alternate higher capacity oil filter? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > alternate higher capacity oil filter?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-13-2003, 07:19 PM   #1
jasondew
2004 WJ 

alternate higher capacity oil filter?

i know that some other vehicle's oil filters fit the TJ but i can't remember which ones. i would try a search but this board won't search on any word shorter than 4 letters. so, what larger filters (more surface area) can i use? i figure that i might as well get a larger filter if the price is similar to the standard one. i do know all about filters and what makes a filter a good one vs. a bad one, so i don't need discussion about that, just which larger size fits. again, i'm not asking about brands, just other applications that fit the TJ.

thanks,

jasondew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2003, 08:07 PM   #2
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

PH8 is a perfect match.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2003, 08:38 PM   #3
PrfctAggression
Web Wheeler

[deleted]
[COLOR=yellow]Yellow Jeep Club and Redneck Jeep Club member #666 [/COLOR]
PrfctAggression is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2003, 01:22 PM   #4
ATJ03

I use Mobil-1 = stock number = M1-301

Also Motorcraft FL1A , Purolator L30001 , Fram PH8A

Fram filters are crap - DO NOT use !

Do a search for oil filter analysis and see that Mobil-1 is the best
rated filter . It is made by Champion filter company .

Oil filters are like battery's , all made by a few company's with
different quality levels and prices .

Unread 07-14-2003, 01:54 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

What benefit to a larger capacity oil capacity do you all feel there is?

My thought is this... that with the regular oil filter changes most of us adhere to, the oil filter is not sufficiently clogged with debris to warrant one with greater filtration capacity. They don't have finer meshes, and they're not really that clogged... and not even close to the point of going into a bypass mode.

I have given larger capacity filters some thought over the years and I just can't come up with a valid reason for them, except for those who don't change their filter with each oil change (which is stupid).

Just curious about why you all think it's worth it...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2003, 02:10 PM   #6
Owen

I always run the standard size... If you change them every 3,000 miles you are wasting your money...my last truck had 175,000 miles on it and ran like the day it was new... never once did I run anything but the standard oil filter...
Unread 07-14-2003, 03:14 PM   #7
tcross34

Quote:
Originally posted by owen1832
I always run the standard size... If you change them every 3,000 miles you are wasting your money...my last truck had 175,000 miles on it and ran like the day it was new... never once did I run anything but the standard oil filter...
So when do you change your filters, if your wasting your money every 3,000.
01 Solar Yellow Sport, 4 speed auto, 4.0, hard, soft & bikini tops, Warn 8000lb winch w/ brush guard, Bushwacker fender flares, Dana 44, K & N filter, Safari Snorkel, Borla exhaust, Throttle body spacer, 4" Superlift, 2" Body lift, 35" x 12.50" Goodyear MT's on AR Rims, Alarm w/ remote start, etc, etc, etc.
tcross34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2003, 03:16 PM   #8
Owen

Quote:
Originally posted by tcross34

So when do you change your filters, if your wasting your money every 3,000.
Mistype... DOH... I mean you are wasting your money on the larger capacity filter if you are changing your filter every 3000 miles. It is not necessary. The regular capacity filters work just fine.
Unread 07-14-2003, 03:19 PM   #9
tcross34

Makes much more sense now
01 Solar Yellow Sport, 4 speed auto, 4.0, hard, soft & bikini tops, Warn 8000lb winch w/ brush guard, Bushwacker fender flares, Dana 44, K & N filter, Safari Snorkel, Borla exhaust, Throttle body spacer, 4" Superlift, 2" Body lift, 35" x 12.50" Goodyear MT's on AR Rims, Alarm w/ remote start, etc, etc, etc.
tcross34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2003, 03:43 PM   #10
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

I use a larger filter. Not for any particular reason. It costs the same, so I've been doing it for over a year now. Haven't noticed any difference.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2003, 04:30 PM   #11
jasondew
2004 WJ 

from what i can tell, sticking with the same brand and model, the filter size doesn't change the price. if it's the same price why not have a little better flow to reduce the strain on the oil pump and possibly increase circulation of the oil (just a little). slightly greater total engine oil capacity to aid in lubrication and cooling seems valuable too. also, with larger element area it would only seem logical that there would be less buildup of filtered debris per unit area and therefore there would be less forcing of small particles through the element and less resistance to flow of the oil.

i always change my oil and filter at 3000k miles.

it's not my opinion that the stock size filter is unacceptable, just that i can see some benefits to going with a larger one. the only additional cost is about an 1/2 quart of oil per oil and filter change. i wouldn't go making expensive custom machined changes to increase the filter size, but for basically no additional cost why not?

Last edited by jasondew; 07-14-2003 at 04:36 PM..
Unread 07-14-2003, 04:56 PM   #12
ATJ03

Larger filter is the same price .

Larger filter will give better oil flow and oil pressure .

Larger filter will give lower oil temperature .

Larger filter will give 1/2 qt additional oil capacity .

Unread 07-14-2003, 05:14 PM   #13
kdavis

HiJack

Sorry, but since we're talking about filters...anyone have a voodoo chant that makes it easier to change oil on these things (including the V8 5.9L without getting oil everywhere.

Whomever mounted the oil filter at a 45 degree angle should be killed, unless, of course there is a good reason (ie: better pick up).

Thoughts?
Cragar Soft 8's, High Tech Retreading OTR Muds, New Front End
What I Do: MT Web Guy
kdavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2003, 05:18 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by ATJ03
Larger filter is the same price .

Larger filter will give better oil flow and oil pressure .

The improved oil flow and oil pressure theory from a larger capacity oil filter is really not true. At least not if you're comparing it to a standard-size filter that is flowing properly and not clogged from an excessively long change interval.

If the oil pump is pumping (for example ) 2 gallons per minute and the stock oil filter can handle 3 gallons per minute (and it WILL have more reserve flow capacity than is needed), then placing an oversized filter with 3.5 (or whatever) gallons per minute capacity will not cause higher oil flow. It cannot, since the oil pump only pumps so many gpm. This is similar to an air intake on an engine.... once there is sufficient air capacity to flow all the air into the engine that it is demanding or can use, providing excessive air flow capacity over and above that does nothing.

Also, oil pressure will decrease if there is excess flow capacity anywhere in the closed oil circulation system... so oil pressure in and by itself is not directly indicative of engine health or the quality of the oil circulation. You can install an oil that has too high of a viscosity and raise oil pressure simply because the high viscosity oil is hard to push through the journals... which creates higher oil pressure which is not always good... like high blood pressure only indicates the heart is working too hard, not that there is good blood flow.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 07-14-2003 at 05:28 PM..
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2003, 05:55 PM   #15
jasondew
2004 WJ 

the flow of anything: an oil filter, an air filter, human aorta, garden hose, etc. isn't a set value. flow varies directly with pressure and inversely with resistance. the larger flow of a "higher flow filter" is due to the decreased resistance of that filter. the rated flow of anything in that list is likely the flow below which significant increase in pressure is not required to maintain that flow. but, a larger cross sectional area (lower resistance) in any of those items in the list will lead to a lower pressure before the item, if the flow is kept constant. hence the reduced strain on the oil pump theory.

if my understanding of the oil circuit in the engine is correct then a lower pressure differential at the filter won't deprive any of the parts being lubricated by the oil. the engine doesn't rely on pressure buildup from the oil filter to make the adequate pressure you read on the oil gauge. that pressure is measured elsewhere in the engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.