Am I preping hard top correct for painting? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Am I preping hard top correct for painting?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
JimWoods
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Am I preping hard top correct for painting?

I am going to paint my hard top with Krylon Fushion black satin spay can paint and had a few questions on prep work.

I bought 2004 gray hard top in excellent condition. No damage and the paint on it is very shinny no cracks faded or anything. Just does not match my jeep.

I do not really want to sand it because I want to keep the texture on the hard top. Do i need to?I will if needed.

I was thinking just wash top really well with dish soap.Or should I use something more harsh like purple power,409,ect.? Then throughly srub with sctochbright pad or medium corse prep pad (not sand paper) which would be better?

Then wash down again with soap and water.
Then wipe down with what minreal water? acentone? or what? not really sure what to use here.

tape everything off and let dry. wipe down with tack cloth and then start painting. Do very light coats .so about 3 -4 coats or 5 coats?

What I am worried about-
1-since the top is in very good condition(paint is very shinny/slick , not cracked, or faded) I am afraid the Krylon Fushion will not stick right- get runny/smeary even though I do light coats.
2- how do I keep an even appreance paint job. No darker and lighter areas-streaks. How do you spray paint over the large areas and not get streaks.I have painted many interior pieces with Krylon Fushion before with great even finishes but that just small bezel and covers.

When spray painting the large top area should I go left to right with paint can across the top or go length ways from the front edge to back?
How long should I wait after i finish a complete coat to start spraying again

JimWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would source some quality wax + grease remover. After a wash down with that, proceed to the scotchbrite you mentioned. Prep with W+G again, mask and spray.
For the side glass, I would take the time to insert some small rope under the outer edge of the weather strip. That will lift it up off the surface, so that when you mask it,
you won't have a crappy "masking edge".
Let us know how it comes out, or post some pictures. Good Luck!
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't worry too much about what the middle of the roof comes out looking like. Not too many people are high up enough to even see that once you mount it on your jeep. :-)
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

I painte my faded/smoothed out old CJ-7 top with spray-on bed liner. Got the texture back and looks great, even through the hard Wisconsin winters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.