Aftermarket tailight guards - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aftermarket tailight guards

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-05-2004, 01:41 PM   #1
Pinebarrensboy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Aftermarket tailight guards

I was looking around at some old posts and it seemed like these are kind of a chore to put on. The ones I bought are from JC whitney, they are the ones with a solid back plate and 4 bars that wrap around the light with 3 screw holes and one larger hole for the wire harness. Anyone know of a website that covers this or has anyone here installed them yourself? Thanks in advance.

2003 Rubicon
2.25" Budget Boost / Skyjacker 7000 Hydros
265/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Pinebarrensboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2004, 01:45 PM   #2
Jeeper-4-Life

I put a set on kind of like the ones you described in under a half hour. Probably one of the easier mods.
Jeeper-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2004, 01:48 PM   #3
SirGCal

It really depends on what type you get.. The ones I got were really easy with basic hand tools.. you just removed the tail light, slid the protector over it and re-installed the light. The trickiest thing was getting the lense back on with the protector in place.. but it was farily easy..

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #4
seany425

It's a pretty easy mod, once you know what to do should take a half hour or less. The driver side goes in fine, you take off the taillight and dissconnect the wire so you can install the guard there will be foam padding around the connecter plug you will have to remove that and i reccomend wrapping it in electrical tape after you put it back so that it will stay together tight and water cant get into it. The passenger side is a little more of a pain but not too bad once you know what to do. Your wire should be shorter on the passenger side so that you can't pull the light out all of the way. Mine was, and thanks to the advice from someone on here, I pulled back the plastic wheel well molding from the rear passenger side and you should be able to get up inside to the wiring plug, and then repeat the same steps you did for the driver side. Hope this helps
seany425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
Pinebarrensboy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies guys!

2003 Rubicon
2.25" Budget Boost / Skyjacker 7000 Hydros
265/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Pinebarrensboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2004, 03:47 PM   #6
1BadTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had (still have) the taillight gaurds you are talkin about. Installation isnt bad but mine started to rust. Pulled em off and put in led's for the same price. If anyone wants to buy the guards pm me. $20
1BadTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2004, 08:53 PM   #7
redrubi04

I didn't have any more trouble with one than the other, but all you have to do is take of the red lens, unscrew the black housing, and then slip the guard over it. It can be kinda tricky to screw it all back together but not very hard overall.....Good Luck!
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]1" BL, 3" BDS, 2" RE Spacers, JKS Disco's, 35" BFG A/T's, etc.[/B] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #87[/B][/COLOR] [/FONT]
redrubi04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.