Any quick fix to the inside door handle screw ripping out? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-06-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
pmarascal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Any quick fix to the inside door handle screw ripping out?

Its always something with a jeep... yesterday was out on the trials having a great time, then noticed the passenger plastic inside door handle ripped out from the screw and the inside door panel. You know the thing you grab when your closing the door from the inside. Its not a big problem, considering its a jeep and aaaanything could go wrong, but its going to get annoying when my friends are always grabbing at it trying to close the door and ripping it further.

I tried to turn the screw right back in but whatever hole it was going into is now stripped or something it seems? What are some solutions to this problem, as I can't be the only one with ******* friends jumping in and out without a care for my baby

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would just install a larger diameter self-tapping screw.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-06-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
pmarascal
2007 JK Wrangler 

But what is in there to hold the screw? That could work as long as there is some plastic or something in there that will hold it. Prolly add a big washer to make grab the handle enough too.

That will work better than a glob of gorilla glue or something ghetto like that, which I was just thinking. Just noticed a squeaky belt I'll have to replace quick now too. haha its always something, but I guess I should be happy it wasn't a rock smashing something yesterday or something serious like that haha.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-06-2011, 12:00 PM
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

just take the door card off. And find out if this

broke or stripped, or if the screw just backed out and the clip on nut just fell down inside the door. Then get a new clip on nut or screw or both. The hardest part was taking the window crank off. I had to replace all my door pull screws and clip on nuts the factory screws all backed out and I lost them. A decent hardware store will have the clip on nuts and some suitable tapered head screws.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-06-2011, 12:17 PM
bob_351c
2002 TJ Wrangler 

you could replace the screw with a nut and bolt. or find a small piece of sheet metal, hold it behind and screw in a self tapping screw. Or find the proper clip, you should be able to find a generic one that will work all the local auto parts stores have a "help" section with assorted parts like these

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.