Another Knocking in 1st after lift thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another Knocking in 1st after lift thread

1976-1986 Jeep CJ7 with Stationary Vent Windows Weatherstr1978-1986 Jeep CJ7 Fuel Tank with Strap Set 15 GallonApril Savings Save 5% Off Of Jeep Product Orders

Unread 04-21-2015, 08:08 AM   #1
bparsel
2011 JK Wrangler 

Another Knocking in 1st after lift thread

I did a 2.5" lift on my recently aquired TJ. Ive got some slight vibes around 20mph...nothing too major so I'm on the fence about a TC drop etc.

Anyways, I have the infamous knocking when taking off in 1st gear. Ive done a bunch of reading and it seems like the consensus is 2 things. Either a worn trans mount or the tc shifter knocking on the body.

I pulled the skid last night, only having 3 stripped nutserts (awesome) which I quickly got down with a pickle fork and the air wrench. The TC shifter doesnt look like it is knocking, no marks on the catalytic converter etc or front driveshaft and my mount doesnt look too bad. I'm going to replace the mount anyways due to age and its relatively inexpensive.

Any other thoughts?

bparsel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Let me start by saying I drive an XJ. But I've had this annoying knock every time I shift. I checked the drive lines and the bell housing bolts. I just couldn't find the problem till I noticed this
Unread 04-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
bparsel
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Let me start by saying I drive an XJ. But I've had this annoying knock every time I shift. I checked the drive lines and the bell housing bolts. I just couldn't find the problem till I noticed this
Youch! That might be a problem

Mine is only in 1st gear under firm/heavier acceleration. If I accelerate lightly or start in 2nd it wont make the noise.
Unread 04-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bparsel View Post

Youch! That might be a problem

Mine is only in 1st gear under firm/heavier acceleration. If I accelerate lightly or start in 2nd it wont make the noise.
I too have been able to keep the knock to a dull problem, but it takes a lot of feathering the clutch. Anyway, I never noticed any slack in the driveline cuz it was bound in place cuz of the tires being on the ground. The visual inspection is what identified the non-90 position in that u-joint. May not be your problem, but if it is it's an easy fix.
Unread 04-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check your motor mounts. I had more of a stick shake when I bought mine but I could see if it was bad enough it might knock (maybe?). Anyways when I put on my MML I noticed the driver side had cracked. This was causing it to flex some.
Unread 04-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
bparsel
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
Check your motor mounts. I had more of a stick shake when I bought mine but I could see if it was bad enough it might knock (maybe?). Anyways when I put on my MML I noticed the driver side had cracked. This was causing it to flex some.
Will do,
Unread 04-21-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Add a 1" motor mount lift. It should help with the vibes, and might stop the knock too.
adding a few washers between the skid and frame helps too.
big t case drops should not be needed on 2.5" of lift. A little one might though.
Often it is the cat or exhaust touching something metal.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
bparsel
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
Add a 1" motor mount lift. It should help with the vibes, and might stop the knock too.
adding a few washers between the skid and frame helps too.
big t case drops should not be needed on 2.5" of lift. A little one might though.
Often it is the cat or exhaust touching something metal.
I plan to do some washers once I get the new nutsert package from MrBlaine. A MML will most likely be coming as well as I am planning on adding a 1.25" BL. The 2.5" SL is nice, it just isnt high enough. I should have gone 4" from the start.
Unread 04-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #9
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bparsel View Post
I plan to do some washers once I get the new nutsert package from MrBlaine. A MML will most likely be coming as well as I am planning on adding a 1.25" BL. The 2.5" SL is nice, it just isnt high enough. I should have gone 4" from the start.
Going 4" opens a bigger can of worms.
2" to 3" plus a bl and mml is a great way to go!
Perfect height for 33" tires!
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.