Another TJ with Bouncing Idle Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another TJ with Bouncing Idle Issue

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Please, if you want to flame me.... go elsewhere. I know. I know. Lots of other people have posted about a bouncing or erratic idle. I am having the same issue. Yes, i searched but the suggestions haven't fixed the problem. I replaced my IAC, no change. New Battery, no change. (It started after the jeep sat for about 2 weeks and the battery had died. Recharged battery and issue was there. Battery slowly discharging itself so it needed to be swapped out regardless.) Pull the plug on the TPS and the idle shoots up to about 1200rpm and still bouncing. I have not REPLACED my TPS yet. That is next on the list. TPS DOES test like it should though. Smooth voltage change from closed to WOT. If I don't have to spend an extra $100 on a TPS, I'd rather not. I took a video of the start and idle. Check it out. Any input or help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone in advance.

1997 Jeep TJ - Truly BUILT not BOUGHT! Purchased from original owner stock... obviously THAT didn't last long!

| WJ Seat Swap into a TJ WITH FORWARD TILT!!

Winners97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Look at the tps voltage while at idle, if it is steady then the tps is not the problem, it is moves even a little it can cause idle fluctuation.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982cj8
Look at the tps voltage while at idle, if it is steady then the tps is not the problem, it is moves even a little it can cause idle fluctuation.
The idle is still bouncing, the voltage is remaining at .79 during bouncing idle. Any other thoughts?!

1997 Jeep TJ - Truly BUILT not BOUGHT! Purchased from original owner stock... obviously THAT didn't last long!

Unread 07-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Voltage is at .79 with a scanner in the port or multimeter on the TPS? I had to change mine couple years ago after getting it wet washing the engine bay down. It would idle super high though, not erratically if I remember correctly. Vacuum leak?
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJeep
Voltage is at .79 with a scanner in the port or multimeter on the TPS? I had to change mine couple years ago after getting it wet washing the engine bay down. It would idle super high though, not erratically if I remember correctly. Vacuum leak?
Multimeter at the TPS.

It's just very odd that there was no idle issue until after the 2 weeks of it sitting and the battery died.

Unread 07-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Added note:

Smells like its running a little rich too. It usually has an added "fuel smell" due to the stroker and the straight-pipe-cat but this is a little stronger. Also has a VEEERY faint smoke out of the exhaust when the rpm are dropping. Then clears up as rpm rise back up again.

Unread 07-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

O2 sensor? Mine ran stupid rich and crappy when front O2 was bad. Worse than what a bad O2 sensor should do. But its a Jeep so.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJeep
O2 sensor? Mine ran stupid rich and crappy when front O2 was bad. Worse than what a bad O2 sensor should do. But its a Jeep so.
Replaced both O2s recently....
Within last 12months (@5k miles)

Unread 07-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I replaced TPS. No change.

Put stock TPS back in, and took it around the block.
If I'm at a "cruising" throttle position, it seems as if it has a "miss" and wants to die. I was in 2nd gear around 2k rpm and it was VERY evident. Any other thoughts or ideas?? I'm about to the point to find the nearest cliff..... :

Unread 07-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #10
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

After my brother came over and started staring at the engine bay with me for a little bit, he started playing with the injectors and connections. (OEM Ford injectors to fuel the stroker) He thought it was the injectors or the wiring where I soldered the new plugs to the wiring harness. Every time he started to move one of them, the idle would start to straighten out. I took the Jeep to work the other day, and when I started it up before I left, the idle was bouncing. I tried the same thing and no dice. Fast forward to Saturday; I was looking at the connectors again and started moving them around while it was bouncing and it started to have a consistent bad miss. FINALLY a check engine code came up. P0202. Open Circuit on Injector #2. So I started looking at the wiring. Pulled the Ford injectors and connectors and re-installed all of the OEM Jeep connectors and injectors. When I finished, I tested the Ohms between the two wires on each injector. No open connection between any of the wires (positive to negative) on any of the injectors besides #2. Traced the wires all the way to the PCM. If you disconnected the PCM wiring harness, the connection between the wires disappeared. I tested the ohm rating between the wires at the PCM plug to make sure I hadn't "passed" the short in the wire and the wires tested out fine. I checked pin-outs on the PCM between all 6 injectors, and the #2 was the only one that showed a slight short. A little short is all it takes! Had the ohm meter set at the 20k mark and it was showing a 330 on the screen. I assume that would be a 330k ohm resistance, correct? Either way, its got a connection and that ain't supposed to be there!

Long story short, I think I found my issue. I just hope the $300 PCM replacement will fix it! (That's a $169 remanufactured PCM from autocomputerexchange.com PLUS the $100 lifetime warranty) I'll be calling them in the next few hours to get the order placed, and I hope, by the end of the week I'll have a GOOD NEWS update to post up here. Thanks for all of you guys/gals help on this. I appreciate all the input and thoughts.

Unread 07-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, received the refurbished PCM today. After the install..... EVERYTHING is working as it should!! Thanks everyone for the thoughts. The PCM has been replaced and the beast can get back on the road and trails again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.