air vent problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > air vent problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-18-2004, 12:32 AM   #1
Joey791

air vent problems

1st let me say i love this forum and i wish i had found this forum before i did most of my modifications on my jeep... Great jeep experts here!!! Anyways my question is my A/C works fine but the blower seems to get stuck in the Defrost position. I thought maybe a fuse was blown but i can't find the answer... JEEP FORUM to the rescue...........again

Unread 01-18-2004, 11:07 AM   #2
Scootr
2007 JK Wrangler 

Could be a vacuum problem with the actuator that selects the position.

[B] 2007 JK "X" 2dr [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Jeep Green[/COLOR],auto, 4.10's, 6 disc Infinity system with sub, 32's w/Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Series 8179 wheels, Smittybilt SRC side bars,Sirius 1 unit, Magellan Maestro 3100 GPS . Former Jeeps...02 and 05 TJ Sports
[COLOR="Red"]SEMPER FI ![/COLOR]
[/B]
Scootr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2004, 12:17 PM   #3
davenjeip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootr
Could be a vacuum problem with the actuator that selects the position.
I agree. Defrost is the default setting and when you aren't getting the vacuum, it goes to defrost.
davenjeip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2004, 11:40 PM   #4
Joey791

OK? i'm no mechanic soooooo where is the actuator and how do i fix it. Thanks for the help!!!
Unread 01-20-2004, 12:14 AM   #5
Tinker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

my 97 is suffering the same symptoms, all the air comes out the defrost ductting and its not very warm either.I will be watching this thread as well. Thom
Unread 01-20-2004, 12:22 PM   #6
GoTopless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineswinecycles
my 97 is suffering the same symptoms, all the air comes out the defrost ductting and its not very warm either.I will be watching this thread as well. Thom
same here ............................

[B][SIZE=4][URL=http://groups.myspace.com/jeepforumcom][COLOR=white]Jeepforum on MYSPACE[/COLOR] [/URL] [/SIZE] [/B]
GoTopless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2004, 08:00 PM   #7
dagger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey791
1st let me say i love this forum and i wish i had found this forum before i did most of my modifications on my jeep... Great jeep experts here!!! Anyways my question is my A/C works fine but the blower seems to get stuck in the Defrost position. I thought maybe a fuse was blown but i can't find the answer... JEEP FORUM to the rescue...........again

By chance did you fix the problem with the blower? I have the same issue with my 99TJ.
dagger55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2004, 10:50 PM   #8
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you have a slide type selector for the vents, check the cable. It can get a kink in it which makes it hard to move. Remove the assembly and use a pair of needle nose pliers to get it back in shape.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2004, 12:59 AM   #9
Kris B Krunch
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've got the same problem, exept mine still does hot air. I can either have the fan off, or in ANY of the other positions it's in defrost. Any suggestions on how to fis it? The slider seems to move around fine, but doesn't make that air sorta noise that it used to, if you know what I mean.
Warn xd9000i, 35x12.50 MT/R's, SYE/CV driveshaft.
8.8 with 4.56's front and back with an Aussie Locker up front. Poison Spyder HD steering upgrade.
Kris B Krunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2004, 06:42 AM   #10
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Location: royal oak michigan (hometown of DR. JACK KEVORKIAN)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris B Krunch
I've got the same problem, exept mine still does hot air. I can either have the fan off, or in ANY of the other positions it's in defrost. Any suggestions on how to fis it? The slider seems to move around fine, but doesn't make that air sorta noise that it used to, if you know what I mean.
I sure hope someone here can help as i have the same problem, only my air location will change from time to time. for example i set the air to come out the panel vents and i will stop at a light and the air will start to come out of the defroster, then when i accelerate it will change back to panel vents. i have been told it is probably a vacuum issue but i checked all my vacuum lines and they appear to be connected properly so i dont know what else to look for. if anyone can help if sure would be appreciated

thanks, paul.
paul olllllllo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2004, 10:51 AM   #11
powerstroke01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Mine is doing all of the above..
Unread 08-11-2004, 11:11 AM   #12
NV Jeep Girl

Hi there,

I am having the same problem, everything is coming out of the defroster vents, not the front vents. Anyone find a solution?

Thanks!
NV Jeep Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2004, 11:20 AM   #13
Tinker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine wound up being a broken vaccuum line under the battery going into the vaccuum canister. Once I repaired the break all was well again. Hope this helps. Thom
Unread 08-11-2004, 11:32 AM   #14
BNovak

I had the same thing, and took about a week to find the root of the problem.

Question that may help further diagnose the problem though...

Does your heater box make a "clunking" sound when you accelerate or brake? If it does, than most likely you have a broken control arm on one or more of the heater duct rods.

If it doesn't, check the vacum actuators. So here's what I would do.

First - Let's look at the vacum actuators.

1 - Get your head underneath the paneling on the drivers side - this is not fun, but you'll see where I'm going once you get there.

2 - there are 3 silver "cans" with 2 hoses on each one, and a lever coming out of one end - these are your actuators

3 - Start the engine, set the brake and find a friend - you can do this by yourself but it's a PITA.

4 - Turn the fan on LOW

5 - Move the selector lever from one setting to the next SLOWLY! Give it time to settle. As you move the control, the "cans" should move in and out, but they don't all move at the same time for each setting (top one is for the defroster, I think the bottom is for the floor vents, and you can guess what the middle does.)

6 - Check all the selector positions - if none of them move, then you have a vacum leak. If this is the case, better go find a vacum gun and figure out which one is broken.

If by chance you don't have a vacum leak, it COULD be the actuator cans themselves - they have a rubber diapraghm that potentially could break and cause it to not work.

Alright, if you've determined that the actuators work, time for the tough one.

This is to check the actual control arms.

1 - take off the plastic panel under the steering wheel
2 - take off the metal plate behind that
3 - find a flashlight (worklight on the floor of the jeep works too)
4 - Turn on the engine
5 - Move the control slider to the different settings, and watch the moevement of the arms coming off the silver cans.
6 - if the arms move, but the black plastic levers don't, they are broken.
7 - to remove a broken plastic thingy, there's two methods
7A - take the silver vacum actuator off, and grab the plastic arm with a pair pf pliers and pull really really hard straight out. It'll pop off eventually
7B - if it's like mine was, then the arm broke off inside where you cant grab it it get's even tricker. Get a really long decking screw or similar and drive it straght in. Grab the screw with the pliers and pull
8 - finding a replacement is tough - there's a jeep recycler on line (can't remember who it was, I'll go look when I get home) that MAY have these. If you go to the dealer, they'll look at you like you have 4 heads and try and get you to buy a whole new "Blender Box" which is what the heating system is refered to. DON"T DO IT. You only need the plastic arm, but even that will set you back $25 from a recylcer.

For some reason, these plastic things break all the time, and Jeep doesn't offer an "Off the shelf" replacement part. Stupid stupid stupid. If I had an injection molder, I'd start making them and selling them!

Hope this helps.
--BN
Unread 08-11-2004, 01:07 PM   #15
jtstj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Great info!! Upon researching in a service manual, I also found a 4th can. It is for the Recurculating door (on AC modles only). I also found several warnings about the AirBag system. So be careful when poking around, especially under the passenger side.

jtstj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.