anti-rock or bumper to smooth out ride - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > anti-rock or bumper to smooth out ride

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #16
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
do you think that removing the sway bar would give me an approximate feel for how the AR would feel on the softest setting? i realize the AR would stiffen it up a little.
No sway bar is definitely a lot softer with more roll. The AR doesn't roll as much as it's hyped up to. The AR is a perfect mix between ride quality and handling on the road. Off the road it's a beast.

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #17
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Also, how long have you had the OME springs and shocks on? I know for the first month mine were surprisingly stiff, not bad, but it was more than I expected. After a month or so mine softened up and now rides very smoothly. You can see what armor (i.e. weight) I'm running in my sig. Dirk pointed me to the HD springs because of the armor I have, the fact that I run both tops, sometimes have up to four adults (or two adults and two teen nephews) and pull an trailer offroad.

FWIW,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #18
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir66103 View Post
Also, how long have you had the OME springs and shocks on? I know for the first month mine were surprisingly stiff, not bad, but it was more than I expected. After a month or so mine softened up and now rides very smoothly. You can see what armor (i.e. weight) I'm running in my sig. Dirk pointed me to the HD springs because of the armor I have, the fact that I run both tops, sometimes have up to four adults (or two adults and two teen nephews) and pull an trailer offroad.

FWIW,
Adam
ive had the OME springs for about 5 months now. typically i have very little weight in the jeep. no rear bench even.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #19
jmrubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Imped has gave you some excellent advice. The AR gives a more supple ride, the body roll is minimal and off road flex is all good.
jmrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #20
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The other option is going with a different OME spring. IIRC their N66/N67 shocks are designed to work with their light, medium, and heavy duty springs. Call up ARB and talk to them RE how your rig is set up, what you're looking for, and see what their suggestions are. If you're not running a heavy Jeep with lots of heavy armor, etc. then perhaps different springs would help.
Unread 01-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #21
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
The other option is going with a different OME spring. IIRC their N66/N67 shocks are designed to work with their light, medium, and heavy duty springs. Call up ARB and talk to them RE how your rig is set up, what you're looking for, and see what their suggestions are. If you're not running a heavy Jeep with lots of heavy armor, etc. then perhaps different springs would help.
thanks for the reply,

this would probably help, but eventually i want to have armor.

i was just looking for suggestions as to whether the bumper or AR would help more. eventually i would love to have both. but i cant afford to go out and spend thousands at a time. ill have this jeep for a while so i'm not in a rush. so i am trying to be smart about upgrades, only using top quality materials, hence why i went with OME and am looking at Rokmen products and the AR.

my thinking is to set the jeep up to match the suspension, vice setting the suspension up to match the jeep. since OME is considered one of the top lift kits.

A Hokie build

Unread 01-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #22
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie
this would probably help, but eventually i want to have armor.
Well you left out that little detail in your OP and any subsequent posts until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie
I currently have a 2.5" Old Man Emu Heavy Duty lift on my 04 TJ. The HD kit was designed for jeeps with heavy bumpers and armor, of which i have none. Thus making my ride slightly stiffer than i would like, considering i went with OME for ride quality.

In any case, OME is a good quality kit. One of the reasons is that they have a selection of springs and shocks to match how a Jeep is set up. It (now) sounds like your planning on adding more weight to your Jeep eventually so probably the HD springs are appropriate. But maybe not. It's worth a 10 min call in to ARB for a quick consultation. Talk to them about your plans and see if the HD springs are still appropriate. They're pretty knowledgable guys considering ARB owns the OME brand and designs the lifts.

Here's ARB's phone number for their US headquarters: (425) 264-1391
Unread 01-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #23
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Could control arms be playing in to it? He has stock arms with 112k miles.
srfnfly227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #24
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If anything I'd think those would be helping. The stock rubber bushings are actually pretty decent for NVH issues. I think this is more a weight / spring rate / shock issue at this point. With the HD OME springs the rough ride is probably related mored to having a relatively lighter Jeep w/o any added armor, etc.
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #25
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If anything I'd think those would be helping. The stock rubber bushings are actually pretty decent for NVH issues. I think this is more a weight / spring rate / shock issue at this point. With the HD OME springs the rough ride is probably related mored to having a relatively lighter Jeep w/o any added armor, etc.
Stock rubber bushings are pretty decent but they can still wear out. Replacing front lowers helped with my ride when I had a bushing going bad. Nice snug JJ was a lot smoother than the worn OEM bushing.
Unread 01-14-2011, 05:51 AM   #26
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i would just like to clarify that my ride is not rough by any stretch of the imagination, its just not as smooth as i would like it to be. considering i went with OME for ride quality.

and your right, my issue is definatly a weight to spring/shock ratio problem. which is why i am thinking of adding the bumper to help smooth it out. just not sure which item should be my priority, the bumper or the AR. at this point i'm thinking bumper. but i know the AR would smoothen out my ride to a point.

I think at some point this weekend i'm going to remove the front sway bar and drive around for a little bit to see how much a softer sway bar would help my issue.

on the other hand, if i install the bumper i will almost definatly need either a 3/4" spacer up front or a 1.25" BL and MML. funny how one thing leads to another.

A Hokie build

Unread 01-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #27
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here's an idea: a winch.

It will add the right amount of weight that the front springs are specced for, but it's not useless weight.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #28
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Instead of an anti-rock or bumper which replace something you already have, how about getting something you don't, like skid plates. Since you say you want them eventually, why not do it earlier rather than later. Skids will add weight which will bring you closer to the intended use for your HD springs and provide you with protection you don't have. They aren't as cool looking as the bumper, or as brag worthy as the anti-rock, but a hole in the oil pan, transmission or gas tank is an expensive repair to have to make.

FWIW,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #29
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wanted an AR to begin with and the ride was the final reason I needed to buy it and it did make a difference on the highway also. I hit the same holes and bumps in the dirt roads without slowing where before you had to slow or it as a jaring bang when you hit it . The only time it don't seem to do much is like mentioned earlier is a straight hit like a joint in the concrete highway if it has shifted but other than the few places like that it did exactly what I wanted. Its hard to find a good suspension set up when you have increased the unsprung weight as most of us have and then have a soft ride in one area but yet what you want in another area. I now have the Hardtop on now and at this point I am very happy it. I do think lighter springs would help too unless you plan on adding some useful weight to the nose.

It looks like the way I wrote it was not exactly how I meant it to sound .
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #30
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Get the Anti Rock first, and if your looking for the Rokmen Bumper down the line check out my ads I have one for sale http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/...umper-1129198/

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.