All settings on heater/ac/fan blow only through Defroster - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > All settings on heater/ac/fan blow only through Defroster

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 2 door JK Recruit Half hardtop Kits Now available!

Unread 03-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
Jeep'nSon

All settings on heater/ac/fan blow only through Defroster

Hey guys,

turned on the heater the other day and air only came out through the defroster on top of dash. came to realize that it didn't matter what setting I used, the air only came out the defroster. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
jason

Unread 03-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You have a vacuum leak.. check the 'T' connection at the passenger side of the firewall and then follow the lines looking for the leak/crack.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
The Keith
1985 CJ7 

if it's disconnected from the manifold, you're cruise control won't work either. Mine keeps slipping off the nipple there...
Unread 03-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
xulcuz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Keith View Post
if it's disconnected from the manifold, you're cruise control won't work either. Mine keeps slipping off the nipple there...
pics? This is exactly whats happening to me...
-2003 Rubicon 4.0L with 5 spd- RE 3.5 SF lift, OME shocks, 33X12.50X15 Good Year MTR's, Mickey Thompson Classic Lock II's, Rokmen Mercinary front bumper, warn winch, Alloy USA axle shafts, Warn Rear bumper with tire carrier, Poison Spyder Customs Rocker Gaurds, Rubicon Express Chromoly Tie Rod, Rubicon Express steering stabilizer
xulcuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xulcuz View Post
pics? This is exactly whats happening to me...
This is on the driver's side of the engine.

Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
mike06X

could also be the vacuum actuator arm broken; its a plastic part that snaps in, and they get brittle and break..take off the driver side knee kick panel, and look from the driver side at the middle of the airbox..engine running, move the selector from defrost to heat to vent and you will see the vacuum pod move, and i bet that you'l see the arm is just laying, not hooked up / broken off..
Unread 03-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06X View Post
could also be the vacuum actuator arm broken; its a plastic part that snaps in, and they get brittle and break..take off the driver side knee kick panel, and look from the driver side at the middle of the airbox..engine running, move the selector from defrost to heat to vent and you will see the vacuum pod move, and i bet that you'l see the arm is just laying, not hooked up / broken off..
Not as common as you think it is.. I'd bet the vacuum leak.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
lashkk

I have the same problem 97 SE with 2.5. Why would a vacuum leak cause your selector to not change the path of the air flow. Is the actuator arm contolled with a cable or a motor. Trying to fix mine as well. Is there a way to test and see if you have a vacuum leak?
lashkk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
imjeepinVA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had the exact same thing on my 02, except for sometimes it would work properly and sometimes just air would come from the defroster.... The rubber boot that connects the 1/8" vacuum line to the vacuum reservoir under the battery, between the battery and the passenger side wheel well had a slit in it, causing a leak....
imjeepinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
Skyryder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashkk View Post
I have the same problem 97 SE with 2.5. Why would a vacuum leak cause your selector to not change the path of the air flow. Is the actuator arm contolled with a cable or a motor. Trying to fix mine as well. Is there a way to test and see if you have a vacuum leak?
These are vacuum controlled through canisters that when vacuum is applied pull a linkage arm that swings a lever connected to the deflector door. Just fixed mine yesterday. The lever that fits into a keyed slot pulled out and was dangling free. There have been other great write-ups on this, and the fixes. Being mine wasn't broke, just pulled out, I placed a drop of silicon on the end to help hold in place, , ,time will tell if it works, so far so good. My problem was the vent door, like where the A/C would blow, not sure but I believe that these little devils are interconnected some way as a couple of them have to move to get the desired result like defrost or floor etc.

Skyryder
'97 TJ
Skyryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
xulcuz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch740 View Post

THANK YOU! I have been only having me heat on defrost all winter and it was really bothering me! Im a newb and never new that was even there but thank you again so much. The fitting was really really lose so Im gonna tighten it up tomarow! I just wish i would have discovered this before winter......
-2003 Rubicon 4.0L with 5 spd- RE 3.5 SF lift, OME shocks, 33X12.50X15 Good Year MTR's, Mickey Thompson Classic Lock II's, Rokmen Mercinary front bumper, warn winch, Alloy USA axle shafts, Warn Rear bumper with tire carrier, Poison Spyder Customs Rocker Gaurds, Rubicon Express Chromoly Tie Rod, Rubicon Express steering stabilizer
xulcuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
Jeep'nSon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch740 View Post

I have to say thanks also, this was exactly my problem.

Thanks again.

Jason
Unread 03-10-2008, 06:44 AM   #13
RickScott

I am so glad I found this thread. My cruise and ventilation controls just went out and I'm sure this is what my problem is. I'll go check it at lunch. Thanks!
Rick
RickScott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2008, 07:13 AM   #14
randonlee25
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky529 View Post
You have a vacuum leak.. check the 'T' connection at the passenger side of the firewall and then follow the lines looking for the leak/crack.
A buddy of mine had the same problem! It's extremely easy to fix.
randonlee25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #15
sandmc
1992 XJ Cherokee 

My 97 SE is doing something similar. I have tried the remedy mentioned above but without success. One difference is that mine will change to blow from defrost to the feet, and sounds as though it is trying to switch to blow air to the face. Any ideas?

Last edited by sandmc; 03-28-2008 at 11:19 PM..
sandmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.