Antifreeze smell in the Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Antifreeze smell in the Jeep

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
frank_frank139

Antifreeze smell in the Jeep

I have a 2005 jeep Rubicon unlimited.Original owner. I turn on the heat and I get a blast of antifreeze smell. I only get it with the heat on. I have no puddles on the floor from maybe a leaky heater core. I also Took the jeep in last winter for the same smell and they told me they put a camera down in there looking and they told me its dry inside the heater box. This year its a bit worse and I dont want to be breathing in that stuff. I went on YouTube and its no picnic in getting to the heater core, if it is the heater core. So here is my question........ has anyone come across this problem and did it turn out to be anything else other then the heater core.
I will also say this. I have smelt antifreeze from my jeep from the very first day i had it. But it was noticeable from the outside also. It was a very faint smell. But I knew it was there. They said its nothing. Then later one in its life I had them look again and then they tell me that its cause I have 3 KC lights on a bar on the bumper of my jeep. At that point I gave up on them.
Its cold outside, I have a one car garage and no room in it for a job like this. So before I go be at the mercy of a mechanic Im putting it to you guys. You have always helped me in the past with dead nuts on info.
Thanks in advance

frank_frank139 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_frank139 View Post
I have a 2005 jeep Rubicon unlimited.Original owner. I turn on the heat and I get a blast of antifreeze smell. I only get it with the heat on. I have no puddles on the floor from maybe a leaky heater core. I also Took the jeep in last winter for the same smell and they told me they put a camera down in there looking and they told me its dry inside the heater box. This year its a bit worse and I dont want to be breathing in that stuff. I went on YouTube and its no picnic in getting to the heater core, if it is the heater core. So here is my question........ has anyone come across this problem and did it turn out to be anything else other then the heater core.
I will also say this. I have smelt antifreeze from my jeep from the very first day i had it. But it was noticeable from the outside also. It was a very faint smell. But I knew it was there. They said its nothing. Then later one in its life I had them look again and then they tell me that its cause I have 3 KC lights on a bar on the bumper of my jeep. At that point I gave up on them.
Its cold outside, I have a one car garage and no room in it for a job like this. So before I go be at the mercy of a mechanic Im putting it to you guys. You have always helped me in the past with dead nuts on info.
Thanks in advance
That makes as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. Sounds like the heater core is leaking and your mechanic isnít competent enough to know it.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Oldjeepman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check to see if any leaks around top of radiator,or lower hose that when i would smell anti-freeze.If it is the heater core its not that bad of a job just do your research..
Oldjeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Take off the two hoses that go into the heater core att the firewall and join them together. You will need fitting with 1/2 &5/8 fittings as the hoses are different id's. Now take a garden hose and run water through the heater core until it runs clear, andd you have no more a/f in the core. Run the jeep like this for a few days, if the smell dissapears then you have a heater core leak.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

yup! ^^ I did that on my WJ
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
jlsalani

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My 04 TJ had that issue last spring.... turn on defrost, strong smell of anitfreeze and the window would fog. I pulled the I/P and opened up the HVAC unit and pulled the heater core. It was leaking and there was barely a small puddle in there and it caused all the issue. You couldn't even see the puddle until I took out the core. It was underneath it. Having taken apart the HVAC I have no idea how they could even get a camera into the area where the heater core is!!... It took me about 5 hours to do the whole job in my driveway. Shop estimated about $600-$800 to do the job because of labor, but if I can do it anyone can. I had an A/C shop purge my system and pull the lines. Biggest challenge was getting the bolts out of the HVAC unit from the engine side. Some came out other had the whole fastener come out of the unit.
jlsalani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If the smell is prevalent in the cab there really isn't any other source likely than the heater core itself.

JFM626's idea is a good one if you want to avoid the unlikely possibility it is something else, but if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck then my money's on it being a duck.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Oldchief1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you mentioned this, I missed it but are you having to add coolant to your radiator? That would, of course, indicate a leak somewhere. If not, then my guess would be a very small pin hole leak that's emitting just enough of your coolant to create the smell but not enough yet to cause coolant to be low. Of course, if you're not doing your own service and oil chaanges, whenever you put your jeep in for service, most places top off all your fluids, so they may be adding it back. One more thought, you might pressure test your cooling system, leaving the gauge on it for an hour or so to see if pressure reduces any...again indicating a leak. Good luck!
Oldchief1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Some helpful write-ups on swapping out your heater core:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/he...tercore2-1.htm

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/he...atercore-1.htm
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
goodwrenchdave
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure your heater core is leaking...I've had this off and on now for a couple years. Antifreeze never goes down and no external leaks . But it is not uncommon for the leak to be there without the full blown symptoms such as leaks and fogy/slimy windshield. It is possible to have a very very tiny pinhole leak. I'll only smell it after driving about an hour and not always. when there...it can be pretty potent.
I never bothered fixing mine cause it's intermittent and the smell doesn't bother me that much. The wife on the other hand has a full blown tantrum when she smells it. I get so fed up of doing this all day long that I lose the motivation to repair my own.
And yes you can get a camera in there! but you don't really see all that much unless you run a dye in the system. It takes very little coolant to give out a lot of smell when vaporized. Sniff around the engine bay when you smell it inside... and if there is no smell around the engine- it is a clear indicator that the core is leaking.
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.