JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   anti-rock or bumper to smooth out ride (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/anti-rock-bumper-smooth-out-ride-1153024/)

jeepinhokie 01-13-2011 07:20 AM

anti-rock or bumper to smooth out ride

3 Attachment(s)
I currently have a 2.5" Old Man Emu Heavy Duty lift on my 04 TJ. The HD kit was designed for jeeps with heavy bumpers and armor, of which i have none. Thus making my ride slightly stiffer than i would like, considering i went with OME for ride quality.

so my question is which would make the biggest difference in ride quality, a Rokmen Mecernary bumper at about 80lb or an Anti-Rock sway bar. i would love to purchase both, but i think the wife might have a problem with it.

opinions from those with the Anti-rock as to how much is smoothed out their on road performance would be great.

do i have enough lift so that the Anti-Rock doesnt need modification? i know its for 4" and i have roughly 3"

they would be going on the blue TJ below.

biffgnar 01-13-2011 07:40 AM

IIRC I trimmed the links a little on my AR (3" BDS springs in front). Probably wasn't necessary though. Works fine.

Not sure about AR really affecting ride quality. Depending on what setting you have it on it affects body roll in corners, but just going down the road hitting bumps, pot holes, etc. doesn't seem to me its doing much (good or bad) for ride comfort.

Imped 01-13-2011 07:44 AM

Antirock. Don't add a bunch of weight to smooth out the ride. The antirock has more advantages than a heavy bumper.

Racing66atv 01-13-2011 07:46 AM

anti rock won't help ur ride smoothnes any. If anything it would make it worse because at the stiffest setting it's still a touch softer than your stock sway bar. And idk how a bumper would help the ride quality either. Possibly look into getting a set of new softer shocks or possibly rough countrys long arm upgade?

biffgnar 01-13-2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 10779088)
Don't add a bunch of weight

I should have commented on this also. I'm a big believer in weight savings. Address your problems other ways. :thumbsup:

Fropleyqk 01-13-2011 07:49 AM

adding weight to smooth the ride is a terrible idea. The anti-rock isnt going to do anything to smooth it out either. I'd imagine new springs would cost less or equal to both of your proposed ideas. I know you said you have the kit, but for clarity, are you running OME shocks?

TheMusicMan 01-13-2011 07:51 AM

Obviously the only way to make a straight hit like a speed bump feel softer is by adding weight.

My vote is for an Anti-Rock swaybar though.
A list of conditions that the Anti-Rock will help smooth out ride more than a heavy bumper; Potholes, Speed bumps at shopping malls which you often drive over slightly diagonally or with just one side of the vehicle, Driveways such as at petrol stations or shopping malls.
Basically anything that isn't a straight front on hit for the suspension, or anything that only hits one side of the vehicle (potholes).

TheMusicMan.

srfnfly227 01-13-2011 07:51 AM

And I thought your Jeep rode well. You could always go back to stock and have it ride like mine :rolleyes:

jeepinhokie 01-13-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fropleyquark (Post 10779107)
adding weight to smooth the ride is a terrible idea. The anti-rock isnt going to do anything to smooth it out either. I'd imagine new springs would cost less or equal to both of your proposed ideas. I know you said you have the kit, but for clarity, are you running OME shocks?

yes i am running the OME shocks. so switching to a softer shock isnt really an option.

jeepinhokie 01-13-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srfnfly227 (Post 10779115)
And I thought your Jeep rode well. You could always go back to stock and have it ride like mine :rolleyes:

nahh my dentist would have something to say when he has to replace all my fillings after they fall out riding in yours.

jeepinhokie 01-13-2011 08:14 AM

i guess i'm confused. i have heard people saying that their TJs ride smoother after installing the AR. b/c the axel is less tightly linked to the frame, thus allowing the impact from the road to be absorbed by the springs and shocks.

Imped 01-13-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinhokie (Post 10779238)
i guess i'm confused. i have heard people saying that their TJs ride smoother after installing the AR. b/c the axel is less tightly linked to the frame, thus allowing the impact from the road to be absorbed by the springs and shocks.

That's correct. The stock sway bar is excessively stiff and makes it known. The AR will make an improvement.

JeepDVL45 01-13-2011 08:23 AM

why not the anti-rock AND a bumper?!?!? (you could always go aluminum)

jeepinhokie 01-13-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 10779270)
That's correct. The stock sway bar is excessively stiff and makes it known. The AR will make an improvement.

do you think that removing the sway bar would give me an approximate feel for how the AR would feel on the softest setting? i realize the AR would stiffen it up a little.

jeepinhokie 01-13-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepDVL45 (Post 10779292)
why not the anti-rock AND a bumper?!?!? (you could always go aluminum)

i would love to get both, but like i said the wife would more than likely shoot me.

The time now is 02:11 PM.