Antifreeze HOAT? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Antifreeze HOAT?

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 04-28-2004, 09:36 AM   #1
JFiorentino
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Antifreeze HOAT?

Hello all, I recently needed to add some coolant to my 2004 TJ. I checked my 2004 Chrysler shop manual and it said that I must use Mopar HOAT antifreeze. It goes on to say that you must not mix any other type of coolant, or risk voiding your warranty

I did a little research on the web and found the following article:

http://www.coolprofits.com/articles/...-Glysantin.htm

According to the article, the proprietary Mopar HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology coolant) appears to be be made by Valvoline who also makes Zerex, Glysantin G 05 (Available at your local Pep Boys car parts store).

I picked up some Zerex G05, and the container states that it's compatible with newer Diamler Chrysler vehicles. It meets or exceeds the required MS-9769 standard.

Just thought I'd share.

Digger

JFiorentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 09:52 AM   #2
jkulbeth

That's good info. Thanks!

I believe the stuff they're putting in these days is supposed to be environmentally friendly. Don't mix regular antifreeze with the enviro type -- you'll likely get crap precipitating or building up in your cooling system. Not fun. It'll mess up the pump and thermostat, and you'll run hot eventually because of the build up.

I used to package antifreeze and call tell you from experience they're all just about the same. Not ALL, but most. But you can't mix the enviro stuff with the regular stuff... they don't get along very well. Pick a brand and stick with it. If you don't, make absolutely certain you flush your system completely before changing brands or types. And get a name brand -- don't go cheap. We packaged some stuff once that was a blending error. We were going to have to scrap the batch, but someone came in and bought the stuff under their own private label. It had the consistency of snot when it got below 60 degrees. Nasty stuff. And they still sold it.

Here's a thought -- check the label on the enviro stuff... it likely has propylene glycol in it. Now grab a can of a diet soda with something other than NutraSweet in it.... bet it has the same stuff. Isn't that pleasant? But don't go drinking a gallon of enviro antifreeze... it'll still do you a world of bad. Stick with beer.
[COLOR=DarkGreen]Green Jeep Club Member #119[/COLOR]
jkulbeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.