Annoyances of a TJ - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Annoyances of a TJ

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 04-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #91
TJCeeJay
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody smoke their knees on the two metal anchors about that stick out of the floor just inside the tailgate? Had her for a year and those things are still the only thing I've ever cursed at her for. Everything else is just - "It's a Jeep."

TJCeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2008, 11:57 PM   #92
BrandNew
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADave View Post
Like others -

Crappy factory brakes - my fronts vibrated 10 mins. after I drove it off the lot. Dealer turned the rotors and it's been better since. Shouldn't have to turn brand new rotors & brakes. Guess I'll upgrade the brake system when they fail again.

Crappy factory CD player. Fixed that by having a Pioneer DEH-P5000UB installed at Circuit City last week. USB port and controls my I-POD directly. Lock the I-Pod in the glove box and pick whatever I want to listen to from the head unit. Plus it plays any CD I stick in it. Sounds good with factory woofer & speakers too.

I like the motor (I6) & tranny (6-speed). Guess 'cause I've always driven trucks. Feels like it should to me.

Mine hasn't queued the duck yet.

Once I lifted mine I quit catching my belt loop on the door latch loop... but I have a couple pairs of jeans with a dangling chad from before the lift.

I guess my biggest complaint is just highway manners. Not comfortable to run 70-80 mph for long periods. I expected this and deal with it 'cause I love having it once I get where I'm going. Have a big-azz Ford SuperDuty diesel crew cab that's supposed to be the FX4 Offroad edition... right... with it's length - lack of ground clearance - sucky turning radius, It's pretty much useless in any off-road situation. I'll take the Jeep thanks!

The pleasures FAR outweigh the annoyances for me.
ok im sorry if this was lready answered but what exactly is the duck??
Unread 04-14-2008, 12:29 AM   #93
tjtone
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The multifunction switch, Turn signals, Hazards, and High/Low beams. Causes problems with turn sinals and flasher act very strange. Replaced mine twice already.
tjtone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 12:40 AM   #94
muddnugget
2004 WJ 

I love every flaw
Unread 04-14-2008, 12:54 AM   #95
randonlee25
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Flaws are what makes a Jeep a Jeep! If I didn't have little problems or "annoyances" I would be bored with it!
randonlee25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 07:27 AM   #96
cvdberg13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Transfer Case Shifter Linkage Bracket... i hate the rattle
cvdberg13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 08:27 AM   #97
Wup This
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just thought of one. Not neccessarily a TJ thing but more of a Jeep thing. People on forums who think post count=knowledge.
Unread 04-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #98
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, as you can plainly see I am way smarter than you. Almost twice as smart!

...now hush, I'm off to install a throttle body spacer and a K&N filter for that super performance boost!
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 09:01 AM   #99
LandoCommando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Torx .

Oh the irony.
LandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #100
58dDriver
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The use of both metric and standard bolt sizes is a little annoying. After a while it just gets funny. But the only truly annoying thing is my jeep leaking water on the passenger floor board when the AC is on durning a hot humid day. Sure I fixed it but it sucked unit i figured that one out.
Jerry is right though. Its just a characteristic of the jeep. If it didnt have these little problems then I wouldnt be able to tinker with my jeep all the time.
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #101
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Gas caps. I need a frickin chain tied to mine. I think I'm on number 6 now. And I never can get it on right, so it always throws a code, so I have to go take it off, tighten it back up, then the code goes away.

Vibrations. I hate chasing down vibrations. If it's not a U-joint, it's a wheel bearing. If it's not a wheel bearing, it's a tire out of balance. If it's not a tire out of balance, it's a dent or unbalanced drive shaft. Part of that comes with just being hard on it though, and not running factory equipment.

Storage space. There sure is a lot of dead space in Jeeps for there not to be any more storage space than there is. How did the army in WWII fit so much crap on their's when they were half the size?

Torx bolts. I hate them. I also hate those two reverse torx bolts on top of the transmission.

The vent on my transmission sucks too.

It sounds like I'm complaining, but it's never let me down on a trail, so I have no room to gripe too much.
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #102
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Only complaint: Mine lost the ugliest Jeep contest to a brand new 4 door JK!
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #103
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
factory alternator is too small
117 amps isn't enough for you? What makes you say that? I'm running that same alternator, a single battery, and even when winching I've yet to think the alternator was too small.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #104
slate210
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The only gripe I have is with the stock sway bar link design. But I finally got rid of them so it's no longer an issue! JKS!

While this isn't a gripe per se, I wish Mitsubishi didn't supply us with such a crappy starter. When mine went it was so worn out internally and decomposed externally that I don't think remanufacturing it will be and option! But at $50 for a new remanufactured one, I can't complain at all.

To those commenting on Torx bolts, what's your issue with them?? I don't get it. I love that I can take apart a good portion of my Jetta and Jeeps with just a handful of torx sockets. They're incredibly solid feeling and get the job done. Plus the T-15 and T-10 are waaay easier to use than any phillips or flat head on a screw driver. I can promise you I've rounded far more rusted hex headed bolts than stripped out torx bolts.

Also, someone complained about poor visibility?? You can't see around the roll cage? Or were you being sarcastic?
1997 TJ 4.0 5-SP 134k mi. Red Jeep Club Member #450 - Some mods...
NJJA - New Jersey Jeep Association

2006 VW Jetta TDI DSG 54k mi. BLACK Rocketchipped, boostvalve, boost gauge.

Last edited by slate210; 04-15-2008 at 02:34 PM..
slate210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #105
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgrubicon View Post
First gear in my rubicon (6 speed). As soon as I let out the clutch I have to shift into second. It is annoying when trying to accelerate quickley or in stop and go traffic.

Several replies told this guy to start off in second...why did nobody tell him to just go to 33's and quit gripin'?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.