Amateur Needs Help with Jeep Overheating - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-05-2016, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
TranceRusso

Amateur Needs Help with Jeep Overheating

I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

I've got a 2001 Wrangler Sport that just won't stop overheating. A couple months ago, I took it into my mechanic, turns out it was an issue with the head gasket, which they promptly repaired. It ran wonderfully until a few days ago. I parked and my Jeep began POURING water onto the pavement under the passenger side of the car. Now, if I idle for more than about 30 seconds, it shoots from its normal 210 degrees to 260 plus. When I move, it air cools, so it's essentially back to how it was before I took into the shop. I filled the coolant yesterday, and that helped slightly, but it still has trouble remaining at a normal temperature. I know there is not a leak with the coolant either.

I've found countless threads online about this topic, but none concisely answer my question. Keep in mind that I do not know much about cars in general, so I feel dumb enough having to ask this question in the first place. Any advice, however vague, will help. The Jeep was passed down from my father to me, so it means a lot that I keep it running in top shape.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-05-2016, 07:34 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceRusso View Post
I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

I've got a 2001 Wrangler Sport that just won't stop overheating. A couple months ago, I took it into my mechanic, turns out it was an issue with the head gasket, which they promptly repaired. It ran wonderfully until a few days ago. I parked and my Jeep began POURING water onto the pavement under the passenger side of the car. Now, if I idle for more than about 30 seconds, it shoots from its normal 210 degrees to 260 plus. When I move, it air cools, so it's essentially back to how it was before I took into the shop. I filled the coolant yesterday, and that helped slightly, but it still has trouble remaining at a normal temperature. I know there is not a leak with the coolant either.

I've found countless threads online about this topic, but none concisely answer my question. Keep in mind that I do not know much about cars in general, so I feel dumb enough having to ask this question in the first place. Any advice, however vague, will help. The Jeep was passed down from my father to me, so it means a lot that I keep it running in top shape.
Can you describe where the coolant was pouring from?

Also, filling in your profile will help with future questions.

Welcome to the forum...
post #3 of 9 Old 08-06-2016, 04:54 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Knuckelhead highlighted exactly what I was confused about in your statement.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-08-2016, 10:10 AM
EricD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Typical place to start would be the thermostat. It is cheap to replace.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/re...stat-tj-533631
post #5 of 9 Old 08-08-2016, 10:36 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Water under passenger side -- heater hose or core?

Added : don't drive it until you know what is happening,that could damage the engine.

There is nothing unique about Jeep cooling systems. If anyone of your friends is knowledgeable about cars, they might be able to spot your problem.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #6 of 9 Old 08-08-2016, 10:45 AM
EricD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

As I understood it, the spillage was from the overheat condition, and he said there was no leakage otherwise?
post #7 of 9 Old 08-08-2016, 10:58 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Spilling coolant on the ground only when it overheats makes me think there is a problem with the overflow container, more specifically where it connects to the radiator via that rubber hose. As in it's leaking or not connected. The radiator cap releases coolant when the pressure rises above 18 lbs. which happens when the coolant is too hot, but that released coolant is supposed to flow into the overflow reservoir.

The radiator cap could also simply not be screwed on all the way which would let the hot coolant leak out from under the cap.

That the temp makes a rapid jump to the overheat condition makes me think the thermostat has gone bad and is sticking shut. If that's the case, I'd replace it with a new thermostat with the correct factory specified 195 degree rating. Make sure NOT to install a "fail-safe" thermostat which gives problems by hanging up in the open position where it won't let the engine warm up properly in cooler conditions. A good thermostat, if you can find it, would be a Stant SuperStat.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-14-2016, 03:27 AM
Pine_Cat

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceRusso View Post
When I move, it air cools, so it's essentially back to how it was before I took into the shop. I know there is not a leak with the coolant either.
New fan clutch

2017 JK Sahara (my "Smart" car)
2011 KK Liberty (H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 32s)
2009 Kia Sorento (H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31s)
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner (see profile)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (SWB-EXT lift, rear Tahoe Z71 springs, skinny 32s)
1998 Dodge Durango (SuspensionMaxx and Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32s)
post #9 of 9 Old 08-14-2016, 04:46 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The OP never came back...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.