Alignment after spacers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Alignment after spacers

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Alignment after spacers

I just installed 3/4" spacers on my LJ to level it out, am I going to have to do an alignment again or will 3/4" make that big of a difference? I did an alignment after I put the ZJ V8 coils on it a couple weeks ago.

NCUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would doubt the need for re-do on alignment.
Haven't done it on Jeep, but have added up to 2" coil spacers to my Dodge P/U with no side effects.

Purists will tell you to lenghten your sway bar arms, but I wouldn't with just 3/4" bump.

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Think I just found my own answer!!! YES I DO!!
Unread 03-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

or not?? I don't know
Unread 03-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
mississippi_xj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do it.

Shopping for a WJ to replace my DD Land Rover, Former TJ/YJ/XJ/WRX Builder...
Contribute to my YJ spring rate info thread!
mississippi_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
Yes, any change in front suspension height should be followed by an alignment. As ride height is increased, Toe-In changes, since the steering gearbox is raised in relation to the axle and Drag Link. See where the Tie-Rod and Drag Link are joined together? Imagine pulling those two parts upward at that point, like pulling a bowstring, which will increase the Toe-In...

Toe-In should be set at 1/16" to 1/8-inch (narrower at the front of the front wheels)...

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html
Unread 03-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceWrangler View Post
.... See where the Tie-Rod and Drag Link are joined together? Imagine pulling those two parts upward at that point, like pulling a bowstring, increasing the Toe-In...
But when you lengthen the drag bar, to recenter the steering wheel, you release that upward lift.....no?
You are moving the body on the frame a bit, because of the trackbar, but hear again, I've never had alighment or tracking problems when that happens.

Again.... fairly new to Jeeps. Just sharing my experience on vehicles in general.

RJ
Unread 03-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nope, you're not moving the body on the frame at all. Also, the Toe-In adjustment is done by lengthening or shortening the Tie-Rod. Lengthening or shortening the Drag-Link merely turns the steering wheel in relation to the front wheels (which remain still).

If the Tie-Rod went directly from Right Steering-Knuckle to Left Steering-Knuckle, a Drag-Link adjustment would be all that would be required.

But on Jeep TJ's the right end of the Tie-Rod is bolted to the Drag-Link, while the left end is bolted to the steering knuckle, which means that one small change in geometry at the Drag Link affects the Tie-Rod as well.
Unread 03-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thought you were saying pulling up on the drag link increases tow in??

Well, I'll get a chance to find out for myself. Ordered 1" spacers last week to lift front end a bit! I'll check the alignment before and after.

RJ
Unread 03-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
Thought you were saying pulling up on the drag link increases tow in??
Theoretically... pulling upward on the drag link, as that movement would relate to an increase in lift height, yes, that would increase Toe-In, like you were pulling on the string of a bow and the legs of the bow are pulled inward.

But to actually adjust the Toe-In, you lengthen or shorten the Tie-Rod. The Drag-Link adjustment has nothing to do with the alignment except to re-center the steering wheel when you're all done.

Sorry for the confusion.

Have a friend jack up the right front of your Jeep by the frame while you watch from the front, and you'll see how the front suspension moves as the springs lengthen.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.