Another 4.0 piston skirt thread - Repair or replace - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Another 4.0 piston skirt thread - Repair or replace

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #16
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

To the original poster of this thread, I'm trying to give you some idea's as to how to diagnose your engine problems, please let me know if I'm helping you?...

Unread 06-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #17
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Piston slap sounds like a diesel engine sound that gets quieter as it gets hotter. Pistons can also cause a clattering sound when cold. Lifter can also clatter and tick but the sound isn't as deep or pronouced.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #18
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
To the original poster of this thread, I'm trying to give you some idea's as to how to diagnose your engine problems, please let me know if I'm helping you?...
BS! this guy posts in every thread i post...so does the other guy....its prue jealousy! Get over it people!
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #19
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Have you changed the oil and looked for aluminum debris in the drained oil? You could also cut the oil filter open and check there.

I bought a tool for cutting my filters open to inspect them.
Like this:
HAND CRANK OIL FILTER CUTTING TOOL from Aircraft Spruce
The one I bought cost around $60...
Quote:
Originally Posted by halo26 View Post
Hey Guys,
Thanks again for the responses!
Have you checked your oil and filter?...
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #20
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do yourself a big favor and get that oil changed now. Diesel fuel is the worst thing you could put in there, the bearings are going to wear terrible from this!

Last edited by Nonya; 06-30-2010 at 10:52 PM..
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #21
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced all the pistons in mine last year. Did it for about $250. Rod bearings changed also. Mains looked new in mine. I bought the parts on ebay. I reused all gaskets but the head gasket.
Just removed the head and the oil pan and did it in the car port.
Mine now uses a quart of oil at 3000 miles per quart. (I was careful with my ring gaps)
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #22
Dryseals
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post
BS! this guy posts in every thread i post...so does the other guy....its prue jealousy! Get over it people!
You've got issues buddy. First you call me a liar and then you come back and tell the OP............

Quote:
If you had some idea what the noise was and were sure its from the lower end you could easily pull the oil pan and inspect the pistons. Easy job but i would get a good opinion 1st. A good mechanic should easily be able diagnose the noise in 1 hrs time. Shorting each plug or pulling each injector plug should tell you which cylinder it is and even if its a bearing or piston if the mechanic is good. With the oil pan off you inspect everything BUT you need pro help IMO. Too much basic knowledge is needed to check bearings etc to actually explain how to do it.
So which is it, a bearing or a piston?

We're all here for the purpose of trying to help others, if some one suggest something other than what you post then you start calling them names. Is your ego really that frail? And if you post something in a thread does it make it your thread and no one can is allowed to post unless they agree with you 100%.

Grow up, no one really cares what you post until you start tossing the slurs and accusations around. Jealous of you, your ego is out of control.......
Dryseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #23
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you had some idea what the noise was and were sure its from the lower end you could easily pull the oil pan and inspect the pistons. Easy job but i would get a good opinion 1st. A good mechanic should easily be able diagnose the noise in 1 hrs time. Shorting each plug or pulling each injector plug should tell you which cylinder it is and even if its a bearing or piston if the mechanic is good. With the oil pan off you inspect everything BUT you need pro help IMO. Too much basic knowledge is needed to check bearings etc to actually explain how to do it.
Quote:
Do yourself a big favor and get that oil changed now. Diesel oil is the worst thing you could put in there, the bearings are going to wear terrible from this!
I have been running Rotella t 15/40 in my rig for over 25000 miles with no ill effects and being as that oil is SM rated as is Mobil 1 I doubt it would hurt anything.
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #24
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry i meant diesel fuel , its what i assumed he used.
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #25
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryseals View Post
You've got issues buddy. First you call me a liar and then you come back and tell the OP............

So which is it, a bearing or a piston?

We're all here for the purpose of trying to help others, if some one suggest something other than what you post then you start calling them names. Is your ego really that frail? And if you post something in a thread does it make it your thread and no one can is allowed to post unless they agree with you 100%.

Grow up, no one really cares what you post until you start tossing the slurs and accusations around. Jealous of you, your ego is out of control.......
i'm not even going to respond to this because its so far out there...really get a life.
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #26
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

halo26 i'm no longer going to post in this thread, If i can help pm me. I hope you find good answers to your questions. Some of the guys posting in here have no more than backyard knowledge which can really be lacking. Be careful who you take advice from. Good Luck
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #27
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do yourself a big favor and get that oil changed now. Diesel oil is the worst thing you could put in there, the bearings are going to wear terrible from this!
If it is Delo/Delvac/Rotella T, then it is very GOOD oil for the Jeep.

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #28
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This applies to 91-95 4.0's but then it may still relate?

www.colorado4x4.org
: (0) FWIW, that era 4.0L had a change in the piston skirt length which resulted in notorious piston slap. The only real fix was to convert it to the older piston & connecting rod assemblies, which Chrysler fought tooth & nail. They tried teflon coated pistons and a couple other fixes, none of which worked for long. The issue turned into a class action about 12 years ago, not sure how it ever got resolved. They'll run forever that way, just a bit annoying when cold.

And this:
www.jeepnewsnow,com
We got a message from a reader giving us a little more insight into the 1991-1995 4.0L Jeep class action suit...

...Apparently on the 91-95 4.0L engines there were different sized borings for the pistons. When one looks underneath the spark plugs on their engine, there are painted letters. There should be one letter per cylinder, and this letter denotes the boring size. Apparently the letter C is the average boring size, on my engine it varies from D to B to C. The result in several of these engines is piston slap, though I have heard tales of excessive vibration and broken motor mounts as well. In 1996 Chrysler "rebuilt" their boring machine for the engine blocks to only make C sized borings in all the cylinders when they started building the TJ engines. Some late model (December 1995 on) YJs got the TJ engine, which has the only C sized bores.
LRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 01:39 AM   #29
halo26
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Makes scenes to me... I'll stop in at one of the local shops and see what they say.

Not diesel fuel, diesel oil... sorry about the confusion there. I'm running the same thing DevilDogDoc is, Rotella t 15/40.

LRod - Awesome info/links, thanks!

You guys have all been really helpful and I def appreciate it!

Sooo... if this is indeed a piston skirt issue, is replacing a piston something your average (or a little below average) shadetree mechanic can do (with the right manual, tools, etc)?

Nitecop, you said you have done this before... how bad was it?

One of the biggest reasons I bought this jeep was to expand my mechanic knowledge... my buddy is saying this is a PITA, but definitely do-able. I just want to see if thats the general consensus...

Thanks for the quick responses and helpful info!

Last edited by halo26; 07-01-2010 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: Didn't see there was 2 pages :-P
halo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #30
halo26
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Have you checked your oil and filter?...
Hey knuckelhead,
On the last oil change it actually looked really good! It was the first change after I bought it (always nerve racking ), and I was surprised how good it was. I didn't open up the filter though... I will on this next change, this weekend (fingers crossed).

Thanks for the help!

-Halo
halo26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piston skirt , tj , wrangler , repair , replace

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.