Another newby asking about lift kits - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another newby asking about lift kits

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-19-2014, 11:48 PM   #1
NumbSkull
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Another newby asking about lift kits

I'm new to the jeep game, and been trying to wrap my head around the choices for lift that's still decent quality and reasonably priced.

I've got an 05 LJ that currently has a set of 31" tires on stock suspension. It looks good, but I would like to get it in the air a bit. The tires on it now are practically new, but I would like to move up to some 33s in the future. I'm thinking a 3-4" lift would be good spot. It might look a little empty with the 31s, but should look good with the 33s.

I'm trying to build the Jeep for that I can take wheeling, but still mild enough for some pavement time. Its not a daily driver, though it will probably see more road than trail.

I would like to spend around $1000 for the kit, but could go higher if needed. I would like to find something that is complete and can done in my driveway. I'm pretty comfortable mechanically, but I would prefer a kit that doesn't require me to redrill the mounting locations for any of the connecting arms or bars... Drilling for "non-alignement" related attachments is okay.

I've been digging through the endless number of threads on the subject, but I'm not seeing much when it comes to identifying quality lifts that don't require redrilling the mount locations.

So.. I thought I would ask those with experience.. And anyone else who wants to put their 2 cents is is welcome as well.

NumbSkull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 12:06 AM   #2
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What "mount locations" are you talking about?

Check out the build thread section and you can see lots of different lift and tire size combos to help decide.

As far as a complete set no one company is perfect at everything. Your best lift will be to divide up and get what will ride and work best for you
Unread 08-20-2014, 12:15 AM   #3
NumbSkull
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The mount locations I'm trying to avoid are redrilling of the control arm mounting holes.

I've seen a few kits that require you to drill a new mounting hole for the upper control arm on the front. This might not be that big of an issue, but to me, it sounds like an opportunity to introduce binding or poor alignment of components. I know.. measure twice (or ten times) and drill once, but if I could find a kit that included longer arms, I would be much happier.

Also, (and again, probably not that big of an issue), some of the kits get pretty close to the edge of material when redrilling. There's still a good chunk of steel there, but my wife likes to drive the jeep as much as I do (both on and off road), and I really hate the thought of something failing on her.

Here's an example. This is a rough country kit.. its not something I'm really considering, but a good example of the type of drilling I would like to avoid. (drilling is at 4:28)

Unread 08-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #4
m44
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That's not a control arm that's the front trackbar, and the easy solution is buy any kit that wants you to drill the hole and just buy an adjustable trackbar instead. Personally I like the metal cloak, but I have also heard good things about the currie
Unread 08-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Have you taken the jeep out as it sits now? You may be surprised with how well it does.

My suggestion would be a 2" suspension lift and a 1.25" body lift, OR the zone 4.25" combo lift.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
arg0413
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Zone 4.25" lift with Hydro shocks and an Metalcloak front adjustable track bar, you'll have a nice riding rig that's not too lifted with money left to spare to invest in tires or adjustable control arms.
Unread 08-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
NumbSkull
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone!

I cant believe I didn't realize that was a track bar instead of a control arm. That's what I get for watching with the volume down...

The Jeep does great the way it is, but I'm wanting to step up in tire size, and the 31s that are on it now pretty much fill the fenders, that, and I think the stock springs have been sprung. I'll have to check out the Zone combos, and money left would be great! I have funds set aside for the tires already, but I would really like to put some new exhaust on it and pick up a set of half doors, so any funds left over will not be wasted!
Unread 08-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

With the zone or bds kits. You can put the lift on and use it, and add the control arms later too as funds allow.
Look at the zone 3" kit, or the zone 4.25 combo kit.
Or a 2" bds kit and a 1" body lift even.
buy a currie or metal cloak track bar for the front.

Later on add quality control arms.
Look at currie, savvy, rokmen, claytyon, and metal cloak arms.

There is lots of other parts u can add to those lifts.
Most are not mandatory, but will make it perform better.

