Antifreeze/Coolant Smell but no leak... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Antifreeze/Coolant Smell but no leak...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
greta
2004 WJ 

Antifreeze/Coolant Smell but no leak...

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well.

For about the last 1 month I smell antifreeze whenever I get out of my jeep. I have been consistently checking and there does not appear to be any type of leak (no pools or wet spots under the jeep) and additionally, the jeep does not appear to be losing any antifreeze (it has maintained proper levels without addition of more fluid).

Any idea what may be causing this?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

ben

greta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You most likely have a very small leak that only leaks under pressure and is small enough that it burns off rather quickly. I would pressure check the system and look very closely at the seams between the radiator core and tanks. Pressurize the system to the cap's rated pressure. Also test the cap.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
You most likely have a very small leak that only leaks under pressure and is small enough that it burns off rather quickly. I would pressure check the system and look very closely at the seams between the radiator core and tanks. Pressurize the system to the cap's rated pressure. Also test the cap.
alright, thanks for the help!

Probably a pretty dumb question to most, but how does one go about pressurizing the system to the caps rated pressure and how do you test the cap? my guess is that by pressurizing you mean to have the jeep running and then check for small leaks???
Unread 11-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
gmaus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would check the heater core for a leak if you smell it when you get into the Jeep.
gmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
MUDDYSAHARA
1997 TJ Wrangler 

with a pressure tester, and i think autozone will loan you one. you could also look around the thermostat, water pump, heater hoses. noturmailman is probably right, that it is burning off before it shows in your driveway. when looking around, look for a white residue build up, that will help you pinpoint your leak. good luck dude.
MUDDYSAHARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaus View Post
I would check the heater core for a leak if you smell it when you get into the Jeep.
okay. will do! thanks for taking the time to help me out!
Unread 11-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDDYSAHARA View Post
with a pressure tester, and i think autozone will loan you one. you could also look around the thermostat, water pump, heater hoses. noturmailman is probably right, that it is burning off before it shows in your driveway. when looking around, look for a white residue build up, that will help you pinpoint your leak. good luck dude.
thanks my friend!
Unread 04-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
capnsilver
1999 TJ Wrangler 

did you ever find your leak mine is doing the same and i cant find it
capnsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check the top tank of the radiator, that's where mine leaked for 50k miles before I finally replaced it.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.