Any thoughts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Any thoughts

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
jimhensley
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Any thoughts

New to me 2003 TJ. Reverse lights don't work. Changed the bulbs, checked the fuses and just replaced the reverse switch on the tranny. I am not a mechanic or have much experience tracking down electrical issues. Got to pass a safety inspection in the next couple of weeks and need help. Anything else I should be looking at that I can do?

jimhensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Unplug the connector on the trans. If manual trans there are only 2 wires but if auto there are more like 10. Find the violet/white wire & make sure it has battery voltage with the key on (from fuse 7 in the fuse bock behind the glove box). Then you need to jump the violet/black & violet/white together. See if they come on (key still on).
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
dsmart

with the tranny in reverse check from power at the lights. If no power then check the wiring connector underneath by the gas tank. If no power check the power at the reverse switch. If no power check power to the reverse switch. If no power check the power at the fuse. If no power change the fuse!! Anyways im sure its a case of a bad connection or broken wire but don't rule out that the new switch is faulty...happens all the time
dsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
jimhensley
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. It just needed to be tightened further. A short socket wouldn't fit over the connector and a long socket would not fit as a hanger was in the way. Got a closed end ratchet and once tightened that did the trick. Now onto the other dozen issues. MD SAFETY INSPECTION IS A *****!!!
jimhensley is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.