Any info on Rancho RS7000MT Shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Any info on Rancho RS7000MT Shocks

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 11-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
DallastheJeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Any info on Rancho RS7000MT Shocks

Its time for new shocks. Im interested in the new Rancho RS7000MT. Im more concerned with handling and responsiveness than ride smoothness. Does not seem like anybody has reviewed these yet so if you have any info please comment.

|____________________/||__/----|
|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@) (@)***|(@)

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
Metalcloak Bumper, Overline fenders and Corner guards.
3.5" Sus Lift
1'' Body lift and engine lift

#4-98 TJ Sahara RIP :(
#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
#2-88 Comanche Currently getting a frame off rebuild and a 4bt.
#1-1994 Power Wheels Wrangler
DallastheJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Pine_Cat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, firm ride on road. I read a comment like that in one of the mags, like JP or Offroad, and I agree with it. I have not driven a vehicle equipped with Bilsteins, so I can't tell you whether Bilstein is firmer than Rancho. Some people find Bilsteins too firm, but most like them.

Rancho claims that the 7000s have 10-stage digressive valving, so they won't shake you up off road, and I've enjoyed them both on and off road.

When I was in the market, I was not able to find a gas-charge spec for the Ranchos, but I think Monroe Reflex monotubes are in the 220-240 psi ball park. That would appear to place Monroe monotubes above non-monotube shocks. By contrast, Bilsteins are at 360 psi. Monroe/Tenneco does provide good fitment specs for its brands, including Rancho, so I bought the ones that appear to be a good fit for my stockish set-up.

I called Skyjacker, and they were not able to give me a gas-charge spec for their monotubes (they might consider it proprietary).

Rancho's website also claims one of the 7000's benefits is "reduced road harshness," so consider the possibility that they might not be as firm as Bilstein.
Pine_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Rancho_Lifts
Vendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

FYI, I have an e-mail into my engineers to see if I can share my image I have of the 10 stage valving broken down.
I also have a request on the gas charge # as well.

It maybe proprietary though. I will keep you posted on the info I receive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine_Cat View Post
Nice, firm ride on road. I read a comment like that in one of the mags, like JP or Offroad, and I agree with it. I have not driven a vehicle equipped with Bilsteins, so I can't tell you whether Bilstein is firmer than Rancho. Some people find Bilsteins too firm, but most like them.

Rancho claims that the 7000s have 10-stage digressive valving, so they won't shake you up off road, and I've enjoyed them both on and off road.

When I was in the market, I was not able to find a gas-charge spec for the Ranchos, but I think Monroe Reflex monotubes are in the 220-240 psi ball park. That would appear to place Monroe monotubes above non-monotube shocks. By contrast, Bilsteins are at 360 psi. Monroe/Tenneco does provide good fitment specs for its brands, including Rancho, so I bought the ones that appear to be a good fit for my stockish set-up.

I called Skyjacker, and they were not able to give me a gas-charge spec for their monotubes (they might consider it proprietary).

Rancho's website also claims one of the 7000's benefits is "reduced road harshness," so consider the possibility that they might not be as firm as Bilstein.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic302198_9.gif
Rancho_Lifts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Rancho_Lifts
Vendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

So this is the info my guys were kind of enough to give me.
On the gas charge spec we are between 270-300 PSI, depending on application.
On the valving it is 10 stage, we have 5 on the compression and 5 on the rebound. It gets into propriety area for us, FYI.
Thanks a lot!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic302198_9.gif
Rancho_Lifts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #5
Pine_Cat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho_Lifts View Post
So this is the info my guys were kind of enough to give me.
On the gas charge spec we are between 270-300 PSI, depending on application.
On the valving it is 10 stage, we have 5 on the compression and 5 on the rebound. It gets into propriety area for us, FYI.
Thanks a lot!
Makes sense. On road, at ride height, I've found the Rancho 7000 monotubes to be firm and responsive. I feel that I have a lot more awareness about what my axles are doing after installing these firm monotubes.

At the same time, these shocks soak up the larger bumps, so I guess that means the velocity-sensitive valving is working! Also, the multi-stage valving is giving me the amount of off-road "give" that you want in an off-road shock.

So, I would call it an ideal blend of on-road firmness / responsiveness and off-road flex. Thanks for a great product!

Curious about whether the ten-stage valving is predominantly velocity-sensitive, or also positional? Wondering if I have to be right at the recommended ride height for maximum firmness, or if the monotubes give me the same results with a slightly different height?

I'm riding 1" above my shocks' intended application, because I wanted progressive springs (and I like the results too much to cut the springs). I've read that digressive valving is generally a function of velocity experienced by the shock?
Unread 12-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A place out west that specialized in Broncos ( James Duff ) when I used to have them way back when had a theory for shocks on a coil spring suspension that always provided a good ride for me . He had shocks built to his specs he had said . His idea was to let the coil spring take care of most of the compression in order to have a good ride and let the shock put more effort into controlling the rebound . I don't know the ratio he used but instead of being like the fore mentioned Rrancho being 50/50 it may of been more like 60/40 for example . I ended up using his shocks on a Chevy pick up also that I had cranked up the torsion bars on and it then seemed to have an exaggerated rebound when ya hit good sized bumps in the road a they helped that a lot. I think that theory would work for us on Jeeps as well but who knows how each shock is set up other than no we know the Rancho 7000 is about 50/50. Its a spec I had always wished to see included in all of their Dazzle the customers with BS advertisements most publish.
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Pine_Cat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I hear ya Gary, but we're in a niche market segment. That's one of the reasons why there are very few ten-stage monotubes offered to the general public, and even fewer if you have an unusual application.

Upgrading your shocks is the least expensive way of upgrading your ride, but I imagine that most Jeepers are running less expensive shocks than the Bilstein 5100s or Rancho 7000s that appeal to performance-oriented customers.

Bilstein's and Rancho's websites name performance attributes that we can read about in technical literature. The performance attributes they name are not "dazzle," even if their websites happen to look great. I can't fault the big guys for being reticent about participating in the custom shock market, and I can't fault them for declining to offer specs that are generally provided by makers of custom shocks.
Unread 12-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am not asking for custom shocks , has nothing to do with custom shocks . I am just asking for a standardized set of specs of some kind so we the consumer can have a better idea as to how the shock will fit our needs compared to a different model or brand shock . I understand you can ask on a forum but everyones wants and ideas ,opinions may be different . Nothing any different than say a tire has . their is enough information available about a tire that the specs alone can pretty much tell you if it is right for you or not .
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.