Airbag Warning Light On - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Airbag Warning Light On

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-20-2003, 10:17 PM   #1
usetobejeeper

Airbag Warning Light On

Ive have a 99 Sahara that I bought used with no manual. Ive ordered the manual but the airbag light is on, has 77,350 miles. Do I need to get it checked per routine maintenance or is it something else?

usetobejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2003, 10:25 PM   #2
Owen

Mine has come on before. I disconnected my battery for about 30 minutes. Hooked it back up hasn't come on since...
Unread 05-21-2003, 10:34 AM   #3
StuckInMuck

Most of the time if it comes on and stays on you might have a airbag controller that failed. Mechanic told me the airbags will still work, but its just goin to show the airbag light until you get it fixed.

http://www.jeepanywhere.com/
StuckInMuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2003, 10:40 AM   #4
macb

put electrical tape over it...

diconnect the battery for several minutes, if it's still there after that then take it to a dealer to get checked out OR get the code yourself and check it out (search on error codes for more info)

Good Luck - and if you work on your airbag - set up a video camera, your tradgedy could be our comedy!

[url=http://www.cafepress.com/H2RT]No Bling - H2 Recovery Gear[/url]

Bob Supplee:supplee@ionet.net or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site: [url=http://www.stu-offroad.com]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
macb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2003, 10:45 AM   #5
Dakota

You need to get the error code for why the air bag light is on.

The reason is that there are various errors that can cause the light to come on, and at least one of them is dangerous -- that is, the airbag, under certain error condition, can deploy prematurely (i.e. without there being an accident) - such as while you are driving down the road.

So, you need to at least check the code before you decide to ignore it.
Unread 05-21-2003, 11:31 AM   #6
CCraig

My has a fuse, not sure about the '99s.

Check that the previous owner didn't pull them!

Just a thought, Chris
Unread 05-21-2003, 05:36 PM   #7
usetobejeeper

OK so I took the Jeep to a local shop and it spit out 3 codes, but I have run numerous searches and cannot find the codes. The shop said to call back tomorrow, but the mechanic said that when the light comes on it should disable the airbags. Anyone know where to find the codes?

BTW
Thanks for the input.
Unread 05-21-2003, 06:53 PM   #8
kyousif

look at the top under FAQ
kyousif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2003, 10:19 AM   #9
Jeep4fun

My question is: why does Wranglers have airbags? I wish there was a turn off switch for both bags. Hope I never hit a tree or something when offroading
Unread 05-22-2003, 12:28 PM   #10
Dakota

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeep4fun
My question is: why does Wranglers have airbags? I wish there was a turn off switch for both bags. Hope I never hit a tree or something when offroading
Nanny state is why - your mother the Feds.
Unread 05-22-2003, 01:10 PM   #11
macb

Quote:
never happen...the computer governes that the airbags not work under a certain speed. Also any impact violent enough to set off your airbag - will save your face. You want the airbag.

[url=http://www.cafepress.com/H2RT]No Bling - H2 Recovery Gear[/url]

Bob Supplee:supplee@ionet.net or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site: [url=http://www.stu-offroad.com]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
macb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2003, 10:12 AM   #12
Jeep4fun

That's good to know when I am crawling, it won't go off. I know this though, if you cross your hand over the steering wheel when you drive, when the airbag deploys, it can break your arm.

Just like you driving instructor said: hands at 2 and 10
Unread 05-23-2003, 07:42 PM   #13
Tango

Quote:
Originally posted by mcgawb

never happen...the computer governes that the airbags not work under a certain speed. Also any impact violent enough to set off your airbag - will save your face. You want the airbag.
thats good to know ....I didn't know about the certain speed thing ....I just pull my fuse's out when I wheel

back to the topic.... you said you bought it used ....I would check the fuse's and make sure the other owner didn't pull them out and never put them back
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2003, 08:04 PM   #14
TroyBoyM
whatever

Quote:
That's good to know when I am crawling, it won't go off. I know this though, if you cross your hand over the steering wheel when you drive, when the airbag deploys, it can break your arm.

Just like you driving instructor said: hands at 2 and 10
Excellent advice and it's something most people don't know or think of. Also, as many people hook their thumbs in the steering wheel, I see many broken wrists. Of course, given that these are often the only injuries (other than some burns caused by the deploying bags) in accidents that would've caused far worse injuries without airbags, I still encourage everybody to use them and not disable them unless absolutely necessary.
TroyBoyM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2003, 09:42 PM   #15
usetobejeeper

OK, so the Airbag Control Module is shot, the shop is asking $265 for a new one, not including installation. Could I buy this part used, or would that be a bad idea? Can you guys point me to an online source for Jeep parts?

About 85 my sig would have read;
78 CJ7 Rebuilt 302 with a Fireball Cam
T18 Transmission with adaptor kit
3 lift with 33 Super Swappers
8000lb Warn winch with custom bumper

I sold that Jeep and have regretted it since, but have found my way home. I bought used, and have inherited some problems, but driving my TJ reminds me how much I love these wheelers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.