Air intake temp sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Air intake temp sensor

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Air intake temp sensor

I read this on another site. does this seem right?

Quote:
a buddy did this and i didn't believe him until i gave it a shot: just move the intake air temp sensor from the manifold to the intake tube. There is plenty of wire hidden in the harness to facilitate the move, so you don't have to splice longer wires in. Just remember to plug the hole in the manifold.

The reason this works:
As the engine warms up, so does the intake manifold, this heat gets transmitted to the sensor, so it tells the ECU the air charge is warmer than it actually is, so the ECU retards the ignition timing to prevent detonation. When you move the sensor to the plastic air tube, it picks up the actual air temp and keeps the timing advanced until it senses actual hot air (like when you are sitting in traffic)

What i have personally noticed since i did this:
gained an average of 2 MPG, cruises in 5th much better, crisper exhaust note, passed Calif. emmisions without a cat. converter! Still no detonation either.

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm inclined to call BS, at least on the part that it passed the Calif. emissions test without a cat. I'm in Calif. and the tester is required by law to check to make sure the catalytic converter(s) is still there and that it hasn't been modified. The tester will fail any vehicle in Calif. that doesn't have the factory catalytic converter installed and working properly.

Fooling the air temp sender can give a few benefits, one aftermarket performance kit includes that modification, but it's not going to pass a smog test like California's as was claimed.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

its a common mod apparently to move the IAT from the manifold to the tube. in fact, 05-06 TJ's came like that from the factory.

but i can confirm that the IAT stays about the same regardless, based on my observations and observations of others with 05-06 via Scangauge.

It won't improve your mileage at all.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I wasnt sure after the whole no cat thing in Cali. Just a quick thought tho. In Virginia Beach we dont get sniff checked or even have the ECU read out. think it would still work?

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomberJeep View Post
Yeah I wasnt sure after the whole no cat thing in Cali. Just a quick thought tho. In Virginia Beach we dont get sniff checked or even have the ECU read out. think it would still work?
no. it wont make a difference.

IAT talks to the computer to determine the air temp, which indicates air density, which in turn tells the computer how much fuel is needed to maintain the A/F ratio. its all hot under the hood - unless you've got a cowl true CAI, its worthless to do. even then mileage won't be effected in the long run because the computer will adjust back to its baseline.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.