Another 5.2 swap But this ones frame up!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another 5.2 swap But this ones frame up!!

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
97buildup

Another 5.2 swap But this ones frame up!!

First thanks in advanced for all the help and second Hello to all the members out there!!!!

So here is the plan i have had prob like 10 wranglers in my life and all of them have been under powered even with 4.0 i just felt like i wanted more so after a little browsing i saw backwoodsoffroad.com and my eyes lit. I have aquired a near mint frame from AZ due to the fact MASS sucks A@# with over loading our road with sodium choride so i wanted a good frame and found it so this is gonna be a frame up build so here comes the questions.....

1. I have a few options on a 318 here im looking for the best setup and most reliable, so would the 98 and on magnum be a good choice or something a little older

2. Transmissions are big question in my eyes BC as much as i would love to have a NV3500 they are scarce up here in MA so i have been looking at a a500 setup out of a 98 Dakota only BC it had a fresh rebuild 15k ago what would you guys recommend as for transmission or not recommend.

3. The t case's i have already which is my 231 D HD and 231J have been indestructible and i would like to use either one,im guess the HD one will be better BC its Heavy Duty one with 1.5 chain vs the 1inch one, but i have been reading about some swapped ones using the 249 instead of these are there any reasons particurly?

So once agian thanks for the info and help....Steve

photo-8-.jpg   photo-6-.jpg   photo-4-.jpg  
97buildup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

98+ 5.2, or 5.9 are the best choice due to having the correct sensors and harness for the 98+ pcm that will work with the 97-00 tj gages. Pcm's are gage bus specific as well as transmission specific.

A few things to think about. If you use a high pinion front axle the 44re, or 46re out of a Dodge can have drive shaft clearance issues. The best choice is use a grand Cherokee version of either of those transmissions. The starter is on the passenger side and gives more drive shaft clearance.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
97buildup

I have a line up on a 98 dakota 5.2 with a a500 transmission and a 231 D HD im not planning on putting a high pinion front end, is there issues with just the stock d30?s
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97buildup View Post
I have a line up on a 98 dakota 5.2 with a a500 transmission and a 231 D HD im not planning on putting a high pinion front end, is there issues with just the stock d30?s
They actually call it 44re in 98, but with 3.5" of lift I didn't have issues with my old lp44. The starter is on the drivers side on the Dakota transmission vs passenger side on a jeep. I would source a transmission from a v8 grand Cherokee 96-98. If you don't already have a hp30 then getting on wouldn't be a bad idea. You are adding about 100# ft tq to the vehicle and added drive train strength is a good thing to have.

The hp30 is easy to find since they stuffed them in Cherokee sport until 99, but 96-99 are the better years to source from due to them all having 5-760x joints and being non disconnect.

Not sure what you plan for a rear either but seeing you are starting with a frame the explorer 8.8 would be a solid choice. I have a d44 and it's been good to me, but would never even try to run a d35 rear. That would be a ticking time bomb behind that magnum v8.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
97buildup

Im most likely going to be using the 8.8 rearend i have from my old TJ i will maybe have to change the 3.55 gearing but i guess we will see im talking to a few local guys but thats a great idea about the HP30 from the cherokee those are all over the place around here as well

Tags
5.2 , engine 5.2 , frame swap , swap , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.