Airbag light in dash when starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Airbag light in dash when starting

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-02-2003, 03:30 PM   #1
mrmojorisin

Airbag light in dash when starting

Hey all,

While doing a herc install this weekend, i disconnected the silver box in front of the console (I think that's related to the airbags right?) and reconnected it when i finished....after that, the airbag light comes on when starting the car and beeps 5 times. Is something broken or can i just reset something somehow? Also could this be related to the wiring under the driver's side seat? It was disconnected before but i reconnected it after the install. Thanks in advance for any help

mrmojorisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2003, 03:34 PM   #2
mrmojorisin

BTW, i'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the whole "loose wiring harness behind the instrument cluster issue"...i haven't seen the other probs associated w/that.
Unread 09-02-2003, 04:04 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Since you've undoubedly re-checked that you plugged it back together properly and securely, you could try disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes and then reconnecting it. That will reset the computer and maybe fix the problem... just a guess and a suggestion though, I don't know if it'll help at all.

And yes that silver box is part of the airbag system, it contains the activating switch for the airbags. There is a steel ball inside that gets forced forward into a tapered channel in a major impact which will make a contact that deploys the airbags.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2003, 04:24 PM   #4
mrmojorisin

Thanks for the quick reply...i did recheck today that it was reconnected properly (I had the battery disconnected while doing so) and it is. I was initially afraid i had plugged it in upside down and fried something, but i saw today that that's not possible (it's keyed). is it possible that the ball inside would be moved around w/the unit on its side?

Also, i had the battery disconnected the whole time the unit was disconnected and again today, so i'm not sure what else to do from here.
Unread 09-02-2003, 04:41 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojorisin
Thanks for the quick reply...i did recheck today that it was reconnected properly (I had the battery disconnected while doing so) and it is. I was initially afraid i had plugged it in upside down and fried something, but i saw today that that's not possible (it's keyed). is it possible that the ball inside would be moved around w/the unit on its side?

Also, i had the battery disconnected the whole time the unit was disconnected and again today, so i'm not sure what else to do from here.
No worries on that ball, it's not moving anywhere except if it's hit with a lot of G's from the right direction, it's not loose at all. Both air bag fuses (behind the glove compartment) ok? Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes before messing around with anything to do with the air bag circuitry though.

Unread 09-02-2003, 04:43 PM   #6
ian-X

to truly reset your computer you need to disconnect your battery, turn the key in the ignition, and hold it for 20-25 seconds.
Unread 09-02-2003, 04:45 PM   #7
mrmojorisin

Thanks...i didn't think the ball would be loose (I would have heard it rattling or something). I'll try to disconnect the battery again, this time for 5 mins, and i'll see if that does the trick...i read somewhere else that you should turn on the lights w/the battery disconnected to discharge some capacitors. Is that true?

Fuses are good BTW.
Unread 09-02-2003, 04:46 PM   #8
mrmojorisin

the key should be held to what position? the starting position (all the way forward)?
Unread 09-02-2003, 04:52 PM   #9
ian-X

yes, the starting position.

doing this will remove any and all errors codes in your computer. have you checked your error codes? there can often be soft codes that do not trigger the engine light.

to check the error codes, turn the ignition on and off three times quickly.
Unread 09-02-2003, 04:53 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojorisin
the key should be held to what position? the starting position (all the way forward)?
Though disconnecting the battery for five minutes is also required, just turn the headlights on for a few seconds to drain the air bag circuit's capacitor to drain any remaining charge.

Unread 09-02-2003, 04:58 PM   #11
mrmojorisin

Thanks for all the help guys...i'm leaving work right now and i'm gonna try those out in the parking lot in a sec, so i should know in a few mins whether or not that was successful. i'll post again tomorrow.
Unread 09-03-2003, 10:26 AM   #12
mrmojorisin

Well yesterday I (after checking for error codes--there were none) disconnected the battery while the lights were on, then turned the ignition key to the starting position and held it there for 25 seconds. I then left the battery disconnected for an additional 5 minutes, and reconnected it. The airbag light still comes on when the key is in the ignition and beeps 5 times. The light then goes off. How do i know for certain the computer is reset? the clock and the mileage odometer (gas) were both reset. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Unread 09-03-2003, 10:44 AM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The computer was definitely reset, no doubt. I think I'd consider taking it to the dealer next to make sure the air bag system is up to snuff.

Unread 09-03-2003, 11:16 AM   #14
ian-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
The computer was definitely reset, no doubt. I think I'd consider taking it to the dealer next to make sure the air bag system is up to snuff.
agreed.

Unread 09-03-2003, 12:23 PM   #15
Sporty76

I don't know about Jeeps specifically but I had a similar situation with my Mustang. The airbag has it's own computer, seperate from the engine computer and it stores its own error codes. I was wiring in a CD changer and blew the airbag fuse. Once I turned on the key and the Airbag system did it's diagnostic check, it found the error and flashed a code (the dash light flashing). After I replaced the fuse, I still had a code. The computer will store current faults as well as past faults.

In order to reset the computer and erase the code, there was a small connector behind the glove box. I had to find it and then turn on the key. I then had about 10 seconds to short 2 pins in this connector before the airbag computer finished it's diagnostics. I held a paper clip on these 2 pins for like 30 seconds until I heard a beep and then the codes were reset. No more flashing light.

I realize that this was a Ford and you have a Jeep but the process has to be similar if not identical. The airbag computer is probably made by the same company for both vehicles.

A little internet searching will probably find you specific information on location of the reset plug and procedures for resetting the error codes. That is how I found the Mustang info.

Good luck
Frank

P.S. Sorry this got so long
Sporty76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.