Another Overheating TJ.. what next? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another Overheating TJ.. what next?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #31
Speed94
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You said you replaced the radiator a year ago. Was it exactly a year or a little less then a year? ie was it changed while it was still cold out? Does fluid leak out of your radiator cap when you see it boiling over (even a little)? What brand radiator cap did you buy?

97 TJ PD club member #007
Speed94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #32
eruji
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Was it exactly a year or a little less then a year?
i replaced the stock radiator because it was leaking from the top plastic seam. That was in June of last year. It was replaced with an aftermarket all aluminum rad. Ive tried two different branded radiator caps in the past few months. The first was one from napa, the latest was a "safety" pressure release type from Oreilys. i dont care for the pressure release tab because it feels like another point of failure, but wanted to try another cap. There are no leaks that i can see anywhere in the coolant system. I didnt notice any leaks coming from the cap while boiling over. Im gonna take a look at the oil this weekend to see any signs of coolant in there.
eruji is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #33
Speed94
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would check for leaks on top of the radiator. Even if its a tiny bit. I would also get an OEM radiator cap. They are around $20 from the dealer. I'm going through the same problem now and it turns out its the radiator. I also just replaced mine in November. Now that its hot, it spikes randomly. The filler neck isn't sealing correctly and causing it to randomly spike the gauge. I noticed a little bit of coolant on top of the radiator groove and when I I looked at the filler neck closer, I noticed it was dripping a little. It was the last thing I checked because I figured that the radiator was new and it couldn't be bad already. I did the chem test for head gasket and there's no coolant in my oil. I also replaced everything you did, including the Temp sensor. New radiator will be here today (under warranty) and I won't be able to get it on until Tuesday when I get back, but I'll let you know if it solves my problem. Maybe you're having the same issue...
Unread 07-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #34
eruji
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks.. the chem test sounds like an easy way to check for a leak. keep us informed.
Unread 07-20-2011, 03:43 AM   #35
Speed94
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced the radiator....that didn't fix it. It still overheats when the AC is on and when its not, it runs a little hot. Gonna try back flushing it and see if that works.
Unread 09-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #36
CCrispe
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2002 Jeep TJ 4.0 with the same issue, Changed the radiator, therm, hoses, water pump, added a second electric cooling fan 15" pulling 12" pushing and it still overheats only under a load and or with the A/C running. My fan failed and it did get hot on the way home one day. I did the block test and it failed one time however I had a shop repeat the test and it passed three times. No smoke, no water in oil and runs great outside of overheating. Shop thaught it was my Cat. converter.
CCrispe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #37
eruji
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, im still having the problem too. So frustrating. i have not gotten the chem test yet. (how much do those typically cost at a shop?)

I did change the oil this weekend, looks fine, no sludge. I flushed the radiator. filled with distilled and waterwetter only. Changed the thermostat (again). Cleaned the AC evaporator as best as i could. Still overheating.

I just got a bluetooth OBD reader and im using an android app to monitor the temps and such. I will post if I see anything strange.
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #38
eruji
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Shop thaught it was my Cat. converter.
what is the reason that would cause an overheat?
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #39
bigwave

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Silly idea but, can you take your therm. out of the loop completely? Just to see what happens, I have not replaced the thermostate on my jeep so I'm not sure.
bigwave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #40
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruji View Post
Yup, im still having the problem too. So frustrating. i have not gotten the chem test yet. (how much do those typically cost at a shop?)

I did change the oil this weekend, looks fine, no sludge. I flushed the radiator. filled with distilled and waterwetter only. Changed the thermostat (again). Cleaned the AC evaporator as best as i could. Still overheating.

I just got a bluetooth OBD reader and im using an android app to monitor the temps and such. I will post if I see anything strange.
Which aluminum radiator did you swap in?
Unread 09-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #41
oldmots
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would verify that the waterpump you put in is designed for the direction it's actually turning. It sounds to me that you may have low water flow. If you look carefully, there are some reverse direction pumps out there, you may have the wrong one. Another thing is that the thermostat on this car should have a jiggler valve in it to eliminate air pockets behind the thermostat. Most parts store ones do not have this. This valve should be located at 12:00 to vent the system right.I always buy thermostats form the dealer only.
oldmots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #42
Deezul
2004 TJ Wrangler 

had a similar issue, top tank was starting to split in the middle. Not the seam. Replaced radiator and have yet to see 220F
2004 Khaki Rubicon. Jeeperman Custom Brushguard and 54" bumper, Kilby steering skid, Skidrow radiator skid, SRC Rockcrawler rocker guards, UFW Al Engine Skid, OME Shocks, JKS Quicker Discos, AEM Dryflo intake;KC Slimlight 130W Long range lights, ORO LiteDots and LitePlate, Banks Stainless Monster cat-back, Eclipse stereo, BA Speakers, Jeeperman Handles, Cobra CB, interior leds... more to come.

**R.I.P NOW TOTALED** 98TJ Sport, 30x9.5 BFG ATKO's on AR Outlaw II's, K&N FIPK, Borla Catback,
Green jeep club member #139
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #43
eruji
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would verify that the waterpump you put in is designed for the direction it's actually turning
yes, im leaning towards this now too since it would fit the timeline okay. I had the radiator last summer with no issues, but the water pump was put in this April. Is there a way to test the flow by filling a container a certain volume within a timeframe? Also, if the water pump was flowing in the incorrect direction would it just flow in reverse? or not at all? Where is there a diagram of the path and direction?
Unread 09-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #44
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruji View Post
yes, im leaning towards this now too since it would fit the timeline okay. I had the radiator last summer with no issues, but the water pump was put in this April. Is there a way to test the flow by filling a container a certain volume within a timeframe? Also, if the water pump was flowing in the incorrect direction would it just flow in reverse? or not at all? Where is there a diagram of the path and direction?
The water can't flow in reverse since the water pump is directional due to it connected to the crank which only spins in the direction the engine is turning. The veins of the water pump could be worn down and not having enough flow to it.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #45
Possum67
1995 YJ Wrangler 

^^^^????? Waterpump attached to crank?
waterpump is driven by pully by belt and there are oposite directional pumps as was suggested earlier.
Depends on routing of belt and accessories on engine.

Last edited by Possum67; 09-14-2011 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: add info
Possum67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cooling , overheating , radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.