Alignment done...loud metal clanking noise when going over bumps. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Alignment done...loud metal clanking noise when going over bumps.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
jdtsaint
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Alignment done...loud metal clanking noise when going over bumps.

Hey guys,

I just had my alignment done two days ago. That same night (I live down a gravel pot-hole filled road), when going down my road I noticed a loud metal on metal clanking noise everytime i hit a bump. I took it back to the shop and they said that everything was in place, and that most likely it was just some worn bushings on the front end. Can anyone please point me in the right direction to finding out what the heck this noise is, and how serious a problem it might be.

Thanks,
John

jdtsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
YamahaDrtRdr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Check the sway bar links. When I first bought my jeep I noticed clank over curbs, it was the top bushing of the sway bar link, so that got replaced. It wouldn't have anything to do with an alignment tho.
Unread 09-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
jmasin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check the bushings on your shocks too. I recently had one go bad and it was metal on metal every time the jeep went over a small bump, but it doesn't happen when there are no suspension bumps etc.
Unread 09-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
jdtsaint
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Is it normal for these bushings to wear out?
jdtsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
jmasin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtsaint View Post
Thanks. Is it normal for these bushings to wear out?
Mine was a bad bushing, but everything can wear out it is just something to check.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.