Any do the windshield hinges lately? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Any do the windshield hinges lately?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Richs00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Any do the windshield hinges lately?

I have some new windshield hinges I've been putting off for a month now because of the complete pain in the a$$ the tailgate hinges were. I had to easy out 7 of the 8 screws and the windshield hinge screws are worse. Am I doomed to a world of trying to easy out the screws and hoping they will come out? I also believe the instructions said that the nut plates are loose like the tailgate ones were (I found out the hard way the tailgate nut plates will fall). Any pointers????

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/richs9097/00%20Jeep%20TJ/20130531_154726.jpg
Richs00TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've found that a hand impact tool work quite well to loosen the bolts. Sears makes a good one. Be sure and get the right size torx bit, too.

durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richs00TJ View Post
I have some new windshield hinges I've been putting off for a month now because of the complete pain in the a$$ the tailgate hinges were. I had to easy out 7 of the 8 screws and the windshield hinge screws are worse. Am I doomed to a world of trying to easy out the screws and hoping they will come out? I also believe the instructions said that the nut plates are loose like the tailgate ones were (I found out the hard way the tailgate nut plates will fall). Any pointers????
You need to be very careful with the ones on the side. They both thread into a floating nut plate that is only held to the inside of the frame with a small strip of metal folded over the center of it. The plate looks like a small dumbbell with a very short handle and the metal tab is about 1/8" wide that folds over the handle.

If you push on it and bend the tab, it will fall down inside the frame and is a real PITA to fish back up into place and you won't do it without removing the frame and drilling a hole in a convenient spot.
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

One tip I read on here was to use a soldering iron with a pointed tip to heat the center of the bolts before attempting removal.
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just use a quality torx bit. I like to hammer them in a bit the first time to compress the paint. Then I'm real careful with a ratchet, holding it real tight. You'll feel when it slips at all. Good luck!
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Richs00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok cool thanks for the tips!!! Not really looking forward to it, but the parts are just sitting there.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/richs9097/00%20Jeep%20TJ/20130531_154726.jpg
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

Maybe use a stud or cut the head off a bolt and thread it thru the hinge to hold the back plate in place then slide the hinge off over the stud
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
Richs00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thats exactly what I'm going to do gonna do a trip to either Menards or Sears get a longer bolt so I keep the plate from moving on me.

Unread 06-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Kabocha
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just took mine off to paint, both the windshield and lower door hinges, and didn't strip or break off any of them. All the tips listed are great. But I'd also add the following tips. All the torc bolts have been painted over so if you take an xacto knife and cut around the head you can get pb blaster to penetrate better. Finally the best thing I've found is get a can of air duster, the stuff you'd use for dusting off electronics. Put the spray tube that comes with it in the nozzle as you would normally do but turn the can upside down and spray the head of the bolt. This will instantly cool the bolt, contracting it, and help you break it loose. A word of caution though the spray is not recommended to use this way for good reason because it will also instantly freeze your skin or what ever it contacts. You've been warned, wear protection. But I use it regularly for my work. It comes in handy.
Kabocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You need to be very careful with the ones on the side. They both thread into a floating nut plate that is only held to the inside of the frame with a small strip of metal folded over the center of it. The plate looks like a small dumbbell with a very short handle and the metal tab is about 1/8" wide that folds over the handle.

If you push on it and bend the tab, it will fall down inside the frame and is a real PITA to fish back up into place and you won't do it without removing the frame and drilling a hole in a convenient spot.
I can attest to the PITA-ness of that, it happened to me, I managed to use a piece of wire coat hanger and get it in to a bolt hole on the plate, maneuver it up into place (kinda), get about 2 threads started on the other hole, then get the other bolt started, there is no match to the sinking feeling you get when that little backing plate drops.

If you can, leave the upper bolts in but very very loose, tilt the windshield forward until the lower bolt hole in the frame is outside the hinge, then loosely put the bottom bolt in a few threads, this holds that plate in a place where you might not drop it, then take the top one out and replace the hinge, installing the new one do the reverse, one side at a time. Good luck.

Edit: it's been a long time since I did this, I may have that backward, you may need to tilt the top out of the hinge and leave the bottom in, it'll be pretty obvious which way works when you have them loose.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
Netrix
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Heat them with a propane torch. They have locktite on them, thats why they come out so hard. Learned my lesson with the tailgate. Just did Kentrol Black stainless steel windshield and door hinges.
Netrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netrix View Post
Heat them with a propane torch. They have locktite on them, thats why they come out so hard. Learned my lesson with the tailgate. Just did Kentrol Black stainless steel windshield and door hinges.
It's not loctite that causes the problem. The problem is the surface area of the very large countersunk flat head machine screw and the tapered hole it is bolted into.

I've drilled the heads off of many tailgate hinge screws and when the heads were gone, simply turned the rest of the screw out with my fingers most of the time.

The zinc plating on the screws seems to bond very nicely to the aluminum alloy they make the hinges from.
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
Richs00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Perfect guys thanks for the tips I will be putting them in to practice Monday or so.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.