Alloy USA Locking Hub Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Alloy USA Locking Hub Conversion

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
97Heep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Alloy USA Locking Hub Conversion

Does anyone have any experience with this hub conversion kit and would it work on the TJ D44 Rubi axle since it uses D30 knuckles anyways?

Also Mr. Blaine if you venture in here, will these hubs work with the 16" BBK? I'd send the hub to you for machining the rotor?

I saw on another board that the Warns were sold to Randy's Ring and Pinion. Has anyone run his and how do they hold up. Mr. Blaine, will the Randy's R&P hub conversion work with your kit if I ship the hubs to you?

Thanks all in advance for you help.

Unread 03-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Heep View Post
Does anyone have any experience with this hub conversion kit and would it work on the TJ D44 Rubi axle since it uses D30 knuckles anyways?

Also Mr. Blaine if you venture in here, will these hubs work with the 16" BBK? I'd send the hub to you for machining the rotor?

I saw on another board that the Warns were sold to Randy's Ring and Pinion. Has anyone run his and how do they hold up. Mr. Blaine, will the Randy's R&P hub conversion work with your kit if I ship the hubs to you?

Thanks all in advance for you help.
The alloy USA version is just another copy of the Warn with some crap tossed in. For what they are charging, I'd get something else since you are going to toss the u-joints, rotors, and probably the locking hubs in short order or buy the Warn versions and carry the ones in the kit as spares.

That said, I can make any of them fit one way or another.
mrblaine is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
Joedert
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just did my Ruby D44 axle lockouts with the 15" BBK. I got the Yukon 5x4 1/2 axle kit from Summit Racing. Also went with the Yukon inners and new spicer U joints. And new spicer ball joints. All that's needed was to open up the center hole on the BBK rotor and move the BBK rotor bracket outward about .245 with a spacer. (Yours may vary) Also I would suggest to pull the pinion and put in new inner axle seals at this time. Blaine was a great help to get me through it
Joedert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 01:01 AM   #4
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

why are you wanting lockouts?

FWIW I am running the warn kit with a 16" BBK. the rotors are machined to fit properly
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 05:22 AM   #5
97Heep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
why are you wanting lockouts?
So that I can cut down on wear and tear when drive the jeep on the highway from Texas to CA, CO, UT to wheel. Also if I break something on the front axle I can limp it to a shop or maybe even back to Texas. And well because I just do.
Unread 03-31-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So that I can cut down on wear and tear when drive the jeep on the highway from Texas to CA, CO, UT to wheel. Also if I break something on the front axle I can limp it to a shop or maybe even back to Texas. And well because I just do.
For $1200 you could rebuild your axle and driveshaft a couple times over. Or if you break something have the Jeep towed back to Texas for $1200. It would be insane to spend $1200 for those reasons, save the money for gas.
Unread 03-31-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
the thing you will break will be the hub.
Unread 03-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
97Heep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
For $1200 you could rebuild your axle and driveshaft a couple times over. Or if you break something have the Jeep towed back to Texas for $1200. It would be insane to spend $1200 for those reasons, save the money for gas.
Quote:
the thing you will break will be the hub.
Perhaps but considering it's my 1,200 bucks and not yours You are right though for 1200 I can buy new 4340 axles front and rear. It's a personal thing like swapping in a v8. Does a jeep need a v8 that isn't a dedicated rig no but I should would and am looking into putting one in my jeep.

I am also looking into the options of running a Detroit in the front and E-locker in the rear. Running the Detroit up front and highway driving is not ideal so having select-able hubs helps
Unread 03-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
fromme
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I will tell you, do not get the Alloy USA kit. Been there and done that. The Warn kit I had on my first TJ was great. This Alloy kit is not made right. I've fought with them about it, and then they ceased communication with me. I ended up pulling it and going back to unit bearings. The hubs they provide are junk, but I had a pair of the Warn hubs so I used them. Only to find the Alloy stub shaft is longer than the Warn stub which would not allow the locking hub to seat tight against the rotor/hub. It was easy enough to trim the stub shaft a bit to allow them to fit, so no big deal.
The bigger issue I have with them is that they do not use a retaining clip at the end of the stub shaft. This clip keeps the inner hub rubber seal pulled up against the spindle. Without the retaining clip, there is no seal there and water, mud, sand, etc gets in there and contaminates the bearings. Sure there is a groove machined in the stub shaft but it is not in the correct place for a new D30/44 conversion, it is for the older CJ D30. Like I said I discussed this with them, they would not acknowledge the issue and kept saying the same thing to me...that is is based off the CJ hub assembly and is a good kit. I got nowhere. I did not get the feeling that their "tech support" even understood what I was telling them, or they were just playing dumb.
Knowing Warn doesn't make the kit anymore I would pay the extra for the Randy's/Yukon parts.
I got that Alloy kit for $400 off Amazon so I wasn't out much. But in the end I spent $400 on something that was useless so it wasn't all that great a deal after all. I sold it for a profit though. I had a vibration in my V8 YJ I just couldn't get rid of and thought this was my only way to keep sane.

You are thinking about doing it backwards. Run the detroit in the back.
Unread 03-31-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
97Heep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the experience Fromme.

I have decided that I will not be going with the AlloyUSA kit. I am research the Yukon kit but right now I am going to be getting new front 4340 axles with inner and outer shafts so I don't needs those from a kit.

Thanks everyone for their input!
Unread 03-31-2015, 03:34 PM   #11
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Heep
Thanks for the experience Fromme. I have decided that I will not be going with the AlloyUSA kit. I am research the Yukon kit but right now I am going to be getting new front 4340 axles with inner and outer shafts so I don't needs those from a kit. Thanks everyone for their input!
The outer shafts for a hub kit are different than those for a unit bearing, so you will need those

I would be willing to wager that the Yukon kit is still inferior to the warm kit, which is still a foolish pursuit.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a Detroit in the front. Ignore whoever says otherwise. You want selectable in the rear. And under 2wd conditions it will be totally invisible even without hubs.
Unread 03-31-2015, 04:39 PM   #12
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Perhaps but considering it's my 1,200 bucks and not yours You are right though for 1200 I can buy new 4340 axles front and rear. It's a personal thing like swapping in a v8. Does a jeep need a v8 that isn't a dedicated rig no but I should would and am looking into putting one in my jeep.
Sure, at the end of the day I could really care less what you spend your money on. Not sure I'd put it on the same "it's a personal thing" level as a V8, but if that's how you want to justify a stupid way (IMO ) to spend money then go for it.

Quote:
I am also looking into the options of running a Detroit in the front and E-locker in the rear. Running the Detroit up front and highway driving is not ideal so having select-able hubs helps
For $1200+Detroit you could just install a selectable in the front too...
Unread 03-31-2015, 06:46 PM   #13
Joedert
2004 TJ Wrangler 

FWIW. This is the lockout hub that came with my Yukon kit. Don't know if it is all Warn parts though. But I'm happy
image.jpg  
Joedert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 06:30 AM   #14
fromme
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Also, there is nothing wrong with a Detroit in the front. Ignore whoever says otherwise. You want selectable in the rear. And under 2wd conditions it will be totally invisible even without hubs.
You must wheel only in straight lines and never have to make tight turns on the trail. It won't be invisible in 4wd.
Unread 04-01-2015, 06:35 AM   #15
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme View Post
You must wheel only in straight lines and never have to make tight turns on the trail. It won't be invisible in 4wd.
No locker is in 4wd but at least in the front, you don't need hubs in 2wd.
mrblaine is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.