alternator issue follow up... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > alternator issue follow up...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 01-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
chris4jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

alternator issue follow up...

Hey guys, I am pretty new here but i felt like since i am getting issues i might as well keep anyone who feels like reading this update on a few of current issues on my 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, here is a list of issues I have on the jeep

1. Cylinder misfire codes for cylinders 4 and 6 (also multiple misfire code P0300)

2. Fog lights won't turn off, and Highbeams won't turn on. (need multi-function switch)?

3. Got a "Check Gauges" light, and suddenly I watched my battery gauge drove from the middle all the way to the red for a dead battery.
^
^ As the battery Gauge drops, the radio, head lights, blinkers, ect all shut off. even the odometer won't come on. eventually jeep just cuts off as I come to a stop in a parking lot. WHEN ATTEMPTED TO CRANK IT UP IT SOUNDS LIKE THERE IS NO JUICE IN THE BATTERY SO IT WONT CRANK.

THIS LAST ONE IS MY BIGGEST ISSUE. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IT COULD BE? The battery is 4-5 years old, so im wondering if its just so old it just stopped charging. or if i have mud in the alternator and need to pressure wash it?

I will update this with pictures and details tomorrow if anyone cares to know the out come.

SO FRUSTRATED!!!!!!! AND CONFUSED WISH ME LUCK!

Unread 01-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4jeep View Post
...So, here is a list of issues I have on the jeep

1. Cylinder misfire codes for cylinders 4 and 6 (also multiple misfire code P0300)

2. Fog lights won't turn off, and Highbeams won't turn on. (need multi-function switch)?

3. Got a "Check Gauges" light, and suddenly I watched my battery gauge drove from the middle all the way to the red for a dead battery.
^
^ As the battery Gauge drops, the radio, head lights, blinkers, ect all shut off. even the odometer won't come on. eventually jeep just cuts off as I come to a stop in a parking lot. WHEN ATTEMPTED TO CRANK IT UP IT SOUNDS LIKE THERE IS NO JUICE IN THE BATTERY SO IT WONT CRANK.

THIS LAST ONE IS MY BIGGEST ISSUE. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IT COULD BE? The battery is 4-5 years old, so im wondering if its just so old it just stopped charging. or if i have mud in the alternator and need to pressure wash it?
1. If you've been mudding this thing, you might have water between your spark plugs and the boots. If so, take a hair dryer and dry them out. If not, you might just need new spark plugs. Make sure you gap them to .035. They hardly ever come gapped right out of the box. Make sure you put some dielectric grease in the spark plug boots to keep the plug tips from corroding and any water from shorting them out.

2. I had this problem a couple years ago and a new multi-function switch cured the problem. It was really quick and easy to install with the factory service manual.

3. I would clean and re-tighten the battery connections. I know Advance Auto (and possibly Auto Zone) can check both your battery and your alternator for you for free.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

2X^^
Bad battery could cause engine issues like rough running and misfiring.

For #3 if you know how to use a multimeter measure the voltage at the battery engine off and engine running. Besides cleaning the terminals inspect the wiring and check all of the grounds. Clean all the ground wires both sides. Battery to tub, battery to engine and Tub to chassis.

On the battery itself check the cell fluid level if it is maintainable. Only add distilled water unless you could get Sulfuric acid.

Even is you do all of this charge it and get it load tested along with the alternator.
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
chris4jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys thanks for the opinons..... I have alot to say so let me try to organize my thoughts.

Ok, so I spent the morning banging the crap out of the terminals so i could take the battery out. (they were stuck on there good) Finally 45min later i had got the rusted bolts out and the battery removed. I let the terminals sit in some good rust remover while I went to Sam's Club to get a battery.

(Letting yall know do not go to Sear's, they charge 200+ for a crappy battery when I can go to Sam's and get a Duracell with a 8 year warrenty for 79.)

They tested the battery and they said that it wouldnt even hold a charge.... they were suprised it lasted as long as it did.

Anyways, going on.... I bought a Duracell Battery, bought new bolts for the terminals, a new air filter, and some water remover which you add to your gas. And when I came home the terminals were all shiny again

So, I cleaned the battery compartment (lots of mud in it) and put the battery in and put the new bolts and clean terminals in. The jeep barley cranked up....... WITH SOME ISSUES STILL....

I HAD CYLINDER MISFIRE IN 4 AND 6 AND THE BATTERY HAS ALREADY DROPPED FROM 14 TO 12 VOLTS....

I drove it around and it sits at 12 volts some of time and then goes back up..... but every time it dropes close to 12 the CHECK GAUGES LIGHT turns on.

So long story short I decided it wouldnt hurt to wash the alternator and wash the coil rack.... well those simple washs lead to me up under the car in the trans, skid plates, brakes, tires, under the engine, every friggin inch of the car, finding gallon after gallon of mud! I couldnt understand it. I had already spent a hour cleaning it 2 days before. I ended up spending 4 hours under the car. Once my wash complete i let the engine run for 10min....

I came back to a 14V charge on the battery and no check engine light and no check gauges light.

I am not sure if the battery issue is resolved i have not really drove it for a day. I will post back and let yall know tomorrow.

It still is running a bit funny so I am thinking I might have a tad bit of water in the engine somewhere. So I will add that water remover on my next fill up.

I still havent had a chance to look for a whole new multi function switch thing. (the whole thing with the blinkers, windsheild wipers, emergency flashers, all that good stuff) I have been told that it will cost me a good 200 to get one? is this true???

besides that all I need to do now is get the mud out of my car.

Let me ask yall a question? What do you think caused all this to happen? Was it just mud or could it have been a bad battery and maybe a alternator issue? I don't know?

Also, let me know with a little response if anyone likes these write up type things. I kinda enjoy doing them and I think it gives people a chance to look at issues that can occur.

And Also THANKS to yall who posted on here it let me look at those which in the end helped me solve some of the big issues. NOW JUST ONE MORE TO GO. (I HOPE)
Unread 01-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4jeep View Post
Let me ask yall a question? What do you think caused all this to happen? Was it just mud or could it have been a bad battery and maybe a alternator issue? I don't know?

Also, let me know with a little response if anyone likes these write up type things. I kinda enjoy doing them and I think it gives people a chance to look at issues that can occur.

And Also THANKS to yall who posted on here it let me look at those which in the end helped me solve some of the big issues. NOW JUST ONE MORE TO GO. (I HOPE)
Pics help on write ups.

As for your issue, the bad battery and battery not being charged was definitely an issue. It's hard to tell exactly what the actual sequence of events lead to this. It could be just corrosion, or mud or other reasons.

Did you clean all the ground ends? And what did the wires look like. Were they green or coated with white powder? With all the corrosion or junk you mention, it sounds like you had in the battery area you may have corroded wires.
By cleaning them I mean take the connectors off lightly sand the wire connector and the area it contacted. May be put some dielectric grease on there. Then reconnect.
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
chris4jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I did so much yesterday, (many little things) that I had forgot to add some. But yes I will try to add my pictures

Thanks for the feedback

Tags
follow up , jeep build , rebuild

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.