Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Air Lift System for TJ

3K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  xtremeasures 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Has anyone installed an air lift system on their TJ front coils? Ordered a set from Air Lift, part # matches their website for a TJ front, but the air bags seem way to small. Just wondering if anyone had installed them and could tell me if I have the right parts. Thanks.

#3 ·
We had a guy on the trail with us with four air bags in his TJ, controllable by some kind of a joystick setup. He spent more time adjusting each airbag height trying to keep his Jeep level on a pretty uneven trail than anyone was willing to put up with. We finally bypassed him and his buddy who was equally frustrated.

#4 ·
This is a thing? Wow.

I'm looking at adding air bags for a different truck build I'm doing (to be used as a ATV/UTV hauler, general purpose parts getter, shop truck -- since my Jeep build is horrible at hauling long distances), but I might also go with leafs in the back.

OP why do you want to run air bags?

#6 ·
Take this for what it's worth. I put rear AirLift load support bags in mine. There are a few write ups floating around for how to run them on a TJ. Despite what AirLift tech support says, I think the important part is to find a bag size that fits just inside the space between the jounce and pad. Don't cut or remove the jounce. Additionally, when not in use, I run mine empty with an open bleed valve mounted on the dash. This is also against the official recommendation to always have a minimum of 3psi. After two years of daily driving, I have seen no reason for this yet, as the deflated bags, if sized well, don't flop around inside the coil.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I've had AirLift bags in my rear springs on both of my LJ-based Jeeps for years (9 years now in my Wrangler pickup). The bags are shorter than the springs, they work mostly by applying pressure to the inside of the spring coils so they don't need to be the same length as the springs.

BTW my experience differs from what another poster said, I've found that I need to keep enough pressure in them so they inflate enough to press against the inside of the springs. Without some pressure they may spin inside the spring which will twist/kink the air line. I usually keep 5-10 lbs. in them, that's enough to keep them in place but not enough to change the action of the suspension. I air them up to 20 lbs. or sometimes a bit more when carrying a load.

Also, since they're pretty small they're easily and quickly aired up with a bicycle pump. My bicycle pump is the small type that clips to the frame of a bicycle, so it's very easy to store in the Jeep. I have both bags connected with a "T" fitting leading to a Schrader valve mounted in the side bracket of my hitch. Unlike the guy Jerry mentioned, I use them in a "set it and forget it" mode, if I'm about to carry a load I air them up, if not I keep the pressure low.

#9 ·

BTW my experience differs from what another poster said, I've found that I need to keep enough pressure in them so they inflate enough to press against the inside of the springs. Without some pressure they may spin inside the spring which will twist/kink the air line. ....
I have a feeling that the final fit is dependent on which bags you end up using. If my memory is correct, there isn't a TJ specific bag for a 4" lift while factoring in the individual bump stop setup. I recall mine technically being for a Toyota Tacoma which has a different height and diameter than what AirLift told me I should be using for a TJ.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I don't recall the buggy being that color and I want to say the hydraulics were even more complicated, but I do think the guy was from the Midwest and there can't be that .many people doing this so probably is the guy and either he's had more than one design or my memory is just a bit fuzzy. Either way it's definitely the idea I was thinking of.

#15 ·
The AirRock system isn't just air bags that you put inside your coil springs. It is a total replacement system that replaces the coil springs. You have a controller mounted on your dash that you can control the up, down, side to side & corner to corner cant of the Jeep. There is an onboard computer that controls ride heights based on your speed and sensors that tell the computer what height you're at.
I have the AirRock kit on my TJ and like it a lot for running the sidehills in eastern Washington. If you just set it and let it control your ride most of the time it works good.

The complete kit.

The air bags.

The computer with the 4 outlets for air to each bag.

Height sensors

Dash controller.

#21 ·
Air Lift makes "in the coil" bags to increase load capacity, not to lift. So they should look too small. If you fill the coil with bag you will ride pretty poorly.

Up until this week I had them on my LJ Rubi for 8-9 years. Never a leak and they work great to increase the load on the rear. I have (had) a short OME lift with 33" tires and as far as the Jeep articulating correctly I could see no difference between before and after the bags. I just installed the Synergy 2" springs front and rear and although the front dropped a little the rear is actually about an inch higher than the OME HD (933?) springs. I didn't want the stiff ride of the 949 springs even though I am heavy in the rear. These Synergy units ride very nice with the Fox shocks. I have a little too much bump stop up front so that will need to be addressed. I'll see down the road if I'll need to put the bags back in.

#28 ·
Thanks for all the input. After getting the AirLift bags, they appear to be a real PITA to install. My mechanic buddy is telling me to just replace the front shocks with a set of air shocks. What do you all think of that advice? The AirLift kit I got was around $100. What's the cheapest air shock option? Thanks

#30 ·
Hey everyone just wanted to post back about my plowing experience now that I've used the TJ 4 times. It's works absolutely great for my needs (500 yards of gravel hilly terrain. Running with the air bags at 50 lbs and they work great. Heard a lot of people say don't play with a wrangler, won't work, etc. And I gotta say for a Frankenstein plow setup I'm impressed at it's capabilities. If i had a new plow with the right mount bet itd be even better haha. Easily clear 8" without even using chains. Really happy with the final outcome.

#31 ·
Excellent! :cheers2:

Now that I have thought back more, I probably misspoke... it was more likely hydraulic. Could be the same rig.
The one I am thinking of was a buggy not a jeep if that makes a difference. Guy would camp along Boone road on the way in with the buggy prominently parked so everyone sees it as they drive in, then he'd drive slowly by the lake bed along the way articulating the suspension to get everyone's attention and then go somewhere like Backdoor to show off and promptly break. I've been to JV three times (2 KOHs and 1 Thanksgiving) and I think he was there all three times. I'm sure Blaine knows who I'm talking about.
I figured you guys were talking about this one:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.