Any LJ owners have experience with the Bestop Instatrunk? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Any LJ owners have experience with the Bestop Instatrunk?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 10-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Pentara
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Any LJ owners have experience with the Bestop Instatrunk?

Hello folks,

Newcomer to the forum here. I just bought my first Jeep a couple of weeks ago, an '05 LJ. I'm considering the swarm of upgrades and mods I need and want to do, and am hoping someone has tried the 4 piece Bestop Instatrunk in their LJ before. I like the idea of extra storage and the 4 piece modularity of this upgrade, allowing me to use my whole trunk when needed, is a nice perk.

What I'm wondering about is whether it will go or can be setup to make use of all the storage depth in an LJ (Without pushing the seats down), or whether I'll have a void between it and my rear seats from the extra length of an LJ.

Thanks in advance for anyone who provides me with info, and hello to everyone else.

Pentara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
Squint77

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry you aren't getting many replies. I think you will find that most folks make their own..
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
tweenerlj
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You will have a void as it is made for the TJ. My brother-in-law installed one in his LJ and to me it is stupid. However, he needed a quick and inexpensive way to be able to secure his tool and recovery bag since he runs topless all the time. If you are looking for an off-the-shelf solution, I'd consider the Gr8tops box: http://gr8tops.com/index.php?option=...art&Itemid=121
tweenerlj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Tremor14
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Had my LJ since 06. I've thought long about getting some sort of lockable storage for the back. Experience has told me that if u need to haul something large, ie: new pressure washer from Lowes, or taking the fullsize steel doors off and putting them in back. It is best NOT to have a box. I did end up getting a box I can fit in there nicely. But I never really had to use it.
Tremor14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here is mine in my LJ. Rear seat is in and upright position too
image-3872904402.jpg

05LJTampa is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Pentara
2005 LJ Wrangler 

05LJTampa, thank you so much for the pic. But that looks like the 1 piece Instatrunk to me, not the 4 piece modular instatrunk they recently came out with. Correct? Still appreciate the pic but it seems to me from the Bestop video they posted on Youtube that the 4 piece trunk requires you to slide 3 metal pieces for the top in and can go deeper than the regular 1 piece instatrunk.

Sure would hate to buy this thing only to discover it's not what I'm looking for. On the other hand, to be the first person to post a review and pics might be neat.
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentara
05LJTampa, thank you so much for the pic. But that looks like the 1 piece Instatrunk to me, not the 4 piece modular instatrunk they recently came out with. Correct? Still appreciate the pic but it seems to me from the Bestop video they posted on Youtube that the 4 piece trunk requires you to slide 3 metal pieces for the top in and can go deeper than the regular 1 piece instatrunk.

Sure would hate to buy this thing only to discover it's not what I'm looking for. On the other hand, to be the first person to post a review and pics might be neat.
Ummm...its actually the same exact thing except now the 4 pieces bolt together vs how mine is one solid piece. Easier for shipping.
image-1166050811.jpg

Unread 10-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
my996duc1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here is what I had made for my LJ trunk.
Cost about $100 total to have made locally.

-

-

-
2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #0090 / MetalCloak'd / Currie 4" Lift with AntiRock / 35x12.50 GoodYear Kevlars / UCF skids

My build : http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/rubicon-sahara-build-chronicles-328649.html
my996duc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Im actually going to be building something like ^^^ myself soon. Just need to get my other projects buttoned up first. The instatrunk is nice for mylaptop and some tools but it doesnt fit nearly enough in there that I need it too.
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
Pentara
2005 LJ Wrangler 

After searching for another day and calling several companies including Bestop, I realized what I want is the Flexatrunk, which I also realized only comes for the 07+ Jeeps. And while the Tuffy secure trunk is also very nice, especially with the lifting top, it requires the rear seat to be removed (TJ) or pulled forward (LJ) permanently.

Basically, it seems there aren't enough LJs out there to warrant an LJ specific secure storage solution that takes up all the cargo room without affecting the rear seat.

my996duc1 that looks pretty nice. It seems you went what now looks to be the best route, to have a custom solution made. I've seen some cabinets and drawers for LJs coming in at $700+ online, which is insanely high. I will take inspiration from you, do some measuring and sketching and see if I can't find a local metal shop that will make it for me without breaking the bank. Unfortunately everything up here in Canada seems to cost more than down there in the US

Appreciate everyone's inputs, comments and especially pictures. Thank you.
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
my996duc1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentara View Post
my996duc1 that looks pretty nice. It seems you went what now looks to be the best route, to have a custom solution made. I've seen some cabinets and drawers for LJs coming in at $700+ online, which is insanely high. I will take inspiration from you, do some measuring and sketching and see if I can't find a local metal shop that will make it for me without breaking the bank. Unfortunately everything up here in Canada seems to cost more than down there in the US

Appreciate everyone's inputs, comments and especially pictures. Thank you.
No need to reinvent the wheel on the one like I have. I got the plans from the forum - right here :
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lj...plans-1282569/

the plans are at the very bottom of the first post in the link above or you can try this link here :
https://docs.google.com/folderview?i...&usp=drive_web

The guy I had made it did some minor changes on the bends but overall about the same as the drawings in the above thread.
I had the turn-buckles that held it down put inside the storage area unlike the link above shows them outside the storage box but behind the rear seat.
Small variances.....

_
2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #0090 / MetalCloak'd / Currie 4" Lift with AntiRock / 35x12.50 GoodYear Kevlars / UCF skids

My build : http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/rubicon-sahara-build-chronicles-328649.html
my996duc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bestop , instatrunk , lj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.