ahh clink clank stupid control arm bolts. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ahh clink clank stupid control arm bolts.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
jalbs

ahh clink clank stupid control arm bolts.

I was wondering why in reverse if I hit a bump it would clank. I can move the rear upper control arm bolts by hand. These have never been touched so kinda odd but with all the work I did with JKS front/rear trackbars and quick discos should only take an hour max. Anything I am missing since I have seen conflicting info on the actual bolt sizes. m10x1.5x 80 to m10x1.75x???

Currie HD steering
JKS Front/Rear track bars
JKS quick discos
jalbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The bolt size is M10x1.50x78.20. <--- This is from the FSM.

If they are flopping around, its sounds like the bushings may be shot.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
jalbs

yeah they are shot I dont want to tighten it and bend the actual control arm metal.

Question:

Why do I still have severe bump/torque steer? I raised the T-case, aligned the axle don't have any vibes that I can notice. If at say 65mph I let off gass it pulls right and accelerating it pulls left. could it be the shot bushings in rear control arms?

I appreciate any response as this is my DD and need to drive on highway every day. As it is now I don't think it is safe!
Currie HD steering
JKS Front/Rear track bars
JKS quick discos
jalbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbs View Post
yeah they are shot I dont want to tighten it and bend the actual control arm metal.

Question:

Why do I still have severe bump/torque steer? I raised the T-case, aligned the axle don't have any vibes that I can notice. If at say 65mph I let off gass it pulls right and accelerating it pulls left. could it be the shot bushings in rear control arms?

I appreciate any response as this is my DD and need to drive on highway every day. As it is now I don't think it is safe!
bad control arm bushings are going introduce axle wrap and throw off thrust angle. the axle isn't going to want to stay perpendicular to the frame.

bump steer and torque steer are two different things. don't confuse them.

you can't bend the "control arm metal" by tightening the bolts. the Clevite bushings have a sleeve inside them. the bolt squeezes on the sleeve, making it immobile, the bushing acts as the pivot & cushion.

To replace the bushings, some people burn them out. Then collapse the housing, pull it out and press in the new one with a BFH.

I didn't want to make a huge mess, so I made a bushing press: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...ml#post9547610
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control arm , lca , bolt , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.