Alternator?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Alternator??

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 10-22-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
bama27
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Alternator??

Sup guys have a problem and need some advice. I have a 01 tj that is having electrical problems. Last week the jeep wouldnt start so I took the battery to work and tested it (said to charge and retest), after charging the tester read good battery. I put back into jeep and drove around for a few days no problems. This morning I stopped to fill up the tank and then the jeep wouldnt start back up, no lights, radio, nothing. Luckily I had jumper cables and got it jump started. I took it to advanced and the alternator tested at 47 amps. The salesman said I need a new alternator. So do I get the 117 amp one or should I get the mean green alt? I have 4 overhead lights and 4 fog lights on the bumper, and I'm planning to get a winch and cb soon. Would the mean green alt be too much right now, or should I get it now with future upgrades coming soon?

Thanks for the help in advance.

bama27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The 117 amp alternator is fine for even all that. Not even a Mean Green can keep up with a winch where it's the battery that is the key component.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
hoseclamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I swapped my 117A for a '04 Durango 160A jobber. I looked at the mean green, 200A is killer, and you can weld off it, but for the price and restrictive service issues being so far away, I chose the 160A, 1/2 the price at the time too. My alt is a Bosch, part # AL 6553X. If the price is right, an extra 43A is good to have for accessories. Might be a Durango alt for your model year too.

JEEPS ARE NOT CARS, STOP CALLING YOUR JEEP A CAR!!!!!!!!

Last edited by hoseclamp; 10-22-2007 at 10:20 AM..
hoseclamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
FlexyTJ

winch under load can draw between 400-600 amps. NO alt is going to keep up with that kind of sustained load. As Jerry mentioned go ahead with the 117, and get a good deep cycle/high maH rated battery (optima, Odessey, ect..)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.