Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-18-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
phillikw

Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer

Has anyone used this product before (Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer)? I would like to gain some fuel economy and don't know if this is worth the money. Hope someone knows

phillikw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
yellj

Won't do anything, except whistle a bit, snake oil for the Jeep's engine.
04 Unlimited RE SF 4.5", 1" MORE BL and MML, ARB Bull Bar, AR23 15x8, 35x12.5 MTRs, Jeep Medic Engine and T/F Skid, Shrockworks Rockers, Warn 9.5ti, AA SYE, ARBs, 4.88s and Alloy USA Shafts, HPD30 w JJs 1967 M416

www.midatlanticjeepers.com
yellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
phillikw

What do you mean Snake Oil?
phillikw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #4
fourtwenty
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillikw
What do you mean Snake Oil?
it means that what the manufacturers claim it can do, won't actually happen.
fourtwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
sixshooter05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here's my .02

For an engine with some form of port injection ( tuned, seq., multi....) it seems to be a waste of money. Your creating turbulence to far upstream of where the fuel is being added. Now with a throttle body or carb you may get a little better results. Now your adding fuel then getting your turbulence right away which should give you a pretty good air/fuel mix.
Blue Jeep Club #145
2005 Wrangler X Patriot Blue 4.0L 6 speed
RC 2.5 lift w/ 3/4" front spacers, 2.2 shocks & steering stabilizer. JKS disco's
3.07 gears 31x10.5x15LT Firestone Destination AT
sixshooter05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
azcoyote

So are these bunk as well or is it reasonable to think you can get 1-2 MPG and have the engine feel more responsive?

http://jeepsunlimited.com/mambo2/ind...d=37&Itemid=28
Unread 04-18-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
What The?
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcoyote
So are these bunk as well or is it reasonable to think you can get 1-2 MPG and have the engine feel more responsive?

http://jeepsunlimited.com/mambo2/ind...d=37&Itemid=28
In my opinion, they're crap also. I took off my stock airbox (I needed the room), and if anything, I LOST mpg. Others will disagree ....
Unread 04-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well knowing Iím going to get flamed big time for this, but I think they help. But, I have an auto and I can feel the difference at take off and low RPMís. With that said Iíve tried them in my other Jeep thatís a 5 speed and canít tell. Now hereís the big one, not only do I have one, but I have two of them stacked on top of each other. Both have been bored out along with my throttle body. I think possibly the taller plenum area helps. But, Iím sure itís all in my head. As long as I think it works, thatís OK with me. I donít really care as I did not have to pay for either one of them. So itís all a free experiment to me.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
sixshooter05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by What The?
In my opinion, they're crap also. I took off my stock airbox (I needed the room), and if anything, I LOST mpg. Others will disagree ....
Taking off the air box isn't good, now your bringing pre-heated air into the engine. A true cold air intake is better but I'm not sure it's worth the money.
Blue Jeep Club #145
2005 Wrangler X Patriot Blue 4.0L 6 speed
RC 2.5 lift w/ 3/4" front spacers, 2.2 shocks & steering stabilizer. JKS disco's
3.07 gears 31x10.5x15LT Firestone Destination AT
sixshooter05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
jkoffroadin
2009 JK Wrangler 

Shoot, if it doesn't work, it sounds cool as *****!!!

I haven't had mine on long enough to tell if it is worth it... we shall see.
Unread 04-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #11
RMeak
1955 CJ5 

I had one on my '98 SE, for power I can say it did really nothing but I did get better gas mileage. A few years ago going from 220 to 250 miles per tank wasn't much but today it may be worth it. I got it for about 50 bucks and as I figured(back then)it payed for itself in fuel savings the first month. I find that hard to believe is just snake oil, even if it is only 1-2 mpg improvement.
Unread 04-18-2006, 06:41 PM   #12
yellj

I would love to hear an explanation on how a TB spacer could possibly increase your MPG in a Jeep, 2 MPG, that would be a 15% increase in gas mileage on most Jeeps. Think about it logically, for about a $3 part that Chrysler could manufacture and significantly increase thier CAFE standard, they would. If it sounds too good to be true..........
04 Unlimited RE SF 4.5", 1" MORE BL and MML, ARB Bull Bar, AR23 15x8, 35x12.5 MTRs, Jeep Medic Engine and T/F Skid, Shrockworks Rockers, Warn 9.5ti, AA SYE, ARBs, 4.88s and Alloy USA Shafts, HPD30 w JJs 1967 M416

www.midatlanticjeepers.com
yellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 07:07 PM   #13
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I personally can't tell you if there is a difference as I put mine on at the same time as the 62mm throttle body and FIPK kit. Mine is not a brand name spacer, it was made by the guy that bored out my stock throttle body.

My friend hates the whistling sound, but thinks it is a little more responsive in the mid range.
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 07:37 PM   #14
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

.... do a search for throttle body spacer ( if search works )

you'll likely see that it's a bunch of experienced dudes saying they don't do nothin, and a bunch of newbies saying they're wrong.

I'm not exactly an experienced dude, but I fail to see how adding length to the air tube helps a damn thing. In the days of carbuereters, sure, but not anymore.

lj
Unread 04-18-2006, 08:17 PM   #15
RMeak
1955 CJ5 

The funny thing is that I can not explain the reason for any increase in fuel economy, believe me I totally understand any doubt here. But this is pretty simple, I bought the spacer to try and get a power increase, like many 4 banger owners, sure it seemed a little crisper but there is no way in hell that anyone could ever tell if a performance mod really did anything unless real #'s are being made and real performance parts are being replaced, and if I could remember I think Airaid said a 7-10 hp increase(woopee) and lets be real, a spacer is not going to do squat, so I fell for it. But I drove the same route, same distance, same traffic, and same driving style for years and I went from having to fill up the tank every Thursday morning, until the spacer. All of a sudden I was filling up on Friday morning...what the hell...so I ran a little test. I ran the Jeep really low then, filled it up, and I got 250 miles to a tank. I did that for a few weeks and the same results + or -. Then I took it off and I went back to the lower mileage. So stupid me decided to put the spacer back on because well, it is not suppose to do that, logic says no, all the Jeep experts on Jeepforum.com say no and well I really could not expalin it either, so who knows maybe my Jeep had a mystery cloud surrounding it and maybe I was the lucky one getting a little better mileage of my $$$. Can I explain why Jeep engineers have not done this no, but can you answer why they put those stupid looking caps on the ends of the bumpers...probally not right. Have I put a spacer on my '00 Sport not yet, I just have not had the time, but I just might when I find the time. But the thing cost me $50 or so and I got more range out of my tank.

Tags
airaid , body , spacer , throttle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.