Any one good at diagnosing? (Starter Problem) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Any one good at diagnosing? (Starter Problem)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
kacetheace

Any one good at diagnosing? (Starter Problem)

Hello All,
I have done a search of the forum's and on google, and that is what lead me to where I am.

1997 Jeep Wrangler, 4cyl.

While attempting to start my jeep it makes a noise (best described as a low hum), around the back seat area on the bottom. However nothing turns sputters or cranks over.

I then checked the battery and it was good. Lights still work, windshield wipers and radio.

Next I replaced the starter. Still nothing. However after doing some research I can get my jeep to run by way of screw driver touching the two points on the starter.

Further research revealed that a common problem is the clutch safety switch. I bypassed this. The next usual suspect was the ignition. I have replaced the ignition switch, and to make sure it wasn't the cylinder I used a screw driver in the new ignition switch with the same results.

I have prior to this given the jeep a full tune up around 3k miles ago.

Any help will be appreciated!

kacetheace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Spyder05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

the noise you are hearing from the backseat area would be your fuel pump. when you did the tune up, did you replace the coil? or distributor? do you know if you are getting good spark, or fuel at the rail?
07 SRT 8 grand
Spyder05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
kacetheace

I have not touched the fuel pump area. Would that result in it not starting?

The reason I have not looked into that was because I can get the starter to start using a screw driver.
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you are getting nothing from the starter when you turn the key & have the clutch switch bypassed, go to the starter relay & pull it out. With a test light or volt meter check as follows: Terminal #30, 12v all the time (from fuse # 2 in the PDC), #85 grounded, #86 12v when the key is turned to the start position. If any of those 3 terminals don’t give the proper reading the key won’t power the starter. If #30 has power, MAKE SURE IT IS IN NEUTRAL then you can jump across to the #87 & the starter should engage & start with the key on. If 1 of those readings is not as it should be report your findings & I can advise further.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
kacetheace

Okay will do. I am going to the auto parts place soon to get a voltmeter.
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
goodwrenchdave
1999 TJ Wrangler 

in this case: No voltmeter...use testlight. Corrosion is conductive and can send you on a mis-diagnosis.
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
duckman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Did you check your connections at the battery and starter? Also check the ground on the starter.
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1 View Post
Also check the ground on the starter.
The ground for the starter motor is its mounting surface and attachment bolts...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.