Almost wrecked my jeep the other day... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Almost wrecked my jeep the other day...

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-28-2004, 12:32 PM   #1
MikeTheVike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Almost wrecked my jeep the other day...

I was driving to school and it was raining. I was on a road with 2 lanes going in each direction, and a turn lane in the middle. I was in the left lane, going about 40mph and I see this car pull out of a restaurant driveway from the other side of the road.

I thought to myself "no way this guy is going to get in my lane, he pulled out too late, he's going to go across my lane and to the lane to my right." But of course he pulls right into my lane, cutting me off. Now it was raining, and I haven't had the jeep long enough to know how fast it will stop in the rain. I knew there was a car to my right, so I swerved to the left to avoid hitting their back end, only someone had just pulled into the turn lane fro mthe other direction, so I swerved again into oncoming traffic!

Thankfully there was nobody there, and I got back over to the correct lane behind the car that cut me off. I noticed it was an old couple with a handicap thing hanging from their rearview. I laid on my horn.

Well, they get into the turn lane for the upcoming stop light, but CHANGE THEIR MINDS and cut me off again!! I laid on the horn some more, the whole time screaming at them. Then they decide they are going to turn left. When I drove by them the old lady was giving me this look, I just wanted to smack the crap out of her.

I bet they didn't even know they cut me off the first time, and didn't even see me swerving all over the lanes behind them. Sorry this is so long, had to vent!

MikeTheVike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 12:44 PM   #2
JeepsterWC04

I completely understand.

The area where I live is plagued by duffers and gummers. And they are totally oblivious...
JeepsterWC04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
Jasonoff

I want a huge push bumper so I don't have to slow down for that crap in the future
TJ took it's place...
[color=white]White Jeep Club Member #706[/color]
Jasonoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 01:48 PM   #4
JFiorentino
2004 TJ Wrangler 

They come in all Ages.... The other day, we went shopping. It was really busy and hard to find a parking spot.

Some young guy on a sport bike drives up onto the sidewalk and parks right there. It was a regular sized sidewalk, so his bike was took up 3/4 of the walkway. Also, he parked in front of the handicaped parking access to boot.

On the way in, we squeezed around the bike. Mind you that the bike's exhaust was red hot, so I had to help my 7 year old daughter to get around it without being cooked.

On the way out, the same guy was in front of us. We were forced to stand there watching him and his girlfriend get on the bike while we stood there with our arms full of groceries.

My wife attempted to squeeze by the bike and stumbled. She didn't fall, but twisted her ankle a little. The guy on the bike busted out laughing in her face. At that point I really lost my temper and proceeded to explain to him what an idiot he was for parking there.

He gives me this stupid look and exclaimed something like "are you talking to me" after I had almost reached my Jeep. He's lucky that I didn't throw him a beating.

It's idiots like this that make people hate motorcycles. 99% of us riders abide by the rules. All it takes is one idiot to spoil it for us all.

J.

"When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires always has the right of way"

2004 TJ, Auto w/ OD, 4.0L, Off-Road 36x13.5 Super Swamper IROK's on MT Classic II Rims, SYE, CV Driveshaft, 4:56 Gears, ARB Locker, 3.5" RE Superflex, 2" Body Lift, JKS Quicker Disco's, 9,000# Winch, Toys-by-Troy step-sliders, The Source OBA. And lots more....
JFiorentino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
ChristopherJ
Resident Physician

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I want a huge bumper with a metal stamp like thing that would place my initials in the sheet metal of another car. If they pull out in front of me, and i survive, they'll get a souvenir.

That's only hypothetically speaking of course.....
ChristopherJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
SirGCal

I live with that stuff every day... it's just part of driving in Austin.. (manypeople here really need new driving lessons...)

People here like to:
  1. pass you to turn right.
  2. run up the median or turn-only lane then sneak in at the light like 'Ohh, I didn't know I had to get over...' (this is a really bad one here...)
  3. jump in front of you if their vehicle just might possibly squeze between you and the car infront of you. (no such thing as minimum safe distance here...)
  4. slam on the brakes full power the first sign of slipage. (gets real intresting in the rain. I couldn't imagine anyone here dealing with snow...)
  5. not use turning signals. I'd be suprised if 50% of the people knew what they were and where they were located...
  6. not check for clearence before DIVING into the next lane (or two).
  7. talk on the cell, eat, b!tch at the kids, read the paper and put on war-paint while driving

These aren't once in a while around here, these are all the time, every day, all day in town. Some items worse than others but these are just a few off the top of my head.

Bikes however do park on the sidewalk, but almost always out of harms way. Why? Because the average austinite will push it over if it's in their way... Seriously... I guess it's a good thing though cause most bikers are curtious of where they park. When they aren't, they have a 50/50 chance if it ending on it's side or being towed all together. I'm sure there are a few places that are not the norm for this rule as there always are but the parts of town I frequent, this is usually the rule, not the exception.

But I tell you one thing.. With the people in this town, I wouldn't ride a bike here... They'll damn near run you over. I've seen more than one car shove a bike out of their lane before. Calling the cops on em is hit and miss. (depends on who's on duty I guess...)

As far as driver's attitudes are concerned, Austin sucks... Plus, you know half the people are packin also so you don't want to give them the one finger salute...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 07:06 PM   #7
Semprini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
Bikes however do park on the sidewalk, but almost always out of harms way. Why? Because the average austinite will push it over if it's in their way...
In downtown Miami we're plagued by delivery scooters. Several times I've parallel parked on the street and come back later to find two or three of them wedged into the gap between mine and the next vehicle. I couldn't help but push them over like dominoes while pulling out. I suppose that makes me a bastard...
Semprini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 07:45 PM   #8
JFiorentino
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semprini
In downtown Miami we're plagued by delivery scooters. Several times I've parallel parked on the street and come back later to find two or three of them wedged into the gap between mine and the next vehicle. I couldn't help but push them over like dominoes while pulling out. I suppose that makes me a bastard...
I thought real hard about hooking my tow strap to this guy's sport bike and moving it for him, then I came to my senses and decided not to... Isn't that was tow straps and hooks are for

J.

"When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires always has the right of way"

2004 TJ, Auto w/ OD, 4.0L, Off-Road 36x13.5 Super Swamper IROK's on MT Classic II Rims, SYE, CV Driveshaft, 4:56 Gears, ARB Locker, 3.5" RE Superflex, 2" Body Lift, JKS Quicker Disco's, 9,000# Winch, Toys-by-Troy step-sliders, The Source OBA. And lots more....
JFiorentino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 09:46 PM   #9
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFiorentino
I thought real hard about hooking my tow strap to this guy's sport bike and moving it for him, then I came to my senses and decided not to... Isn't that was tow straps and hooks are for

J.
Watched a guy on a hog on a rural two lane; passed me on a blind crest, and squeezed by a bunch of other traffic by riding the yellow line.
Going like hell, and taking awful chances. All anyone had to do was wander in their lane- like maybe turning their head to see what the loud exhaust was about- and he would have been toast.
Moon
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.