Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Airbag Light On in my 2006 RHD Wrangler

1K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  grantsjeep 
#1 · (Edited)
Airbag Light On in my 2006 RHD Wrangler (SOLVED)

Hey Guys,

I've done quiet a bit of searching on here the last two days looking for a solution on the newer TJs, from 2003 - 2006, but I haven't been able to figure out anything.

I have seen this post here:

Passenger Airbag Switch Light Fix

However I don't even have that in my 2006 TJ. So my question is where do I start looking? I tried hooking my ODBII code reader to my Jeep but I didn't get anything back on the Airbag system, might have to get another reader for that maybe?

Any help or guidance would be wonderful!

SOLVED Here

Thanks
Grant

#6 ·
Okay I got my BlueDriver ODBII scanner from Amazon and I'm getting the following error code:

RF WHEEL SENSOR SIGNAL FAILURE
I think this means there is a Wheel Sensor in my Steering Wheel? I've seen plenty of "clockspring" posts for earlier model Wranglers, but I haven't been able to find any information on 2003-2006 Wranglers! Does anyone have any advice!

Thanks
Grant

#7 ·
Does your TJ have ABS?
That sounds more like an ABS wheel speed sensor code.
Doesn't seem like anything to do with the air bag.
Then again, I don't know if I've ever seen a US sales RHD TJ with ABS?

#8 ·
No I don't believe it does, I just did the front brakes I saw no wires around the braking system, not even some hanging from not be connected correctly.

I did find this online, so I've ordered it and it should be here tomorrow:

Dorman 525-119 Airbag Clock Spring

So I'm going to try that first, again I think the RF refers to the location which would be correct on my RHD TJ, and since I don't have ABS brakes, the Wheel Sensor I assume refers to the Steering Wheel.

-Grant

#14 ·
I think you're chasing a rabbit and a skunk and calling them a chicken.

Seems like you have two different issues...

I don't see how any "WHEEL SENSOR SIGNAL FAILURE" would be causing your airbag light to be on.

It's very possible that your OBDII scanner is not capable of reading faults from the air bag module.

I'm still having a hard time trying to figure out what "wheel sensor" a TJ with no ABS would have.

Was there a code number?

You can blindly throw $200+ at a new air bag module if you want, but I would try to actually diagnose it before I did that.

I doubt you can return a clockspring once it's been installed.

#15 ·
LOL that was fantastic! I bought it from Amazon so I've had good luck with returning stuff that didn't fix an issue I was trying to solve which is why I purchased it from Amazon in the first place.

No my code reader didn't spit out a code which just the text I posted from above, so I agree I think I need to look into another code reader that can give me an actual error code from the Airbag System so I can get my Airbag light off correctly!

Is there a way to look at the VIN number to determine if my TJ has ABS or not?

Thanks
Grant

#19 ·
Just tried that and nothing, I have no check engine light and when I did it, it just said "done". Just ordered another scanner tool, should be here Friday, I'll see if that one works, if not, I'll be looking for a used Snap-On set from about 10 years ago on Craigslist.

#20 ·
The easiest way to see if you have ABS or not is to look for a tray under the brake master cylinder / booster assembly.
If you don't have ABS it will be an empty tray.
If you do, the ABS module will be mounted there.

#22 ·

Pretty sure this means I don't have ABS on my Wrangler.

The airbag module on your TJ is not part of the OBDII system, it is it's own system with it's own protocols.
Yup I realize this, but there are scanner tools out there now that support SRS/Airbag Systems and Protocols, the one I had just got I was told from the manufacturer that it would read the error code and well it didn't.

-Grant

#25 ·
You are correct, no ABS.

There can be a lot of reasons for the airbag light to be on. An open anywhere in the circuit is one of them.
Does your Jeep have the switch where you can turn off the passenger side airbag?

#29 ·
I was just asking because I have seen a few instances of people getting an air bag light on due to a poor connection and / or corrosion at that switch.

#34 ·
OKAY so I got my Solus Pro in, darn that thing is expensive but worth every penny I spent on it.

ANYWAY I got the following error code from the Solus Pro:

Passenger Squib #1 Circuit Open

At least that is something I can work with, Off to the Rugged Unknown of the GOOGLES!!!!

#35 ·
Solved!!!!

SOLVED!!!!!

So I found a forum for Chrysler's talking about a bad connection for Passenger Side Airbags and they were able to fix it be disconnecting the connector, after safely disabling the Airbag System first, and cleaning the connector's and putting it back together!

So I went out, undid the battery, opened the glove box, pulled the fuses and waited 10 minutes just to be safe.

What I found next made me laugh. Here is what I found when I went looking for that connector:

The passenger side airbag wasn't even plugged in, it was un plugged and shoved up into the dash board. All I did was clean with pins with a little bit of carb cleaner on a q-tip, let it dry, plugged it back in, put the two fuses back in and then reconnected the battery. I started the Wrangler, and the Airbag light went off immediately.

I sincerely hope this helps somebody out! I wasn't expecting it to be something that easy, but the Snap-On Solus Pro gave me a place to look which I'm entirely grateful for!!!

Thanks
Grant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.