JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Alignment Opinions lifted TJ (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/alignment-opinions-lifted-tj-1072472/)

colgatefootball 07-19-2010 05:36 PM

Alignment Opinions lifted TJ

Ive had this twice now with both TJs ive had....take the thing to numerous places to get alignment, tires balanced, and people telling you about all the new parts you need blah blah....well when I lived in the DC area after 4 shops ripping me off I finally went to a more $ shop but good reputation, and they fixed it no problem, no hassles, and said aligning a lifted Jeep is different than stock....so here I am in LA and another Jeep, same problems...two alignments later its a little better but not right yet....called Hi Tech and this is what they said, on a lifted TJ 3-4" with 33s the Toe should be 0 (not toe in like stock specs) and caster 4.5-5. Right now my caster is 6.0/5.7 and wondering if thats the final piece to the Jeep driving like crap compared to every other lifted 4x4 ive owned (and thats all Ive driven since I was 16).

Opinions on caster 4.5-5.0 and toe at zero(0)?? What would my caster being a 6.0/5.7 possibly due to the handling or ride of the front end?

I have JKS adjustable control arms, any exact specific length I should have them set at? I think they set them at 1/2" longer than stock.

Thanks

viperbluelx 07-19-2010 05:42 PM

Never hard of running toe at zero.

colgatefootball 07-19-2010 05:44 PM

any opinion on the caster?

Mousejockey 07-19-2010 07:22 PM

Caster seems to vary from rig to rig. Some say 6-7 works for them, others say less. I am getting the feeling that weight, both sprung and unsprung may be a factor in caster on lifted rigs.

LLCoolTJ 12-19-2011 09:15 AM

How oftern should you get the alignment checked? I have a '06 Rubicon with 3" lift and 33s that I have had since April 2011. This is the first off road vehicle I have owned but I know if I drove my previous cars like I have driven my TJ, the alignment would be jacked :D!!

Gary2 12-19-2011 10:10 AM

about 5 or so is fine for caster and even at the OE spec isn't going to create and big issues and 3/32 to 1/8" toe in should be fine . The 0 toe is wrong period

flying_bosun 12-19-2011 10:29 AM

Every TJ owner should read and bookmark or print this: The "End-all, Be-all TJ Alignment thread"

ABQ-TJ 12-19-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flying_bosun (Post 12706318)
Every TJ owner should read and bookmark or print this: The "End-all, Be-all TJ Alignment thread"

Excellent info! :tea:

Imped 12-19-2011 10:40 AM

Any shop that says something along the lines of "aligning a lifted jeep is different than stock" doesn't know what they're talking about. The convention is the same--the required numbers will be slightly different based on drivetrain height and tire size. For 33's, 5* of caster is fine but you've also got to set it within the proper range of pinion angle as well. HP axles make balancing those two parameters much easier, especially when the drivetrain is really tucked up. Set toe to 1/8" in and set the control arms to place the axle such that there's no interference at full bump while achieving proper caster/pinion angle at ride height.

FYI, do this **** yourself and quit relying on others. It's easy.

The time now is 01:34 AM.