Alignment Report for the squirrel... did I get ripped off? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Alignment Report for the squirrel... did I get ripped off?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 12-13-2014, 02:59 AM   #1
Whizzerbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Alignment Report for the squirrel... did I get ripped off?

A while back I had an actual shop do my alignment. In which I thought would start to help me solve the wandering on highway speeds.

Looking back at the sheet and a few hours of research later I found out this shop had not set the caster even close to what it needed to be. Even my toe was in way to much.. once again probably should have read over the sheet before I left, but I was in a hurry. Here are the specs of what they gave me:

Caster - Initial: L3.41 R3.79 Final: L3.85 R4.15
My final caster for each side wasn't even close to the same. As I have read the factory is 7 degrees. As for my set up with 33s and 5.5" of lift I should be shooting for 5-5.5 degrees of caster.

Toe - Initial: L3.84 R-.79 Final: L-0.60 R0.61
Which in turn means my left front has tow out and the right has tow in?
Their total on my sheet came to 0.01 degrees...

From my knowledge camber CAN NOT be changed on the wranglers and if the information I have been given is correct.. well.. this shop is a wizard and changed my camber.

If someone can tell me if what I have learned from my searches is correct I need to go back and have them reset my caster to about 5.0 degrees and put BOTH tires to tow in at or around 1/8th of an inch correct?

This is the link I have learned my information from: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/en...g-read-663777/

Unread 12-13-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like they don't really know what they are doing, or just throwing BS.

I wouldn't place much confidence in them,but my understanding is that larger tires (deeper sidewalls) would require somewhat more toe in because of larger slip angle.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's your d35 front axle.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
nmtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What does your pinion angle look like in the front? With your 5.5" lift and lp30, compromises must be made between caster and pinion angle.

As for the toe measurement, dont worry about each side, just means your steering wheel is not perfectly centered, but i would like to see the .01 be -.01.
nmtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

In my experience most of the run of the mill tire, alignment shops are pretty clueless when it comes to solid axle 4 wheel drives. Or mounted and balancing large mud terrain type tires. Your best bet would be to take it to a specialty shop like 4 Wheel Parts if you want it set up correctly.
zackcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.