Good luck
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #9
NH05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I went through Kolak to pull most of the pieces together and used nth 3" springs, Bilstein shocks, jks front/rear track and sway bars disconnects/ rear extensions. I am very happy with the results. Plan for front lower control arms right away if you are running stock Rubicon wheels without spacers. My almost never touch the aftermarket round bars but rubbed the stockers like crazy (285/75/16 Duratracs).

If you are going 33's I would also advise to do the tie rod upgrade or some other steering system and an upgraded stabilizer. The LCA's and tie rod both require an alignment, so unless you are doing the alignment yourself, it would make sense to do the whole thing at once to save on alignment costs. I've done 3 alignments (trackbars/lift/CA's and zj tie rod) in 2014 because I didn't think it all the way through.

Good luck!
NH05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #10
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH05 View Post
and an upgraded stabilizer.
Why?

If there's nothing wrong with his stock steering stabilizer it should work just fine... HTH
Unread 08-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #11
NH05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Maybe you're right. Mine cost me about $60 and took about an hour or two to install. Handles bumps significantly better after so I am happy. Yes it was drive-able before, but it is far more composed with the larger steering stabilizer. Had I done the tie rod and control arms first, I might have a different opinion. For me it took the tire rod, control arms, and steering stabilizer to get to the point where I liked the handling, but I am pretty picky about it.
NH05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #12
NumbSkull
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So, I've been reading up on the Zone 4.25 combo lift, and I think I'm going to give it a shot. Looking at it on Rockridge's website, they offer a set of Cam bolts and Cam locks as an option. I know these are needed for jeeps that didn't come with them OEM... Does anyone know if the 05 LJ will need these, or are they already equipped?
Unread 08-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
MiWranglers
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I put 3" BDS lift kit with Fox 2.0 shocks on my 2005 LJ last year and like it. My stock LJ didn't have eccentric bolts. My memory is already a little rusty from doing the lift over a year ago but when I installed BDS fixed-length front lower control arms, I think I did them one side at a time and used a rachet strap to move the front axle forward a small amount to get holes (not slots) to line up and found I didn't need to use the kit's eccentric bolts. I took them along when I got the alignment at Belle Tire but they didn't need them.

Just my two-cents on the front track bar...I bought BDS adjustable front track bar in lieu of reusing stock track bar to avoid drilling that new axle bracket hole a fraction of an inch toward driver's side. Intuitively, seemed like it might impact integrity of that bracket. I've since read opinions here and on other sites saying that new hole increases potential to weaken that bracket. One author/contributer showed computer-mechanical-design software simulation of the added metal fatigue from drilling that new hole and its increased potential for breakage given stress over time or large-enough, one-time shock-load.
MiWranglers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
arg0413
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Contact XT Ryan on the forum, he gave me a great deal on my Zone lift! The cam adjustment bolts are on mine and helped get some caster adjustment, but adjustable control arms are the only way to fully dial everything in perfect. They aren't necessary on that amount of lift though, I didn't use them. If you had the money in your budget, it certainly would be a great investment.
Unread 08-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #15
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiWranglers
Just my two-cents on the front track bar...I bought BDS adjustable front track bar in lieu of reusing stock track bar to avoid drilling that new axle bracket hole a fraction of an inch toward driver's side. Intuitively, seemed like it might impact integrity of that bracket. I've since read opinions here and on other sites saying that new hole increases potential to weaken that bracket. One author/contributer showed computer-mechanical-design software simulation of the added metal fatigue from drilling that new hole and its increased potential for breakage given stress over time or large-enough, one-time shock-load.
This is why you should weld a plate over the bracket face before drilling a new hole.

OP not all adjustable track bars are created equal and @ 3" of suspension lift metalcloak would be my first choice. The only other adjustable track bars I would want at 3" of lift would be a jks 126 and only if I was using a v8 zj tie rod. Or Currie if I needed 2" of bumpstop extension for other reasons.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.