Another Overheating TJ.. what next? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another Overheating TJ.. what next?

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 07-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #16
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimitedlj
Could be sending unit too.
Wondering how a bad sending unit can cause coolant to boil in the overflow bottle?

OP, try a new cap as recommended above.

Sent from DROID2

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #17
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Didn't see the overflow tank deal sorry but, unlike some I will tell you if I'm wrong. I agree try the radiator cap and see what happens get a stant if you can. The CST ones are not worth a ****.
unlimitedlj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #18
eruji
2001 TJ Wrangler 

okay, thanks for all the suggestions.. I forgot to include that i have a new rad cap as of this weekend as well. I did the burp thing this morning just to see. My driveway is fairly steep so i parked with the front raised and started the engine and let it warm up. I also turned on the heater but i believe the hoses that feed the heat coil are always on even when the thermostat is closed its still flowing. No bubbles, but the coolant warms up and expands out the open lid and blows all over the place. Also the fan shroud is in place.

So does the boiling into the reservoir give a positive indication of overheating. because it only happens after i shut the motor off. Makes me think that either 1. Since the fan turns off with the motor, it is sending the temperature of the coolant above boiling. and or 2. pressure is being released somehow and causing the boiling temp to lower.

When the jeep starts overheating i do not get a check engine light or any type of warning and i dont notice the engine running differently. That and the fact that it happens so suddenly is what is making me think something is wrong with whatever is reporting the temp.
eruji is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #19
eruji
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
are you losing coolant besides the boil over?
not that i can tell. ive been burping it so i loose a bit there but nothing noticeable

Quote:
have you tryed back flushing the system to make sure nothing is in there blocking it up
i havent because everything is fairly new, coolant looks perfect, inside the radiator everything still looks pristine. heater core was brand new not that long ago.

Quote:
auto or 5sp? Any obstructions in front of the radiator other than the ac condenser?
Automatic with AC and the ac radiator looks as dirty as any other car ive ever owned.. a lot of dead bugs and such. How the heck do i clean that thing anyways.. i hit it with the spray nozzle this weekend while washing it and didnt seem to dislodge anything.

I feel like the next thing is to replace the hoses. Ive heard you can have the system pressure checked for leaks.. and some other test to see if coolant is getting into a cylinder. sound about right?
Unread 07-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #20
bardb

LOL, brain fart. Thanks for setting me straight.
bardb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #21
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan305 View Post
when you turn on your heat coolant goes in to the heater core so it will push out any air that could be in there.
The TJ does not use a heater valve. Hot coolant is always circulating through the heater hoses and heater core. The only thing that keeps the hot air from mixing with the vent or AC is the blend door.

The heater hoses are also the engines coolant bypass. Do not plug them off. If you need to remove them from the heater to stop a leaking heater core you need to loop them so coolant can bypass when the thermostat is closed.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #22
Kadmost

I don't think it's the temp gauge, if it were it wouldn't go up and down from idle to 40 mph.

Really sounds like an air flow issue.

I suppose it's possible that you got a bad fan clutch, it should be fairly hard to turn by hand (engine off of course)

You don't have one of those flex fans or anything like that do you?
Kadmost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #23
Cesaros
2000 TJ Wrangler 

my jeep was overheating/boiling because of a crack in the endtank and a pile of leafs in front of the radiator that restricted 1/4 of the core from getting air.
Cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #24
eruji
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You don't have one of those flex fans or anything like that do you?
no, just the stock fan. and the clutch seems to work fine ive tested it by hand on a cold and warm engine.
Unread 07-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #25
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe it's just me, but I noticed more bubbles coming out whenever I turned the heat on as I was burping the system. So that's what I do every time.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #26
witness
2001 TJ Wrangler 

head gasket or cracked head. Thats what was causing mine to overheat
witness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #27
eruji
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
head gasket or cracked head
head gasket sounds like it shouldn't be to difficult to fix, but the cracked head scares me. The jeep drives fine otherwise. This pas week has been cool so no issues at all. Whats the best way to verify the leaking head gasket or cracked head?
Unread 07-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #28
bigwave

2004 TJ Wrangler 

With everything you've done you must have some type of block in there somewhere. I'm not sure if this is proper but I would find a way to reverse flush the thing with a garden hose or something and see what happens. And a blocked radiator would (most likely) not cause an overheat at idle, not much air moving through it anyway. When I say blocked I don't mean liquid block I mean air movement.
bigwave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #29
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Head Gasket or A Cracked something or another.
1HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #30
Kadmost

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruji View Post
Whats the best way to verify the leaking head gasket or cracked head?
You've got some options

First warm it up real good, shut it off and check the oil cap and dipstick looking for muddy looking oil, it should be pretty obviously brownish green if it's leaking bad. However you may have a blown gasket and not have these symptoms

If nothing then start pulling spark plugs looking for coolant on them

I've heard some people test it with all plugs out except one, pull off the radiator cap as well and crank the engine, if you see bubbles the gasket is blown (I can't verify this method).

Some people will do compression tests or leakdown tests, but those can easily miss a blown head gasket

The best test (other than seeing obvious signs of coolant in the oil) is to use a chemical test kit, you should be able to find one doing a google search for head gasket test kit. It has a test tube sort of thing that sits on the radiator in the fill spout, and has a color changing fluid that lets you know if engine gasses are entering the coolant.
Kadmost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cooling , overheating , radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.