Angry sparrows or squirrels or what?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Angry sparrows or squirrels or what??

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Bubba3200
2002 WJ 

Angry sparrows or squirrels or what??

05 Rubicon...65,000 miles....When traveling long distances (2-3 hours of driving) I get this sound that is related to the jeep speed not engine speed. It sounds faint like a leaf caught in the heater fan. Raise the fan but the sound dosent follow. Push the clutch in at speed and the sound is steady with the jeep speed. Sound is not very loud but it is there.. I know about the angry sparrows etc and I have pb-blasted the drive shafts u-joints and the front wheel u-joints and it seems to go away for a good while. After rain and a few months of driving the noise comes back but only after a few hours on the road. Like when they get good and hot. I pb-blast and all is good for a good while. Am I masking some trouble down the road by doing this? And do you just go in and change out all the u-joints, because how do you tell which joints are making the noise. I am a good shade tree mechanic but have never replaced u-joints before. Too bad these joints arnt greaseable. Thanks for the help.

Bubba3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
XXRider
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Rebuild the drive shaft, you REALLY don't want it to lock up when you are driving. Not sure if the Rubicon's drive shaft is the same but here is Stu's article on how to do it for a regular TJ, doubt it is much different if any.

TJ Front Drive Shaft CV Maintenance
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Bubba3200
2002 WJ 

The noise sounds like it is coming from the front. The front drive shaft dosent turn when in 4-H correct? So this would be the rear shaft but the noise sounds like it is coming from the front. Little confused here????
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba3200 View Post
The noise sounds like it is coming from the front. The front drive shaft dosent turn when in 4-H correct? So this would be the rear shaft but the noise sounds like it is coming from the front. Little confused here????
The drive shaft is turning all the time in any mode.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
alecmcmahon

Remove the front drive shaft and drive around, if the noise is gone, you need to replace your u-joints and cv joint.

-alec
Unread 10-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
Bubba3200
2002 WJ 

OOPS!!!! I mean the front drive shaft dosent turn in 2-wheel mode does it?? One poster says the front shaft turns in any mode? If this were the case then what disconnects the front drive? I have been driving down the road with the noise in 2-wheel and then put it in 4-H and no different with the noise. The sparrow noise only comes when I am on the road (hwy speeds) for about an hour or so. When things heat up I am guessing. So I guess what I am asking is this. If the front shaft dosent turn when in 2 wheel drive and the noise is coming from the front where is this noise from? The noise sounds like it is from the dash area. I am just trying not to change un-necessary parts.
Unread 10-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Any time a stock TJ is rolling the front drive shaft is rotating.

Do as suggested and remove the front drive shaft and drive the Jeep. This will tell you if the noise is from the shaft or not.
Unread 10-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba3200 View Post
OOPS!!!! I mean the front drive shaft dosent turn in 2-wheel mode does it?? One poster says the front shaft turns in any mode? If this were the case then what disconnects the front drive? I have been driving down the road with the noise in 2-wheel and then put it in 4-H and no different with the noise. The sparrow noise only comes when I am on the road (hwy speeds) for about an hour or so. When things heat up I am guessing. So I guess what I am asking is this. If the front shaft dosent turn when in 2 wheel drive and the noise is coming from the front where is this noise from? The noise sounds like it is from the dash area. I am just trying not to change un-necessary parts.
Yes, the front driveshat shaft turns even in 2wd.

To easily identify the shaft as the problem you can simply disconnect the front of the shaft from the pinion yoke and lash it to the frame/CA with a rope or strap. and take it for a spin. If the noise is gone, it's your DC joint. Obviously DO NOT put it in 4wd with it tied to the frame.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
Bubba3200
2002 WJ 

If the shaft (front) turns all the time then what happens in the transfer case when you flip to 4-H or low. If the shaft is spinning all the time then in the transfer case in 2-wheel the gears for 4-wheel are in neutral and then when you flip the lever it engauges with the shaft to hook up the 4-wheel drive?? Is this how it works?
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The shaft turns because you don't have an axle shaft disconnect or manual hubs, so it is connected to your tires and turns with them. When you engage 4wd it couples the front output shaft in the t-case to the rear output shaft. When in 2wd the front output shaft is not connected to the front and just idles in the case. (or that's the most simplified explanation I could come up with).

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
Bubba3200
2002 WJ 

Thanks......I am sorta of brain dead this am.....I need to see sunshine. Tired of all this rain.
Unread 10-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #12
Bubba3200
2002 WJ 

To change out the u-joints what is everyong going with. I would like the greasable ones not the needle adaptor but the ones you can do with a regular grease gun. Jeep for the most part is a street jeep........thanks.....I see you need 5 u-joints??? Part numbers?? Nappa?? 05 Rubicon
Unread 10-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a bad u-joint. Replace them.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Next time you hear the noise just spray one thing at a time,rear driveshaft drive it if you still have the sound spray the other shaft drive it and so on.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
Bubba3200
2002 WJ 

Are spicer's 5-760x the way to go on the driveshafts? And I need 4 or 5 u-joints?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.