??

Thanks
Unread 04-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
Maverick14
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 97 TJ and my front defroster started doing some of the things yours was doing until eventually the lever that rotates and moves the lever broke off. So know i have mine cracked open with a rubber hose. It sucks.
Maverick14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.