Another exhaust issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another exhaust issue

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Rubiconzombie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Another exhaust issue

2003 Rubicon 4.0 automatic. The other night coming home from work my exhaust got really really loud. I didn't hit a bump or anything like that I was merging onto the interstate and had to rev the motor to about 3000 rpm's to get into traffic. That's when IT happened. There was no pop or metallic sound that I could tell. My ride home is about 60 miles 40 interstate 20 are decent to good 4 and 2 lane highways. About a mile from my home the road turns to crap as soon as I turned onto my road ( needed paving 10 years ago )that's when IT stopped. This was during thanksgiving break so I had it in the woods for a few days taking my kids hunting no loud exhaust thru the rpm range. Went to drive it to work today and as soon as I turned off the crappy road the sound came back. I had the exhaust fixed 3 months ago they had to press fit the new down pipe/converters as I have the 2 piece manifold design on my Heep. Everything seams to still be intact I can push or pull and the exhaust has no measurable play. I have had a cracked manifold before this sound is much much worse. The gauges have not changed I do not believe this is a internal engine problem. Please let me know what else to check I have another ride F150 but it has a drinking problem.

Unread 12-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Inspect it? That's what I'd do... or take it to a reputable shop and have them inspect it for you.
Unread 12-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you get a cold morning, you can fire it up and look for a water vapor leak. But it does sound like you have forced a connection apart enough to get a leak. I'm guessing that you need a smooth surface under the Jeep to reflect the noise back to you.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
StrokerJeep00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That double collector by the manifold is tons of fun! Mine likes to loosen up as well, that is until I got some decent flange gaskets seated in these and torqued them back down.
StrokerJeep00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
pwdrtoastman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

same issue here, i have to retighten them almost every week.
pwdrtoastman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2014, 01:35 AM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokerJeep00 View Post
That double collector by the manifold is tons of fun! Mine likes to loosen up as well, that is until I got some decent flange gaskets seated in these and torqued them back down.
The "Y" pipe that connects to the 2 piece exhaust manifold doesn't use flange gaskets...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.