anti-rock or bumper to smooth out ride - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > anti-rock or bumper to smooth out ride

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 01-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

anti-rock or bumper to smooth out ride

I currently have a 2.5" Old Man Emu Heavy Duty lift on my 04 TJ. The HD kit was designed for jeeps with heavy bumpers and armor, of which i have none. Thus making my ride slightly stiffer than i would like, considering i went with OME for ride quality.

so my question is which would make the biggest difference in ride quality, a Rokmen Mecernary bumper at about 80lb or an Anti-Rock sway bar. i would love to purchase both, but i think the wife might have a problem with it.

opinions from those with the Anti-rock as to how much is smoothed out their on road performance would be great.

do i have enough lift so that the Anti-Rock doesnt need modification? i know its for 4" and i have roughly 3"

they would be going on the blue TJ below.

antirock1.jpg   bump_5.jpg   muddy-farm.jpg  

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

IIRC I trimmed the links a little on my AR (3" BDS springs in front). Probably wasn't necessary though. Works fine.

Not sure about AR really affecting ride quality. Depending on what setting you have it on it affects body roll in corners, but just going down the road hitting bumps, pot holes, etc. doesn't seem to me its doing much (good or bad) for ride comfort.
Unread 01-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Antirock. Don't add a bunch of weight to smooth out the ride. The antirock has more advantages than a heavy bumper.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Racing66atv
2005 TJ Wrangler 

anti rock won't help ur ride smoothnes any. If anything it would make it worse because at the stiffest setting it's still a touch softer than your stock sway bar. And idk how a bumper would help the ride quality either. Possibly look into getting a set of new softer shocks or possibly rough countrys long arm upgade?
Racing66atv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Don't add a bunch of weight
I should have commented on this also. I'm a big believer in weight savings. Address your problems other ways.
Unread 01-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

adding weight to smooth the ride is a terrible idea. The anti-rock isnt going to do anything to smooth it out either. I'd imagine new springs would cost less or equal to both of your proposed ideas. I know you said you have the kit, but for clarity, are you running OME shocks?
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
TheMusicMan

Obviously the only way to make a straight hit like a speed bump feel softer is by adding weight.

My vote is for an Anti-Rock swaybar though.
A list of conditions that the Anti-Rock will help smooth out ride more than a heavy bumper; Potholes, Speed bumps at shopping malls which you often drive over slightly diagonally or with just one side of the vehicle, Driveways such as at petrol stations or shopping malls.
Basically anything that isn't a straight front on hit for the suspension, or anything that only hits one side of the vehicle (potholes).

TheMusicMan.
TheMusicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

And I thought your Jeep rode well. You could always go back to stock and have it ride like mine
srfnfly227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post
adding weight to smooth the ride is a terrible idea. The anti-rock isnt going to do anything to smooth it out either. I'd imagine new springs would cost less or equal to both of your proposed ideas. I know you said you have the kit, but for clarity, are you running OME shocks?
yes i am running the OME shocks. so switching to a softer shock isnt really an option.

A Hokie build

Unread 01-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfnfly227 View Post
And I thought your Jeep rode well. You could always go back to stock and have it ride like mine
nahh my dentist would have something to say when he has to replace all my fillings after they fall out riding in yours.

A Hokie build

Unread 01-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

i guess i'm confused. i have heard people saying that their TJs ride smoother after installing the AR. b/c the axel is less tightly linked to the frame, thus allowing the impact from the road to be absorbed by the springs and shocks.

A Hokie build

Unread 01-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
i guess i'm confused. i have heard people saying that their TJs ride smoother after installing the AR. b/c the axel is less tightly linked to the frame, thus allowing the impact from the road to be absorbed by the springs and shocks.
That's correct. The stock sway bar is excessively stiff and makes it known. The AR will make an improvement.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
JeepDVL45

2003 TJ Wrangler 

why not the anti-rock AND a bumper?!?!? (you could always go aluminum)

"Real men hide their feelings, WHY?!
BECAUSE IT’S NONE OF YOUR ****** BUSINESS!!!!
Men do not cry. Men do not pout. Men jack you in the ******* jaw and say…thanks for comin’ out." - Boondock Saints II
JeepDVL45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #14
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That's correct. The stock sway bar is excessively stiff and makes it known. The AR will make an improvement.
do you think that removing the sway bar would give me an approximate feel for how the AR would feel on the softest setting? i realize the AR would stiffen it up a little.

A Hokie build

Unread 01-13-2011, 08:26 AM   #15
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDVL45 View Post
why not the anti-rock AND a bumper?!?!? (you could always go aluminum)
i would love to get both, but like i said the wife would more than likely shoot me.

A Hokie build

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.