another "bad vibration/death wobble" at 50mph thread...pls help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > another "bad vibration/death wobble" at 50mph thread...pls help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
boze_man
2005 LJ Wrangler 

another "bad vibration/death wobble" at 50mph thread...pls help

hey all...i am tryin to get my jeep sorted for a trip to SD on sunday...but i cant get rid of the terrible DW/vibration at 50mph...it starts at say 45mph and is gone by say 55mph...tonite was the worst DW after swappin fronts/rears...

stock '05 LJ...37k...have had align done twice and have had tires balanced 3x in last 3wks...i have also swapped tires around and also brought spare into play to try to isolate where/what wheel is cause...

i am goin to try to set toe-in myself this evening...

i was getting some pull under braking as well but that comes and goes as i swap wheels...warped rotor...i dont think so...

any advice/help?

have read some threads on DW and vibration but thought i wopuld post my symptoms as well...thanks for the great info
bill

boze_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
archer75

That doesn't sound like death wobble. Death wobble wouldn't go away when you hit a speed. You have to come to a stop or close to it. It sounds more like you have a vibration that builds up over time which sounds like something is loose. Maybe have the ball joints checked and the wheel hub bearings. Also the tie rod, drag link and all the ends. You could also take a look at the track bar.
archer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
boze_man
2005 LJ Wrangler 

toe in checks out at 1/8...torqued lower track bar bolt...maybe just need new tires...have the stock goodyears, they have some bumps/depressions on the sidewalls in a couple spots, does that mean anything??

may go back to firestone and get tires rebalanced again...
boze_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
buellwinkle
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem on our 2005 TJ that was still under warranty, just about a month ago. It was scary and dealer couldn't fix it. Turned out to be the stock shocks were fried. We never go off road, just California freeways but the stock shocks are really bad. The original tires, although only half worn were badly cupped from the bad shocks. I had to get new tires and shocks so I figured it was time to upgrade and went with 31" tires and a BB lift kit. Not happy with the cheap RE shocks so I'm waiting for OME Comfort shocks to come in.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.